Who is going to TUSAB conference?

The bulk of the musical talk
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Who is going to TUSAB conference?

Post by scottw »

Exhibitors? I didn't find any kind of listing.
Attendees?
Bearin' up!
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Who is going to TUSAB conference?

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Arriving sometime Thursday. I'm not sure if I'll stay until the end, but I did last year.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Never thought I'd be going again since I left NY in 2012. It was a fairly easy drive from LI. But, since my son has been going to school at GMU, I've been going again the past 2 years. So, I"ll be flying in Thurs. night and I should be around Fri. and Sat. My nephew lives there too, so that's where we'll be for Super Bowl Sunday.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I like to take a day off and go Friday...
Last edited by Three Valves on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Tubaryan12 wrote:Arriving sometime Thursday. I'm not sure if I'll stay until the end, but I did last year.
I was not figuring on staying past Saturday AM, but I am glad we did. The grand concert was worth it.
Bearin' up!
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Does anyone have a vendors' list?
Bearin' up!
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

I will probably go this year but mainly just for Saturday unless I take off Friday from school.

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
sloan
On Ice
On Ice

Post by sloan »

Sadly, I'll be in the Dolomites.
Oh...wait...
Kenneth Sloan
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

Lee Stofer Music will be in attendance this year, the Good Lord Willing. I am working on two more of my CC tubas, have a variety of pre-owned instruments for sale as well, and have more mouthpieces in process. I will have Schlipf practice mutes for euphonium and tuba, as well as Humes and Berg aluminum straight mutes, and Hetman products.

This year, Buddy Roger's Music of Cincinnatti, Ohio, will be represented by tuba player/repairman Chris Hite, who will be joining me at the booth, with several instruments of their own, and the Robert Tucci line of mouthpieces.

I cannot bring everything to the Conference, so if there is a particular type of instrument that you are looking for, let me know, and I may be able to help you. I look forward to seeing many long-time friends and making new ones this year at Ft. Myer!
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

I’m probably the only one who didn’t know, but just in case:
TUSAB is The U. S. Army Band
They’re hosting a tuba and euphonium conference 1/31-2/3 in Ft. Meyer Virginia.
http://www.usarmyband.com/tuba/" target="_blank
Dan Bradley
bugler
bugler

Post by Dan Bradley »

I will be going to some of it. I am particularly excited for the Friday morning Bob Tucci warmup/masterclass as well as the Deanna Swoboda recital.

My first Army Conference was in 1992 when I was 11 years old and had been playing tuba for about 4 months. I got to see the Matteson-Phillips TubaJazz consort, which blew my mind. I wish that I had been a bit older to comprehend what I was hearing. Another great memory was seeing Travelin' Light & Roger Bobo at the conference in '95.

I always hear so many great players in the exhibits that it is intimidating!

Dan Bradley
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

scottw wrote:Does anyone have a vendors' list?
If the Potomac is still frozen I'll be selling socks, mittens and hot cocoa!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Wes Krygsman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Wes Krygsman »

I'll be there. Been going since 2004 and only missed one year for a 107 degree fever. Luckily my wife won the argument about me going that year. She was right.

To those that don't know about it, it's a great free event with many performances, masterclasses and lectures. I have learned so much there and take so many notes every year that have helped me become a better musician, tuba player, and teacher. I do my best to not miss it, I highly recommend it.
Wes Krygsman

Adjunct professor-Kean University
Freelance musician-NJ/NYC area & private lessons

Nirschl York 6/4 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Yamaha Ybb 103 BBb
Conn 36k Fiberglass sousaphone BBb
LCH3
bugler
bugler

Post by LCH3 »

Wes Krygsman wrote:I'll be there. Been going since 2004 and only missed one year for a 107 degree fever. Luckily my wife won the argument about me going that year. She was right.

To those that don't know about it, it's a great free event with many performances, masterclasses and lectures. I have learned so much there and take so many notes every year that have helped me become a better musician, tuba player, and teacher. I do my best to not miss it, I highly recommend it.
Wes is so right. He is a young man highly adept at the tuba whom I met at the conference in 2010. He helped this older guy (me) getting back into playing after a 40-year absence - and going from trumpet to tuba. Point being, it's a great place to make new friends and truly learn.

For the newcomers, it can be a very cold and windy walk from the performance hall to the exhibit hall (or "elephant room") so bring appropriate winter clothes/coats.
Larry Haake
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

I can’t say enough good things about the conference. I was going back in the 90s as a high school and then college student, and went to at least part of every conference until I left DC in 2012. I can admit that It loses some luster over the years, (especially in college when you know everything...) but it is easily one of the most influential aspects of my career and of our collective ‘culture’ of Tuba and Euphonium playing in the U.S. If you haven’t been, you owe it to yourself to go. I’m back in virginia and hoping to go to the saturday events! Hope to see the crowd!
johnhadden
bugler
bugler

Post by johnhadden »

I'll be there! Hopefully playing a little bit!

Find me at the BCUSA booth at some point. I'll be bouncing around.

-John
John Hadden
Brass Development Coordinator, Buffet Crampon USA
(904) 412-3682
john.hadden@buffetcrampon.com" target="_blank
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Will Jones wrote:. I’m back in virginia and hoping to go to the saturday events! Hope to see the crowd!
That's the problem: how will we know a fellow tubenetter? Maybe we need some stinkin' badges? :?
Bearin' up!
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

I’m pretty sure they are all... to some extent or another.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Does anyone know the list of vendors?
Bearin' up!
tubalex
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubalex »

I love this conference; in my opinion consistently the best tuba/euph conference. It’s relatively small (compared to ITEC), but truly excellent, very well run, and lots of fun.

I’ll be playing the first Strauss horn (tuba) concerto with the US Army orchestra Friday night. It’s quite a special thing for me; I remember being blown away at this conference by Traveling Light my senior year of high school, immediately after auditioning for Sam backstage, and playing in Bobo masterclasses there as a undergrad and then doctoral student. Super special memory of my IU quartet playing the pre-grand finale recital at the 2003 conference. Plus I grew up ten miles from the base.

This will be a year/career/life highlight, for sure. Hope to see you there!
Alexander Lapins, DM
Eastman Musical Instruments Artist
University of Tennessee Faculty
Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp Faculty
Quintasonic Brass
http://www.music.utk.edu/faculty/lapins.php