Wessex Luzern - Anyone try one?

The bulk of the musical talk
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Wessex Luzern - Anyone try one?

Post by Ken Crawford »

Doc wrote:
Mark Finley wrote:They are getting away from the jinbao clones...
It never dawned on me to ask Chuck or Jonathan if there were any large rotary BBb (5/4, 6/4, BART) in their future plans or thought processes. Any ideas?

Maybe they will also chime in...
Go to the "Wessex what would you like" thread in the sponsors area, second to last post.
tubacorbin
bugler
bugler

Post by tubacorbin »

Doc wrote: ...large rotary BBb (5/4, 6/4, BART) in their future plans...
Living in the SF Bay Area, a BART tuba is humorous to me.
ufonium2
bugler
bugler

Post by ufonium2 »

A student of mine has an early Luzern, bought secondhand. I love the sound of it. However, the linkages are not great HOWEVER, the linkages were somehow modified by a tech for the first owner. I don't understand how (or how much) they were modified, as I wasn't there when it was explained to my student, and I've never seen another one up close to compare, but I've wondered if the modification caused the wonky linkages or if it was an attempt to correct already wonky linkages. Aside from that issue--which may only be relevant to this horn because of the modification--it's a great tuba.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

ufonium2 wrote:A student of mine has an early Luzern, bought secondhand. I love the sound of it. However, the linkages are not great HOWEVER, the linkages were somehow modified by a tech for the first owner. I don't understand how (or how much) they were modified, as I wasn't there when it was explained to my student, and I've never seen another one up close to compare, but I've wondered if the modification caused the wonky linkages or if it was an attempt to correct already wonky linkages. Aside from that issue--which may only be relevant to this horn because of the modification--it's a great tuba.
Linkages on most Wessex rotary valve tubas have been seriously upgraded lately according to management.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

At present Wessex has no plans to discontinue the TB575 Luzern, as it is a good playing tuba, very popular (we keep selling out!) and the 5th valve makes it not a clone as such - while the Z valves and upgraded linkage makes it a cut above the competition.

There was not a Luzern at TMEA, as I wanted to show off the new horns, and there was no space on booth, or in van. To show the whole range we would probably need a 30’ X 60’ booth and a Semi to transport all the stock there :)
MoCoTubaBone
lurker
lurker

Post by MoCoTubaBone »

How would you say the Luzern and the Viverna compare to each other?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

MoCoTubaBone wrote:How would you say the Luzern and the Viverna compare to each other?
The Viverna is in effect the piston valve version of the Luzern as they share the same bell and outer bows. Which to get depends on if you prefer piston, to rotary valves.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Wyvern wrote:
MoCoTubaBone wrote:How would you say the Luzern and the Viverna compare to each other?
The Viverna is in effect the piston valve version of the Luzern as they share the same bell and outer bows. Which to get depends on if you prefer piston, to rotary valves.
Isn't the Viverna closer to a BBb Wyvern?

P.S. Will there be a fully up to date Berg at NWRTEC?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

The spec for the Viverna was a BBb version of the Wyvern (Viverna is Italian for Wyvern), but parts wise they only share the valves

There are only new Berg in stock. It is unfortunate if we sell out because people have to wait, but then when we have stock, they are all the latest version
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Doc wrote:Any more info on the Kaiser BBb?
No not until August
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Post by Jim Brewer »

This would be a question for Jonathan, if the valve set is from a 5/4 Wyvern and the bell and bows are from a 5/4 Luzern, wouldn’t the Viverna be considered a 5/4?? Just a goofy question since the sound is what counts. I’m seriously considering the Viverna for a Bb horn and it is top of the list with 5 valves and th vented pistons! Seems to be a better value against the 4/4 BMB.
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Meinl Weston model 30 CC #147
Pan American Eb 52J
Selmer Paris K-modified trombone
Shenandoah Conservatory '79
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Jim Brewer wrote:This would be a question for Jonathan, if the valve set is from a 5/4 Wyvern and the bell and bows are from a 5/4 Luzern, wouldn’t the Viverna be considered a 5/4?? Just a goofy question since the sound is what counts. I’m seriously considering the Viverna for a Bb horn and it is top of the list with 5 valves and th vented pistons! Seems to be a better value against the 4/4 BMB.
it is on the border line size wise, so I decided to slot it in 4/4 - but could be either really
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Wyvern wrote:At present Wessex has no plans to discontinue the TB575 Luzern, as it is a good playing tuba, very popular (we keep selling out!) and the 5th valve makes it not a clone as such - while the Z valves and upgraded linkage makes it a cut above the competition.

