Tuba Case- Mirafone/Miraphone 186- But Valves Down?

The bulk of the musical talk
Stephen Shoop
bugler
bugler

Tuba Case- Mirafone/Miraphone 186- But Valves Down?

Post by Stephen Shoop »

I have a case that is a perfect fit for a Mirafone/Miraphone 186.... except the tuba must go in with the valves down. In other words... instead of the bell end (wider end) facing left, the bell end faces right. Someone please tell me what brand/model of tuba(s) would be a perfect fit for this case (with the valves up). Thanks.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Tuba Case- Mirafone/Miraphone 186- But Valves Down?

Post by Dan Schultz »

The case is for a top action horn. Possibly a Yamaha YBB-201 or YBB-321. ... about the same size as a Miraphone 186 except the bugle is reversed.

You could probably use the case but beware that the leadpipe will be towards the hinge side of the case and exposed to damage from a bump when set down.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

You say that the case is a perfect fit, so I assume that when you close the lid the pressure on the valves is not enough to stress the tubing or braces.

When the lid is closed, does it depress the valves straight down or at an angle? If the valves are being pushed straight down, I don't see this as a disadvantage. The valve stems may actually be less likely to be damaged when down than when in the up position.

Changing the tuba for the sake of the case seems a rather extreme solution. If the case is not satisfactory, why not keep the tuba and change the case? (I suspect that your intention actually may be to sell the case, but you just need to find out who might want to buy it)

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
Stephen Shoop
bugler
bugler

Post by Stephen Shoop »

Gentlemen: Thanks for the information. This is an extra case I have had around for a couple of years.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Works the other way around too, I sold an old German Miraphone case to a guy who stuck a top action Yamaha into it and it fit. He was happy!