SF Bay CL: La Sete Tuba

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: SF Bay CL: La Sete Tuba

Post by Donn »

I think a Tubenet search would turn up some information about this brand, too lazy to do it myself. I'm surprised by the clock spring valves, though.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

These are great tubas. I wish that I hadn't sold the not so pretty one that passed through my hands a couple of years ago. Beautiful, sonorous voice and pretty well in tune.
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

hrender wrote:Looks like a B&S 101 clone.
As I recall, the consensus of the apparently lost thread was that the L.A. music store that sold these assembled them from parts and components that they imported from Germany.

I spoke with an ex-Tubenetter who had purchased one of these NOS directly from one of the brother-owners of the business in the 1980s. Was in warehouse space owned by the brother.

The one I had was an ex-school horn and not very pretty but after working over the valves and play condition dent removal it was a wonderful player. The one in the ad looks great - if I didn't already own too many fine BBb tubas I would be quietly waiting ...
Life is Good.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

google search as follows

Code: Select all

"la sete" site:chisham.com
... should return a lot of head-scratching discussion, not much enlightenment.
bigtubby wrote: As I recall, the consensus of the apparently lost thread was that the L.A. music store that sold these assembled them from parts and components that they imported from Germany.

I spoke with an ex-Tubenetter who had purchased one of these NOS directly from one of the brother-owners of the business in the 1980s. Was in warehouse space owned by the brother.
That coincides with my recollection, but
bigtubby wrote: The one I had was an ex-school horn and not very pretty but after working over the valves and play condition dent removal it was a wonderful player.
... yours is older, isn't it? Maybe I'm just being fooled by the condition, shiny doesn't necessarily mean new, but I was thinking this one is '60s.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

Donn wrote: ...
... yours is older, isn't it? Maybe I'm just being fooled by the condition, shiny doesn't necessarily mean new, but I was thinking this one is '60s.
The only difference that I see is the weird lead pipe fender on the one in the ad - which I think is likely after market.

The ex-Tubenetter sent me a photo of his when it was new and it also looked identical. From the ones I've seen I am inclined to believe that they had come up with a design and either had them built or assembled them.
Life is Good.
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

I have it's lesser known Eb sibling. It's stamped "Western Germany" on the leadpipe. Mine is beat to crap, but sounds pretty good.