There was not a Luzern at TMEA, as I wanted to show off the new horns, and there was no space on booth, or in van. To show the whole range we would probably need a 30’ X 60’ booth and a Semi to transport all the stock there :)

Hi Johnathan

I don't post much anymore as I just don't have time to but your comment about the improvements you have made and calling these a cut above the competition frankly is a little off and insulting in my opinion. Yes it's great you have upgraded your linkages and paddle assemblies and have come out with some interesting instruments, some good and some in my opinion not so good, you should be careful with how you make some of your comments as some are frankly insulting.

Let me tell you about your upgrades to your linkages and paddle, monel valves on your 1150 and even your venting of the valves on your 1150. I upgraded my linkages and paddles long ago with the same you are using today on all my tubas. When you came out with upgrading your 1150 euph with monel style valves, these are actually standard on that model and always have been. Venting your valves on the 1150? Well that just makes no sense at all as venting valves on most eup models is a waste and pretty useless in my opinion. Calling your stuff a cut above the competition is your opinion and you really should state that this is just your opinion and not fact. Unless you have done some extensive studies and have proven and repeatable data to back up your statements, you should take care in not insulting your competition. Remember one thing, when I don't have something in stock I recommend my competition by name, your company included, when a customer needs something right away if I am out of stock and will continue to do so in order to provide the best customer experience in the world, that's just my opinion and don't claim it as fact.

Keep doing the upgrades as you see them and keep doing what your doing as I think it's a great thing but keep in mind that some of your upgrades you are doing have already been done a long time ago by some of your competition. I will say I should update my website with my current changes but I find it more exciting showing people what they used to look like so they can compare with what they actually receive. Take care, Tom
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Hi Tom, I in no way wanted to insult you, but I don’t think what I say is just my opinion, but a statement of fact. Let me explain...

No other company is investing the time, work and money in improving instruments made at the Jinbao factory like Wessex does. I have had four people working hard here in China the last two weeks not just developing exciting new tubas, but looking at every step of the manufacturing process and improving. If you have seen an improvement in the finish, valve threads or even soldering in the stock you receive, that will be a large part due to all the work Wessex does in China. However while some improvements are no doubt filtering through to manufacturing for other companies (which is great) - where extra cost is involved they will be confined to Wessex as I will pay extra for higher quality, such as our double thickness silver-plating.

Wessex have in effect become quality and manufacturing consultants to Jinbao (particularly Chuck Nickles) - we have become partners, friends and not just another overseas customer. As a result of all that work and close relationship, Jinbao get their best workers to make Wessex and pay greater attention to quality for us than any other company. For example the polishers are paid a bonus to do special good job for Wessex Tubas.

And that is not just out of goodwill, but because they know very well that we will be here every quarter at factory carefully quality assuring every single horn before accepting. Even with the special care they take for Wessex quality, we still kick-back more than 50% to have something improved, a part replaced, or complete re-building because they do not reach Wessex high quality standards. It can sometime be difficult to reject - particularly if we have customers waiting, but maintaining Wessex quality and reputation is paramount, even if that means I loose sales because people can’t wait.

I have not examined products for other companies, except a 210 BBb this last week being made for unknown company (could be yours?) we checked after silver-plating while examining the plating process in which we found more that half dozen defects Wessex would never have accepted (but had passed the factory QA). Therefore with Wessex being made by Jinbao’s best workers and us still kicking back more than 50% for improvement, it is inconceivable that Wessex instruments are anything other than a cut above the competition who do not check in person at the factory.

Greater work, investment and attention to details, means better products.

Once again, sorry if I have offended you in any way, but I am only stating facts
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Back to the original question...

I have not tried the Luzern but I’d like to.

Would I appreciate a fifth valve?? Probably not... :shock:

Would I like the Z-valves?? Maybe...

Could I tell the difference in fit and finish?? I’d like to find out...

Would it be worth an extra several hundred dollars to me?? That’s why we live in America and have choices!!

:tuba:

Disclaimer: I have been a customer of both Wessex and Mack Brass and am presently a non-compensated Mack Brass Artiste!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.