POLL: mouthpipe position issues

The bulk of the musical talk

Should I...

remove, anneal, re-bend, re-install, and re-round the mouthpipe tube?
15%
add 1-1/2 inches of tubing to the small side of my main tuning slide (raising up the entire valveset), and remove the equivalent amount of length from the tuning slide ferrules?
5%
reposition my own legs (which the support tuba) only three inches apart, so the the mouthpiece lines up perfectly with my mouth ?
80%

Total votes: 20

Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: POLL: mouthpipe position issues

Post by Dan Schultz »

You really need a fourth option.... buy a tuba rest.

I spent ten years moving mouthpipes on my earlier tubas until I discovered the ease of just using a tuba rest.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
MEWienand
bugler
bugler

Post by MEWienand »

Tuba rest, set it and forget it.
I am 6'5" and Play principal Eb in a Brass band, Our Principal Bb is 6'10" We both use a tuba rest now and it is pure bliss. We laugh at how much of a difference it has made.
Mark Wienand
Willson 2900s Euphonium
Yamaha 87D Horn
Desert Winds Freedom Band
LGBA Brass
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

A tuba rest gives you the height you want, but not necessarily the angle.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
Big Francis
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Francis »

I had the mouthpipe on my 2155 bent up and out a bit for the same reasons. It's much more comfortable playing. There is a small pinhole leak where it was bent, but it's not going to break my heart to have it replaced with a 45slp-size mouthpipe sooner rather than later.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I don’t have buns of steel like you do, so I use a playing stand/tuba rest!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

bloke wrote:it's actually the muscles on the insides of the thighs which are used to "lock" the the thighs in position.

Found that out the sore way when recovering from my crash! :D
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

bloke wrote:I'm built one way, and - pretty much - can find a way to comfortably hold/play most (not every single) tuba when combining leg spacing and instrument tilt.
Yup. Two people can be the same height, but one have long legs and short torso, the other the opposite. They may need different approaches.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:I think (??) it's actually the muscles on the insides of the thighs which are used to "lock" the the thighs in position.
Those are probably some of the weakest leg muscles with most people, and exercising them is awkward - yet possible.
Don’t make me post the link of that chick crushing watermelons again!! :shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Dan Bradley
bugler
bugler

Post by Dan Bradley »

I agree that a tuba stand is ideal. I think modding the horn should be a last resort. Another option is to get a horn that fits you better. I get where you're coming from; I hate horns that are not ergonomic. I had a Hirsbrunner CC where some giant had owned it in the past and moved the leadpipe up 3 inches. When I got it, the receiver hit me in the forehead. I HAD to use a stand. Even setting on the chair was too high. Good luck.

Dan Bradley