Developing rash around my lips when I play

The bulk of the musical talk
julianbrass
lurker
lurker

Developing rash around my lips when I play

Post by julianbrass »

Hi everyone! I’ve been playing tuba for about a year after switching from euphonium to tuba. I’ve been recently getting these rashes when I play a lot. Do any of you maybe know why this is happening? Thanks.
-Julian
Tutuka Tutuka
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Developing rash around my lips when I play

Post by opus37 »

Does your mouthpiece have any bare brass spots that touch your lips? Have you cleaned your mouthpiece regularly?
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

If you have a little extra money try a plastic mouthpiece and see what happens. If you have a lot of extra money you can also try stainless steel. People buy either one to get away from the plating. I don't get a rash, but I don't mind playing a plastic mouthpiece purely for the convenience of it.
MORE AIR
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

A plastic mouthpiece would sure be worth a try - likely that would polycarbonate, trade name "Lexan", made by Kelly in several models, very popular.

In the interim, as an experiment, you can seal off the rim metal with fingernail polish. I do this with a Denis Wick mouthpiece with deteriorated plating that I don't care to replace. For someone with little fingernail painting experience, the easiest way to apply an even coat is to deposit a rim-size ring of polish, pretty thick, to a level surface, and drop the rim in that. I might smooth out a piece of plastic wrapping film on a table top, where it will stick because I spread a little water on the table, and then throw the plastic out after I've used it for the polish application. The fumes will be atrocious. The coating will be fairly resilient, but of course it chips on hard enough impact. It can easily be removed with acetone, though nicks or dents will be a little more trouble if you use a colored polish.
julianbrass
lurker
lurker

Post by julianbrass »

Thanks for all the suggestions I really appreciate it. To reply to opus37 yes I do clean it quite regularly due to how quickly it becomes dirty. And no there aren’t any bare brass parts that I know of.
Tutuka Tutuka
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

I am a multiallergic, but have no problems with mouthpiece rims out of silver, gold, plastic, or stainless steel.

But if I haven’t shaved very recently before playing, I get rashes on my upper lip, because my beard is very hard, so that the stubs are pushed back into their follicles. Since about 50 years ago I prefer wet shaving, where I warm up my upper lip by means of a fairly hot damp cloth before applying soap.

One reason for avoiding bare brass in any mouthpiece contact context is the brass formula used for mouthpiece blanks. It contains lead, because that improves the spawn behaviour on the turning lathe.

Klaus
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

At least one member of TubeNet has a jaw configuration like the right one on bloke’s picture. That player has a mouthpiece with a covex profile line, rather than a straight one,when seen from above.I don’t remember the name of his site, where several photos may be seen.

Klaus