FS: B&S 56AFT $10,000

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
TJGraf
lurker
lurker

FS: B&S 56AFT $10,000

Post by TJGraf »

For sale is my B&S 56AFT. I purchased this horn at ITEC 2016 with the guidance of Aaron Tindall and Derek Fenstermacher. The horn is in great mechanical condition and only has a few cosmetic dings in easy-to-remove places. About a month ago, I had a Saturn water key put on the main slide, which opened up the low range noticeably and made the horn a little more free blowing and smooth. It has a big, open sound and keeps the color of a traditional rotary valve F tuba.

When I bought it, they were selling for around $11,000 new (I don’t know the current pricing but I can’t imagine it being much different). I’m asking $10,000, which includes the B&S gig bag the horn came with and some great Cuban food if you come pick it up in Miami! I am also willing to discuss shipping.

Pictures will be posted this evening when I get back to my computer.

If you’re interested, send me an message here on tubenet or an email at tjg84@miami.edu" target="_blank
Last edited by TJGraf on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TJ Graf
Principal Tuba, The Florida Orchestra
Performing Artist, Melton Meinl Weston | Buffet Group USA
Performing Artist, Denis Wick — London

MW 2165
MW 45SLP
MW 4450
MW 195 Fafner
TJGraf
lurker
lurker

Re: FS: B&S 56AFT $10,000

Post by TJGraf »

Having an issue uploading photos. Here is a link to a Google Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing" target="_blank
Last edited by TJGraf on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TJ Graf

MW 2165
MW 45SLP
MW 4450
MW 195 Fafner
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: FS: B&S 56AFT $8,000

Post by Ken Crawford »

TJGraf wrote:About a month ago, I had a Saturn water key put on the main slide, which opened up the low range noticeably and made the horn a little more free blowing and smooth.
Fascinating. How does the Saturn spit valve open up the low range, and make the horn more free blowing and smooth? I mean, it's just a valve soldered over a hole.
TJGraf
lurker
lurker

Post by TJGraf »

I’m the wrong person to ask about how the equipment works; I have not studied the physics behind it. This is just my observation on how my horn felt/feels to play before and after the key was added. I had it put on per Dr. Tindall’s recommendation, and multiple players who are familiar with my horn said they felt the same difference.
TJ Graf

MW 2165
MW 45SLP
MW 4450
MW 195 Fafner
TJGraf
lurker
lurker

Post by TJGraf »

Bump. Also interested in a trade+potential cash considerations (pending play-tests) for a good MW 4450/4460, MW 4250/4260, B&S Symphonie, or Alex F.
TJ Graf

MW 2165
MW 45SLP
MW 4450
MW 195 Fafner
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: FS: B&S 56AFT $8,000

Post by thevillagetuba »

kmorgancraw wrote:
TJGraf wrote:About a month ago, I had a Saturn water key put on the main slide, which opened up the low range noticeably and made the horn a little more free blowing and smooth.
Fascinating. How does the Saturn spit valve open up the low range, and make the horn more free blowing and smooth? I mean, it's just a valve soldered over a hole.
Compared to a traditional spit valve, which has part of the slide pushed out to meet the "valve"/cork, a Saturn water key is flush to the inside of the slide. This theoretically removes any bumps or alterations to the flow of air as it fills the tube as the bearing in the Saturn key sits in the hole and makes a smooth path. I have had the chance to test this with a couple of different models where two people had the same horn and they played similarly before switching to a Saturn key. One person would have the Saturn key added and then we would do a blind test of switching the slide between the horns to see who could tell a difference. I would say that 75% of the time I could definitely say I noticed a difference, with the rest of the time it was "meh". I have definitely noticed the most difference with rotary Fs in that it has cleaned up the trouble area below the staff and opened up the low range on everyone I have tried. Piston Fs are the second place where I see the most noticeable difference and Cs are the place where I am not always sure I see any change. I prefer this style to the traditional lever both aesthetically and because I tend to get the lever caught on my hand, shirt, case, etc. as I move around the horn and whatnot.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
TJGraf
lurker
lurker

Post by TJGraf »

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I love this horn,
And so will you.

:tuba: Happy Valentine's Day (BUMP)! :tuba:
TJ Graf

MW 2165
MW 45SLP
MW 4450
MW 195 Fafner
TJGraf
lurker
lurker

Post by TJGraf »

Back in Miami and am now able to move the horn again. Make me an offer!
TJ Graf

MW 2165
MW 45SLP
MW 4450
MW 195 Fafner
cle_tuba
bugler
bugler