Any opinions on the New Wessex 6/4 BBb or Helicon?

The bulk of the musical talk
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Any opinions on the New Wessex 6/4 BBb or Helicon?

Post by Wyvern »

I have just dropped off a Wessex Grand 6/4 BBb (together with both versions of Chicago 6/4 CC) with Chris Olka of Cincinnati Symphony to thoroughly play test and make video reviews. So look out for those in the next few weeks.
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Frank Ortega »

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all of the educated and useful responses. I hadn't checked this in a while.

Who are the Wessex dealers in the States? Unfortunately, I did not make it to the Army conference this year.

Best Regards,
Frank
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

I think? It's just the Wessex store in Michigan that sells the instruments. I could be totally wrong, but I believe they're the sole dealer here in the States.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Art Hovey wrote:I played on the BBb helicon last week at the Army Tuba Conference and liked it. I also brought in my own Buescher (with the Bohm & Meinl valve section which has been my favorite tuba and main money-making horn for 50 years) for comparison. I am still happy with it, but would be equally happy with the Wessex. The removable bell is an especially nice feature.
That Saturday, I ended up buying that helicon for my second line group. I was impressed by the spot-on intonation, round tone, and Jonathan’s consideration for the little things like the left-hand adjustable tuning slide and ergonomic valve caps.

My section-mate ending up buying it off of me that night! (She needed a mobile axe and I have a nice nice 36K already). SHE :wink: also has no issues wearing/dancing around in the horn nor putting out some sound! Pics and some video clips on Instagram @ltrainbrass @theryanhallway happy to send more in you PM me.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Sousaswag wrote:I think? It's just the Wessex store in Michigan that sells the instruments. I could be totally wrong, but I believe they're the sole dealer here in the States.
Wessex generally sells direct in the states from our Michigan warehouse, as that enables us to keep our prices reasonable. Selling through a dealer network increases retail prices.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

The Wessex BBb helicon is definitely heavier than a 3-valve Pan Am, because it has a 4th valve and a lot of well-placed bracing and reinforcement. I don't think it is significantly heavier than my four-valve Buescher. I would really like to see a fiberglass bell for that instrument; that would make it much lighter. Purists will complain that the sound might suffer, but I am willing to bet that an honest blindfold test would render that objection moot.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Hey Art !! I'm still looking for a fiberglass bell for my Jupiter/Stofer CC sousaphone. I doubt it would change the sound much and it would reduce the weight by a few pounds. That's enough to make it easier to hold, for me. Plus, most of the time I have a mic in it. No brainer for older guys!
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Art Hovey wrote:The Wessex BBb helicon is definitely heavier than a 3-valve Pan Am, because it has a 4th valve and a lot of well-placed bracing and reinforcement. I don't think it is significantly heavier than my four-valve Buescher. I would really like to see a fiberglass bell for that instrument; that would make it much lighter. Purists will complain that the sound might suffer, but I am willing to bet that an honest blindfold test would render that objection moot.
If the player was sitting in a chair to play, the weight wouldn't mean a lot so the "better sounding" metal bell might be preferable. But, if the horn is used for reasons why someone has a helicon (marching, standing, on the back of a horse), the lighter weight could trump (sorry!) the slight sound advantage of metal.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

"Triggered!!"

Slowly I turn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuBtURtFNX8" target="_blank
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
pigman
bugler
bugler

Post by pigman »

I played it at TMEA . Much better thn the CC
Im must add that none of the Asian big horns played for crap in th e low register including the Eastman. They all had a towel in the bell. Nice upper and middle on most . But who gets paid to play high notes?

All dogs in my opinion