How many "original" York CC tubas do we have now?

The bulk of the musical talk
besson900
bugler
bugler

How many "original" York CC tubas do we have now?

Post by besson900 »

Hello guys!

I was thinking about how many York CC tubas were made and do you know how many of them are still playable? I know about two of them - Gene Pokorny tubas and one was for sale few months ago, but i didnt hear about other York CC tubas :|

Here is the link to this orginal York CC for sale ( the price is so high btw. :shock: :shock: :shock: )

http://tubista.com/tuba_york/" target="_blank" target="_blank
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Re: How many "orginal" York CC tubas we have now? ;)

Post by Peach »

besson900 wrote:Hello guys!

Here is the link to this orginal York CC for sale( the price is so high btw. :shock: :shock: :shock: )

http://tubista.com/tuba_york/" target="_blank" target="_blank
Yeah, that is NOT an Original York.
It's a copy.
Also I think the asking price is highly optimistic!
Best,
MP
Peach
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Copied by whom? Now I worry that someone will call my York (#3) a copy, when I get around to selling it.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

Donn wrote:Copied by whom? Now I worry that someone will call my York (#3) a copy, when I get around to selling it.
Here is the add for that tuba in the For Sale forum:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=85370&p=641591&hilit=Monke#p641591

It clearly states that it was made by Josef Monke in Cologne, Germany in 1987 as a copy of the famous York.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

The Monke horns don't look like they share many characteristics with the 6/4 "Chicago" Yorks. I think the similarities are only in being big and in CC. The Nirschl, Yamaha, Hirsbrunner, and dare I say the Chinese copies seem to be significantly more faithful to the original horns.

I believe that York only made two of the 6/4 horns and a handful of the 692 model in CC.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
besson900
bugler
bugler

Post by besson900 »

the elephant wrote:
I am assuming that you are asking specifically about the 6/4 CC tubas and not some other mode.
Yes I was writing just about 6/4 CC, I know that they made also F and probably BBb tubas but they are not that "famous" like 6/4 and I never see here topics about other key York tubas so I don't think so they are that good as CC
besson900
bugler
bugler

Post by besson900 »

I saw here 3 or 4 months ago that was for sale F York tuba that why I was sure that they made some of them :)
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

I'm guessing the York F was a Bob Rusk creation with Olds .656" valves. There are a few of them floating around.

In addition to the two Eb's Wade mentioned, they also made a tall/small model. 15" bell, but noticeably longer than the short one. I've only seen a couple.

I sold a factory York 696(?) CC a couple years back. It had a 22" fixed recording bell and front action. Really wish I could have kept that.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

In defensie of the Monke tuba (if it’s the one I had a chance to play) then it’s a brilliant instrument.
I’ve never played one of the York’s. Fortunately this instrument can’t stand on it’s own.
I’ve played one of Monke’s “York”’s and it played as easy and as smooth as cutting butter.

It’s entirely hand made (from a small shop in Cologne) so I’m assuming that this is the reason for the price.
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

york.jpg
Here a pic of two York CC tubas.

The one on the list is a Rusk cut and belongs to me. I love it. The one on the right belongs to a close friend. He as two 4/4 size original York CC tubas. They too are great playing horns. It is my understanding that York made about 12 CC tubas. So with these two and the CSO horns, that leave 8 others.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Oldschooltuba on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

Well I must say.... It's an idea.
Eric Hunter
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

PICS added above
Eric Hunter
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
besson900
bugler
bugler

Post by besson900 »

OMG what an beautiful combo with those 2 tubas :tuba:
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Jim Self's website has a picture of a 4/4 York CC that was restored by Lee Stofer. If my memory is correct, it belonged to the session player who played the Flintstones soundtracks. It's a gorgeous instrument.

http://www.bassethoundmusic.com/hardware.html" target="_blank about halfway down on the left.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
besson900
bugler
bugler

Post by besson900 »

On Baltimorebrass.net is for sale York F tuba model (last one on page)
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

besson900 wrote:On Baltimorebrass.net is for sale York F tuba model (last one on page)
Baltimore Brass Website Says wrote: A used York 5V F tuba assembled using York bell/bows and a King valve section. Features a removable leadpipe and 5th valve. Has cosmetic wear and some plating loss on the valves. Requires a strong ear for intonation. Classic York sound! Used, no case
This is not a factory built York tuba or even originally an F tuba. It is actually a "custom" tuba or a "cut" tuba. That distinction has been explained pretty clearly in this thread, I think. You cannot call this an "original" York.
the elephant wrote: You are confusing York tubas that have been cut to a new key by someone else. In THAT case there are many York tubas out there, including 6/4 horns, that were built in Bb or Eb that others cut to C or F decades later. Such tubas are not York products. They use York parts along with parts from other tubas (in most cases) to create a new tuba that sounds like the original but that use a much more modern valve section set up (four front-facing pistons and a rotary valve for 5th with a slide that lowers the pitch by a flat whole step).

Many of these horns are terrible because the person who cut them did something wrong. It is *very* difficult to successfully cut a horn to play in a new key. Some of them are very decent tubas, though, and usually net a very high price.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

GC wrote:Jim Self's website has a picture of a 4/4 York CC that was restored by Lee Stofer. If my memory is correct, it belonged to the session player who played the Flintstones soundtracks. It's a gorgeous instrument.

http://www.bassethoundmusic.com/hardware.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank about halfway down on the left.
I think the previous player was George Boujie (sp?). If I remember correctly, I read an article years ago where Mr. Self stated that he played the 4/4 York CC on the 1990's movie "Dennis the Menace". He stated that it is quite a 'lively' tuba. You can hear tuba throughout that movie :!: :tuba:
Last edited by toobagrowl on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

the elephant wrote: You are confusing York tubas that have been cut to a new key by someone else. In THAT case there are many York tubas out there, including 6/4 horns, that were built in Bb or Eb that others cut to C or F decades later. Such tubas are not York products. They use York parts along with parts from other tubas (in most cases) to create a new tuba that sounds like the original but that use a much more modern valve section set up (four front-facing pistons and a rotary valve for 5th with a slide that lowers the pitch by a flat whole step).
[/quote]

Elephant's description of my horn is spot on. However, Bob Rusk did a great job on this one. Playing it side by side with other Yorks, its sound is spot on. Intonation is very very good. It is a very responsive clear sounding 6/4 mostly York tuba. Not bad for a horn that is around 95 years old.
Eric Hunter
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: How many "original" York CC tubas do we have now?

Post by windshieldbug »

In the Simonetti tuba collection there is a horn marked "York and Sons" which is in F and BBb (a full double tuba). Since the valves are purpose-built, if not York, someone went to a LOT of trouble to build a York in F...

https://simonettitubacollection.com/ins ... uble-tuba/" target="_blank
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Re: How many "original" York CC tubas do we have now?

Post by happyroman »

In this video interview with Bob Rusk, he said that he was aware of 12 York CC tubas that were made, and knew the whereabouts of six of them. As we all know, Bob was famous not only as an excellent tubist with the Milwaukee Symphony for 25 years, but he also took York BBb tubas and cut them down to CC (as well as cutting Eb to F). During this time, he became quite an expert on York tubas, so this info is probably as good as one can find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE6E2Ne_D5k" target="_blank
Andy