Gold plating silver mouthpieces

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Gold plating silver mouthpieces

Post by TheTuba »

Ever know what a pure silver+gold mouthpiece will sound like?

From what I know, "silver" mouthpieces are brass with coatings.

-Raghul :tuba:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Gold

Post by TheTuba »

I know the reasons, but I just want to know if that type of mouthpiece will change your tone.

to re-clarify, Silver as the base, and gold on the outside.

(switching out brass with silver)

-Raghul
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

The material that a mouthpiece is made out of stirs great debate. In my opinion, the material doesn't make a big difference in the sound that comes out of the bell. The dimensions of the mouthpiece play a far greater role in changing tonal qualities. I've played stainless steel and brass mouthpieces, no difference because of the material for me. I think that when a person spends big bucks on a mouthpiece made of a material other than brass, they WANT TO BELIEVE that they are getting a return on their investment. Placebo madness reins supreme in the exotic instrument accessory department.

So would a mouthpiece made from solid silver or solid gold yield any sonic variables not offered by brass? No, but it might make you feel special, and feeling special isn't bad.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

In the horn world at least one maker has offered his signature mouthpiece in solid sterling silver. Richer sound, but not recommended for orchestra or ensemble playing, as it responds more slowly.

Klaus
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Yamaha used to have a 925 series of mouthpieces... I think just trumpet and French horn?... which were made out of 925 sterling silver. They were very expensive (clearly), and from what I've read, had softer response (as Klaus mentions). I'm guessing that some "hearing the grass grow" trumpet players might think there's a discernable difference and warmth, but who knows. Perhaps some kind of similar effect as the sterling silver bells on some of those old Kings? (Silversonic?)

A solid gold mouthpiece could easily cost more than the tuba it is used in. Gold is well over $1,000 per ounce (too lazy to look it up), and it would just be amazingly expensive. Then again, I guess it'd be possible. People buy solid gold flutes that make tubas look like bargains...
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

No.
Peach
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

Coming from the trombone side of things, we often have a somewhat different perspective. Plating in general serves mainly a hygienic purpose on the mouthpiece. Silver is used rather than gold mainly due to cost. Gold is chosen rather than silver mainly due to the feel (gold is somewhat more slippery than silver). I think bone players and tubists agree on that much.

Where we seem to differ is on the mass of the mouthpiece. In the trombone world, plastic mouthpieces are chosen for plastic horns, or in cold weather. The best playing situation is a lexan rim on a metal mouthpiece. Plastic mouthpieces don't seem to drive the sound on a trombone the way they do on a tuba. Plastic mouthpieces on trombone are generally reported to feel/sound dead. Plastic rim doesn't seem to have that effect. Going the other direction, megatone mouthpieces or mouthpieces with extra mass attached get mixed reviews. Some just say they are hard to steer, tone-wise, some say they change the overtones that are transmitted into the horn. Of course the marketing legend is that they play louder than normal mass mouthpieces.

The shape of the air column is definitely the prime factor when it comes to brass instrument sound, but the materials of the horn itself (including the mouthpiece) are also an audible factor. Sterling bells are much heavier than brass, and give a distinctive sound, even if it's primarily behind the bell. Nickel silver material gives a more strident sound. Other material differences are more subtle, like copper or red brass. Probably more important than the material itself is the heat treat/work hardening state of the bell. Harder materials favor higher frequency vibration, so a brighter tone than softer materials. This isn't to say what's good and what's bad, just that these properties have certain tendencies. Plus, multiple materials with conflicting tendencies are often mixed on instruments, and a bell material might have more or less effect than a bow, or a leadpipe, so predicting which conflicting property wins out is usually perceived as voodoo.

The plating process deposits an incredibly thin layer of material (~.00015 inches), so plating doesn't have more than a cosmetic effect, even when applied to an entire instrument, even an instrument as big as a tuba. A solid gold mouthpiece would be impractical due to cost and softness, but would probably sound very dead just due to the high weight and low stiffness of gold. Silver is less dense, and stiffer, so it would sound more like brass, but still be comparatively expensive. Brass is used because it is less expensive, even with copper as its main ingredient.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

And you'd get another story altogether, if you asked trumpet players who keep up with such things. I'm not sure the difference is inherent in the acoustics of the instrument, though.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Sorry if I seemed rude @the elephant

to answer your question, I'm not trying to buy anything of the sort, but just putting out a random thought that came into my head.

Sorry again to @Mark Finley if my post seemed a bit rude.

-Raghul