Observations from DC

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Friday observations from DC

Post by bort »

Thanks Mark -- can you give the Miraphone Hagen (any models) a try, if possible?
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

Mark, you were temped by my piggy when I sold it last year.... and it was silver, magic silver at that.
:tuba:
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Did you honk on the new Wessex contrabass trombone prototype? Also interested in your impression of their big 6/4 BBb "Grand".

And of course their French tuba! 8)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

The onion rings at the bowling alley are top notch!!

I want to see the JMU Brass Band this afternoon.

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Sgt Thiele of the USMC Band (tuba)joined the JMU Brass Band for a feature. I’m glad I went. I also went back for more onion rings!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Observations from DC

Post by Ken Crawford »

Anyone give the BMB revised CC 6/4 a blow?
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Let's not ignore the obvious as well, that there's a gigantic difference playing a certain horn in a convention hall with no acoustics, and a million people around you talking loudly and other horns, drums, instruments playing anything and everything versus how it sounds "in the mix" with the ensemble you normally would play with either outdoors or in a concert hall. I've played amazing "sounding" horns that were perfect I thought in every way at NAMM once and had the chance to use the same one in my normal day to day group and it wasn't the same sound I heard in the convention environment. I guess it's truly up to preference nowadays as to what country you want building your horn.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

groth wrote:I guess it's truly up to preference nowadays as to what country you want building your horn.

It's a global economy. Your Buffet umbrella horn may already have Chinese valves in it...
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

kmorgancraw wrote:
groth wrote:I guess it's truly up to preference nowadays as to what country you want building your horn.

It's a global economy. Your Buffet umbrella horn may already have Chinese valves in it...
...but not your Miraphone!
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

kmorgancraw wrote:

What would you consider to be a Buffet "Umbrella" horn?
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

bort wrote:
kmorgancraw wrote:

...but not your Miraphone!
Or your Kanstul or your St. Pete, or your Rudy Meinl or Hirsbrunner etc.. :lol:
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Mark Finley wrote: The festivo was very nice. It played so much better than the prototype at ITEC 18 months ago. If you want a front action euphonium, buy without hesitation
What he said. Valves were better than last year, and it did seem to blow easier. It maybe mouthpiece sensitive, but I liked the sound from my JP 274 better. If I could make it sound like the JP, I'd be very tempted because the Festivo, to me, is so damn easy to hold.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Did the Wessex and Eastman 6/4 tubas take the world by storm?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Wessex valves did feel better and more consistent throughout their lineup.

I liked the little John Packer 4 valve piston. (Once I figured out how the tuning slides worked) But the 379B (the piggy looking one) is about the same size and you give up much less.

Packer is really taking over the scene. Retailers like Baltimore Brass have given up on JZ and Jinbao clones.

It was fun chatting with Mark, Joe and Jonathan briefly. I was hoping to get my hands on a Miraphone 282 just for giggles but Dillon didn’t have one this year. Like I’d actually buy it... :roll:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bort wrote:Did the Wessex and Eastman 6/4 tubas take the world by storm?
...and the BMB. But don’t take my word for it, ask them!!
PlayTheTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by PlayTheTuba »

I thought the 6/4 Martin BBb and 6/4 top action Holton were very, very nice. I always see everyone praising Martins and now I understand why. The low range didn't play very well BUT it was such a nice tuba! I wish that Martins never went out of business :( . I now have a very strong desire to own a Martin tuba. I guess I better get my degree and a job so I can buy one when one shows up for sale again!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Great to meet some of you at DC!

The horns which seemed the biggest hits (and least the most played) on the Wessex booth were the Chicago 6/4 CC (majority feedback was preference for the Presence with 18” bell), 6/4 BBb Grand, BBb Helicon, Duplex euphonium, French C tuba and Gnagey Eb.

But you won’t believe me if I say how great they play, which is why Wessex is exhibiting all over the states (as well as Spain and Austria) in 2018, so as many of you as possible get a chance to try - and decide for yourself.

We will be at TMEA and I am currently in the process of arranging stop-offs on roadtrip to Texas - of which I will post as finalised.

PS Today having a rest before the long drive!
TNID
lurker
lurker

Post by TNID »

Mark, it was very nice to speak with you as I was preparing to try out the MRP CC. A bit later I even got to sit and speak with Bob Tucci for a while, and he played a few things on the MRP for me.

I agree with you that the Tuono had an edge in some respects, and overall I got much more than I expected from that horn. I think the lack of traditional thumb ring made a big difference in that you could physically feel what the horn was doing much more than with other instruments.

This event was a great way for me to jump back into playing after a few years away. I went ahead with an order and should have a new silver Miraphone 1293 delivered this week. :D

Catch you a bit later,
Daniel
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Tell us a little more about the Wessex tournister euphonium. The price isn't too high and if it is necessary to carry a horn around which will play in the T-Bone/Euph/cello range, it might be handy.
pgym
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pgym »

Wyvern wrote:Great to meet some of you at DC! [Others, not so much.]
FTFY.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Don't take legal advice from a lawyer on the Internet. I'm a lawyer but I'm not your lawyer.