Student bass tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
TubaGuy304
lurker
lurker

Student bass tuba?

Post by TubaGuy304 »

Hi all,
Lately I've been looking around for a bass tuba and wanted to know some good student horns that could last through college at least. Also wanted to know if Chinese tubas are a good option. Let me Know!
Thanks!
Mirafone TE-186A CC
B&S 3100WG "JBL Classic"

South Portland, ME
University of Maine, Music Performance & Music Education (instrumental)
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Student bass tuba?

Post by DouglasJB »

I have owned a Wessex Strauss (PT15 Copy), a BMB F (18" bell) and a Wessex Berg (currently playing daily) and have had good results with all 3. Try before you buy, but that's true with ANY horn
fourbass
bugler
bugler

Post by fourbass »

Baltimore Brass has an Amati 4 rotor F for sale.
http://www.baltimorebrass.net/index.php?cat=5" target="_blank

Best.
https://sites.google.com/site/beckertuba/home-1
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Cerveny "Piggy" CC
B&S Symphonie Model F
Bundy tenor trombone
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

I would say try before you buy, and search all of the used tuba sources including this site. If you find a deal that looks good, give it a try, I have been very lucky in finding horns in my price range on tubenet that play great. In fact, I managed to pick up my Miraphone 181 on this site about 4 years ago for $3,500 in great condition. Remember that most F tubas, particulary the older german ones, have ‘interesting’ intonation quirks but can be worked around by learning the horn.

Also, I would personally stay away from less than 5 valves because there is a lot of rep out there that use nearly every note across the horn and I’m no fan of false tones. Thats just my opinion though.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

ps
Eb's are also bass tuba's. Many here on this board praise the compensating English style, Eb Yamaha being one of the toppers.
b.williams
4 valves
4 valves

Post by b.williams »

TubaGuy304 wrote:Hi all,
Lately I've been looking around for a bass tuba and wanted to know some good student horns that could last through college at least. Also wanted to know if Chinese tubas are a good option. Let me Know!
Thanks!
I have a Wessex Champion Eb tuba and it is excellent. Highly recommended.
Miraphone 191
Yamaha YBL-613HS Bass Trombone
b.williams
4 valves
4 valves

Post by b.williams »

fourbass wrote:Baltimore Brass has an Amati 4 rotor F for sale.
http://www.baltimorebrass.net/index.php?cat=5" target="_blank" target="_blank

Best.
I have this model. Finding the right mouthpiece is very important. The one I have is a lot of fun to play. I thnk of it as a combination bass trombone and euphonium on steroids.
Miraphone 191
Yamaha YBL-613HS Bass Trombone
Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaguyry »

I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't recommend the BMB F with the 18" bell highly enough. If I were a high school student getting ready to go to college, I would buy one of these horns -- used, if possible. It will do everything that 95% of students will ever need a tuba to do, and at a fraction of the price of "name brand" horns, and without the need to buy multiple horns. (I would imagine that the BMB Eb would perform the same role admirably, but can't speak to that since I have never played one.)

For those privileged few for whom money doesn't seem to be a concern, are there better options? Of course there are. It would be great if we could all afford one (or more) highly specialized small horn(s) for solos, another (or more) highly specialized large horn(s) for orchestral playing, and another (or more) in-between horn (s) for quintet and other general playing.

For the REST of us, it makes much more sense to have one affordable, do-everything horn. My BMB F certainly fits the bill for me. It is DEFINITELY worth taking the time to try one out, anyway.
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

Big Mouth Brass J-445LQ F
JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb
1964 Olds O-97 BBb sousaphone

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

fourbass wrote:Baltimore Brass has an Amati 4 rotor F for sale.
http://www.baltimorebrass.net/index.php?cat=5" target="_blank" target="_blank

Best.
I played a borrowed one of these for a horn gathering, quite a few years ago. It, for me, played every bit as well as my MW 3/4 182 F tuba. Maybe it was a stellar example, but I was pleasantly surprised.