First Glimpse of the forthcoming Wessex CC Helicon

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

First Glimpse of the forthcoming Wessex CC Helicon

Post by Wyvern »

Development prototype for Wessex forthcoming CC Helicon has been proceeding well during our current trip to China, with this project being led by Carl Kleinsteuber of Texas.

Here are a couple of pictures. The helicon is not finished as yet, but plays well to pitch with good intonation and a nice rich tone.

This is one I look forward to using myself when it comes out for strolling gigs. Dimensions are 20” bell with 0.7” bore. At present it has 4-valves, but we may add 5th later if there is demand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wyvern on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Re: First Glympse of the forthcoming Wessex CC Helicon

Post by Kirley »

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

No detachable bell. And no full circle 4th valve. I guess things need to change when you lose a whole step.

Also, is the bugle from a different maker (preexisting) with a Wessex valve section attached?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: First Glimpse of the forthcoming Wessex CC Helicon

Post by Wyvern »

It is a development prototype. The bell will be detachable on production helicon

Yes made using partial old parts. That is how new model tubas are usually developed
binlove
bugler
bugler

Post by binlove »

Seems like it would be easier to get into a car.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

I have the BBb Wessex Helicon (I picked up the “scratch and dent” one that Jonathan mentioned a couple of months ago). It fits in a Protec gig bag. The bell is a bit taller than the standard sousaphone bell but the body takes up less space due to the lack of an elbow at the collar. That trade off allows it to fit decently.

It all depends on where you put the collar. I’d encourage Jonathan to see if he can make the CC helicon bell match another detachable bell tuba collar. Just like the XL did for... was it Martins?

Obviously, 2XJ tubas would be an excellent option. But that’s probably a bit large for the CC helicon. Maybe Kings or Olds?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Thanks!
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

How’s this coming along?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

BrooklynBass wrote:How’s this coming along?
Waiting in line for CAD drawing to be made. We design new tubas quicker than factory can tool up to manufacture!