"Tuba Crime Wave Sweeps America"

The bulk of the musical talk
Bowerybum
bugler
bugler

"Tuba Crime Wave Sweeps America"

Post by Bowerybum »

From today's WSJ. Front page below the fold. Go figure......................................

https://www.wsj.com/articles/people-are ... ge=1&pos=1" target="_blank" target="_blank
"When the legend becomes fact, print
the legend."
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: "Tuba Crime Wave Sweeps America"

Post by Donn »

Can you give us non-subscribers a hint as to what it's about?
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NCSUSousa »

Article talks about the frequency of Tuba theft, presents a few cases that are unsolved (Los Angeles, CA theft trend that started then stopped, NC Greensboro Page High School Sousa thefts), and presents a couple of cases of players getting their instruments back - with content from the players.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
Bowerybum
bugler
bugler

Post by Bowerybum »

Try this. WSJ Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/wsj/posts/1015 ... &ref=notif" target="_blank" target="_blank
"When the legend becomes fact, print
the legend."
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Front Page WSJ.
Now EVERYBODY will want to steal one just to be "cool"... :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

That reminds me - is Generalissimo Francisco Franco still dead?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Is there anything more sad than tuba-on-tuba-player crime?? :(
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

Its an old meme, but it checks out.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Here is what I have done and would advise.
1. Insure your horns
2. Keep good records of serial numbers, with photos. Maybe even the original purchase receipt.
3. As soon as it is stolen, contact the police. (One of the scams here is to bring a large ticket (like a bicycle) item to the police station, so the police can issue a declaration so it can be pawned without any suspicion. If you don't have the serial numbers, the police won't even open a file around here. (This related more to stolen bikes, but I assum their attitude is the same with all items -I live near a city with over 2000 stolen bikes a year)

While tubists may like Hatchback sedans like the Toyota Matrix (I almost bought one last year). I opted for the Corolla instead as a closed trunk does not raise any suspicion but a covered hatch certainly does, especially when parked in an city. An EEb tuba fits in the trunk no problem.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

around Bachs, never relax.
Mark

Post by Mark »

If my tuba is in my car, I am in my car.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Just a couple of years ago I received a call from a fellow wanting to sell me a St. Pete. I had made arrangements for the guy to come by my shop the next morning. Early the next morning I received a call from the low brass professor that the St Pete I had sold the university two years ago went missing the day before. The thief actually walked out of the university and tried to sell the stolen horn to me.... the person who sold it to the university in the first place. The university security, professor, and the local sheriff were standing in my shop when the thief arrived. Stupid criminal. Went away for many years on the 'three strikes and you're out' rule. End of story.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Dan Schultz wrote:Just a couple of years ago I received a call from a fellow wanting to sell me a St. Pete. I had made arrangements for the guy to come by my shop the next morning. Early the next morning I received a call from the low brass professor that the St Pete I had sold the university two years ago went missing the day before. The thief actually walked out of the university and tried to sell the stolen horn to me.... the person who sold it to the university in the first place. The university security, professor, and the local sheriff were standing in my shop when the thief arrived. Stupid criminal. Went away for many years on the 'three strikes and you're out' rule. End of story.
This is an AWESOME story! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

Saw this today on Facebook:

Very sad news - my tubas, one of my students tubas, mouth pieces, and laptop were stolen from my UNM office between 7:20pm after my NMPHIL concert last night on 3/24/18 and today 3/25/18 5:50pm! Adams Custom Series 6/4 (serial number 48386) Adams Custom Solo F ( serial number 48131) Cerveny 5 valve CC!!! Please share and help! I am very sad right now!!! Gig bags are all black with Adams logo and hard case for the Cerveny! Any information email rawhite@unm.edu" target="_blank" target="_blank Thank You

I don't know them but I looked up the person

http://music.unm.edu/faculty/richard-white/" target="_blank" target="_blank
MORE AIR
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I agree with:
a) if the tuba is in the car, I am in the car
b) insure your instruments (I use Clarion)
c) if in an emergency you HAVE to leave your instrument in the car, have enough messy stuff in the car that it cannot be obvious that even such a thing as a tuba is in there. If you can fit it in the trunk, make sure you are not followed to where you are going. There were times when I left my violin in the car, but it was always, always on the floor in the back covered with just plain junk. That, however, was decades ago and now is a different time.

Even with the junk idea, a friend of mine whose car always looks like a bomb went off in it, has twice had it broken into and things stolen. Admittedly not in the best of neighborhoods.

I have lost a hell of a lot more money on real estate than I would have if every single instrument I own had been stolen.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

When I used to live in a bad neighbourhood I purchased a very long thick chain and a high quality lock. My rehearsal space used to be a small factory and there was a heavy metal shackle cemented into the wall. I'd put the chain through the top bows of my tubas and lock it to the shackle whenever I was out or asleep. (of coarse I padded the chain to protect my axe and was very careful.)

Many thieves are breaking in for a quick theft and indeed at some point they hit my place, stole some loose change, a lighter, my keys and my H&B tuba mute.

I have no idea what a junky/thief would want a tuba mute for.