PT80 mouthpiece ?

The bulk of the musical talk
rudysan
bugler
bugler

PT80 mouthpiece ?

Post by rudysan »

Hi,

Does somebody has experience with a PT80 mouthpiece ? I am thinking on trying it on F tuba. How deep is the cup ?

Thanks.
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

PT-80 Mouthpiece

Post by Robert Tucci »

Rudy,

This is something we have made for many years. It has a cushion-rim, comfortable blowing resistance and tends toward a mellow sound. It does work very nicely: my former colleague, Finn Schumacker, and I used this for years on our "B & S" PT-10 F-tubas. In light of many new developments in mouthpieces for the F or Eb-tuba, sales of this model have dropped off in recent years. It is a bit old-fashioned but works.

Please note that we no longer supply mouthpieces sold under the Perantucci name to the former U.S. distributor.

It would be interesting to know what type of instrument you use and the type of ensembles in which you perform? That would make it easier to suggest the mouthpiece that would best serve your needs.

Bob Tucci
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Re: PT80 mouthpiece ?

Post by Ben »

I recently purchased one of these in to use on my Alex 163 C. Currently the horn is very responsive to the PT-70, and my hope was to round out the sound a slight bit. For whatever reason, the PT-80 seemed too much of an air hog from an efficiency perspective compared to the 70. It sat on my counter for a few months UNTIL..

The quintet I play with does some very demanding quintet literature. My F-tuba does this well, but when confronted with the demands of nimble and rapid upper register licks combined with the demands of low range FF cantus firmus extreme Fp and other dynamic swells found in modern lit... The PT-64 was too shrill, and the PT-70: while better was still not lush enough for my taste. On a whim, when tested, the PT-80 seemed to allow me to make the music in my head, with out the air issues noticed in the 163.

Both instruments have MP derived intonation sensitivities, and for some reason, the PT-80 did not offend either instruments to my notice. Regarding depth: I don't have the pieces in front of me at the moment. I can get back to you on that. YMMV, but good luck.
Ben Vokits
NYC/Philly area Freelancer
Nautilus Brass Quintet
Alex 164C, 163C, 155F; HB1P