Back at it...

The bulk of the musical talk
TNID
lurker
lurker

Back at it...

Post by TNID »

I have been away from tuba playing for several years now, and have regretted the sale of my PT-5 for nearly as long. My 3-year-old son is growing a strong interest in music and musical instruments and has been asking me to get another tuba ever since he found out I used to play. Who am I to deny such an innocent request??? So last week I drove up to the Army conference and tried as many tubas as I could get my hands on. It was a difficult decision once I narrowed it down to the 1291, 1293, and GR41, but here we are. Today I welcomed home a new Miraphone 1293. Once I get my chops back up to speed, I'm hoping to find new opportunities to play out.

Cheers, all!

bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Re: Back at it...

Post by bone-a-phone »

Congrats! A beautiful shiny new horn should be a great motivation to practice. Plus, it sounds like you have a little cheer leader.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Congrats on the new horn! I'm jealous!
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Congratulations!
That is a beautiful horn and I am sure you will enjoy it as you enter back into the world of tubas! As you stated in your post, there is nothing like the innocent questioning of a child to spur one to action. It will benefit both of you.
Cheers!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

When you get back in it, you really get back in it!!

And thank you for wearing shoes!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
TNID
lurker
lurker

Post by TNID »

Three Valves wrote:And thank you for wearing shoes!!
Haha! You are very welcome!

Thanks, all, for the kind words. I only have about an hour of playing time so far on the new horn, but I'm really liking it. Higher ceilings in the practice area would be nice, but oh well.

The TU26 mouthpiece is interesting. I did all the pre-purchase test driving with a PT-88, but this Miraphone mouthpiece is much nicer than I expected for one that comes with a horn so I'm giving it a shot. It looks like something that Ivan Giddings would have produced. I wonder if he is supplying them to Miraphone..?

Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

TNID wrote:It looks like something that Ivan Giddings would have produced. I wonder if he is supplying them to Miraphone..?
As you surmised ...
The Horn Guys wrote: TU26 -- 32.9 Deep 41.0 8.2
Made of high grade stainless steel. By special order, call for price. Included with 1292 New Yorker CC, 1293 CC. This is a Giddings Alan Baer model.
TNID
lurker
lurker

Post by TNID »

As you surmised ...
The Horn Guys wrote: TU26 -- 32.9 Deep 41.0 8.2
Made of high grade stainless steel. By special order, call for price. Included with 1292 New Yorker CC, 1293 CC. This is a Giddings Alan Baer model.
Interesting! Thank you for the confirmation.