FINAL list of Mouthpiece upgrade

The bulk of the musical talk
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Re: FINAL list of Mouthpiece upgrade

Post by swillafew »

Long ago, I asked a teacher (symphony player with long career) "how you do select a mouthpiece?", and his answer, "I use the one that plays best in tune".
MORE AIR
PlayTheTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by PlayTheTuba »

I personally own a Bach 22, Denis Wick 2, PT-48, and a GW MMVI C EURO shank mouthpieces.
If the Wick 1L is anything like a Wick 2/2L then from your list I would say go with the RT50 or RT 48, assuming your buying a new mouthpiece. If you are not able to try between the RT50 and RT48 I would say get the 48. The 50, like a PT88 (bowl shaped instead funnel) I've tried the RT50 might be to big. I never tried Laskey's so I can't comment on them.

For solo playing I think that a 48 would be fine as long as you don't play a tuba bigger than a 4/4 with a bore bigger than .687/.689 . Eb's tubas, like a modern 3+1 comp like a John Packer 377, Miraphone, Besson, Yamaha, etc would probably work okay too. If you play tubas that are bigger than that you'll probably have to play so short that it would defeat the purpose of using a large mouthpiece for solos to begin with. Actually a 4/4 British style BBb might be okay with that large of a mouthpiece for solos too.

In conclusion, as long as no one complains then do what makes you happy. From your list and what I have tried I would vote for the RT48.
Note I think there is someone selling a PT48 in the for sale section.

But then again I do play a "D" tuba and own a very beat up King 1241. The King has way to many and deep ToneControlz® that where not professionally installed nor were tested to see if they are functionally beneficial. I am certain that its ToneControlz® were by accident. So what do I know :|
Good luck and happy hunting!
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

The elephant wrote:
I think that was very bad advice and poor teaching, which is not the same as counseling.
I don't think that you and I and your friend have a disagreement here. I said 'the biggest, darkest mpc to me is X and I don't recommend it, but if you have to try it, have at it and see for yourself.' I learned a long time ago not to argue with someone whose mind is already made up, esp. a young person. Many of us learn by making costly mistakes. That's too bad, but that's the way it is. And then, as Mark said, there's the odd outlier...

I understand your friend's concern for this young player and I share it. It's just that after they can walk and talk, they have to make certain mistakes for themselves. :(
royjohn
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

The elephant wrote:
This is the age when you are supposed to teach them to be an adult, not to cave to their whims. Honestly! In my studio if you are told to get something and you ignore me and get something else you immediately find another teacher. Period. I do not have time to waste on students who waste my time. It goes both ways. I need to perform and the kid needs to perform.
Maybe it's my personality, but I tend to pick up on the kids who are contrarians and work with them...actually that may be the difference between the kids in counseling and the [achieving] kids in tuba lessons. If it was one, two, three and you're out in counseling, you wouldn't help much of anybody. My guess is that there are some tuba kids (including the OP and several others who've participated here) who also fit this description. The one and done authoritarian approach is not going to work with them, but I'm sure you already know that.

Again, let me say that I don't think that you and I have a difference of opinion on the mpc. If I were working with this kid, I might allow the mpc trial and arrange a test where he could get feedback from some respected listeners or hear what others sounded like on a too big mpc. My wife would be amused at my being called an enabler. I had a good laugh, too. I'm really a pretty rigid old dude myself. :D :D :D
royjohn
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

bloke wrote:
I DO, though, admire teachers who (I suspect) put up with "talking to the wall" with most students in order to ENJOY teaching one, two, or a handful of students who possess both curiosity and motivation.
I think it might be a matter of personality type...I didn't want to bring this up and "pontificate" [incredibly bad choice of words] more, but teachers tend to be more black and white types whereas psychologists are more loosey goosey and relative. For me it's actually not a matter of putting up with the "talking to a wall" students in order to have the others, but a matter of being sympathetic to the contrarians and fascinated by the problem of how to reach and teach them.

I do notice on here that there are some folks for whom there is only one way... :shock: :shock: :shock:
royjohn
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

Bloke,
I think you'd be a GREAT teacher. Maybe not for ten year olds, who would, on first meeting himself and his penetrating gaze, pee their pants, but as a high priced (weeds out the unmotivated) Skype-ish consultant. Don't your colleagues seek you out for advice. Especially the masochistic ones [LOL]! :D :D :D

No, seriously, though...when I get past the beer maidens and the [ahem] noises, you really say some erudite and memorable things. :!: :!: :!:
royjohn
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

royjohn wrote:Again, let me say that I don't think that you and I have a difference of opinion on the mpc.
Nor is it clear that you even have a difference of opinion about the actual situation here, i.e., Tubenet topic "FINAL list of Mouthpiece upgrade." Which is neither a private teacher/student, nor a counselor/kid relationship, but rather a third completely different thing: an online opinion-fest. We don't have any responsibility whatever, beyond truthful and civil representation of our opinions, and even that's somewhat relative thing that doesn't mean on Tubenet what it could mean elsewhere. The reality of the situation is unknown to us - could be a disgruntled Tubenet member posting under a new ID, for all we know. In the absence of the knowledge needed to really help, it just has to be understood and maybe ought to be a disclaimer that everyone has to read: we aren't responsible for outcomes.
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

I know what you mean about boring trying to teach unmotivated students. I think regular lessons are overrated. They may be good for schoolkids who need to be motivated every week and spoon fed, but for adults a consultation model makes more sense to me. You tell me some stuff and give me something to work on and I come back after a week or a month or two months or whatever when I want to show my progress and get some feedback. I wrote, I think earlier in this thread, about three extended (three hours or so each) lessons I had with Dave Wilken. They were spaced months apart and were focused on embouchure issues...mainly mpc placement and "pivot." These three lessons unblocked my lack of progress and let me feel that what I lacked mainly was practice to lock in what I'd been shown and to exercise muscles which hadn't been in the mix before. My current problem is that these lessons were on trumpet and don't completely transfer easily to tuba. So I guess I'll be back for another few consults at some point.

I'd think of you, Bloke, more as a tuba guru whose mountain you climb when you're looking for the answer to a burning question. As a therapist I endured my share of sessions with unmotivated clients. I also attended, as a trainee, some group workshops filled with motivated professionals who at times almost came to blows over whose turn it was next. I saw truly life changing work occur literally non-stop all day long. Maybe this is "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

But I think it could be fun for you to function as a consultant with motivated advanced students. Your hesitation only makes you a more attractive expert.
royjohn
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I'm hoping my "tuba studies" will count to my "community service" now that I'm out of the slammer!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Why else would I go to so many Tuba Christmas' and AA meetings and Kollig??

I needs my ticket punched!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.