TMEA-New Tempest SOnorous II?

The bulk of the musical talk
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

TMEA-New Tempest SOnorous II?

Post by eupho »

Did anyone who attended TMEA have the opportunity to test play the new Tempest Agility Winds Sonorous II BBb tuba?
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: TMEA-New Tempest SOnorous II?

Post by Ken Crawford »

eupho wrote:Did anyone who attended TMEA have the opportunity to test play the new Tempest Agility Winds Sonorous II BBb tuba?
Also known as the Mack TU210 or Wessex Luzern (minus a 5th valve). I don't know why anyone would care about the Tempest version.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Ken Crawford wrote:
eupho wrote:Did anyone who attended TMEA have the opportunity to test play the new Tempest Agility Winds Sonorous II BBb tuba?
..... I don't know why anyone would care about the Tempest version.
Geeze, it's pretty obvious, it's so you could pay more and buy from an unknown source...
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

I am well aware of the "skinny" on Tempest. The Sonorous II is not the 210 model. It is a more compact wrap with the 17" bell. I was just curious. Seems to me the appropriate reply to my question is simply, "Yes" or "No".
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
PlayTheTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by PlayTheTuba »

The "skinny" Mack Brass tuba is the 200

The same tuba that Mack sells aka the Tempest sonorous II is the Mack 210, in other words the Hirsbrunner copy. Mack brass on their websites says it is a 4/4 but it is a 5/4 tuba. After all manufacturers aren't super consistent to "sizes." Pay attention to the leadpipes shape, how it enters the valve section and main tuning slide shape. Also look at the fourth valve rap, the thumb ring position, the lyre holder location, the distance between the first valve slide and bell, the two upper bows and its position. And the connection thingy that connects the bows to each other especially the bottom bow and bell, they are exactly the same.

Here is a video of the Mack 200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aedYl9aYwr8" target="_blank

And here is a video of the Mack 210 or also known as the "sonorous II." Also note that the tuba is lacquared just like the ebay ad for the Temptest tuba. Also looks at this videos description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAf3fqbRFrk" target="_blank
PlayTheTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by PlayTheTuba »

The only "skinny" tuba that I see on Tempests website is the CC tuba which is a copy of a Miraphone 186 CC. Mack Brass also sells that tuba too as the MACK-TU410.

Tempest lists their CC for $3,795.00 and I am not sure if that is for the lacquered or the silver tuba. I assume it is a lacquer tuba.

Mack Brass sells that CC for $1895.00 lacquered, they even offer a gold brass bell version for $2095.00, and the silver one sells for $2195.00.

Mack Brass also has a good reputation espiecially on TubeNet. I am not sure if I can say the same thing for Tempest Agility Winds on this forum.

Both Mack Brass and Tempest horns are JinBao's just in case you didn't know. Note the Wiseman that Mack Brass sells is not made by Jinbao.

Also check this forum post from dwerden.com

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthread ... lity-Winds" target="_blank
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

The 411, the scoop, the shizzle...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
PlayTheTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by PlayTheTuba »

skinny
"The skinny" is a slang term that refers to inside information. Similar to the "low down".
The 411, the scoop, the shizzle...
Learn something new everyday!