Looking for people to try lubes

The bulk of the musical talk
ResilienceOils
lurker
lurker

Looking for people to try lubes

Post by ResilienceOils »

Hello,
I am looking for some musicians to check out my new product and give me feed back. I have little cred in the tuba world, but have had rave reviews all throughout the land. If anyone would like some free samples of resilienceoils.com please send me email. matt@resilienceoils.com" target="_blank and I will send you some samples! I am only trying to produce the highest quality products on the market.
Thanks,
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Looking for people to try lubes

Post by Ken Herrick »

You may want to consider becoming a sponsor if you plan to hawk your wares here.
Free to tuba: good home
ResilienceOils
lurker
lurker

Post by ResilienceOils »

I appreciate all of the interest in trying out the product. I have about 30 people as the email has been a feeding frenzy. I have run out of padding shipping containers and have more on order so if you aren't in the first round I apologize and will get some sent to after the packaging arrives!
Thanks Again!
ResilienceOils
lurker
lurker

Post by ResilienceOils »

I believe you are on the first go around :)
ResilienceOils
lurker
lurker

Post by ResilienceOils »

Has anyone tried their stuff out yet? I sent out bunches!
Tuba Shorty
lurker
lurker

Post by Tuba Shorty »

I just got mine and I'm trying out it out today! I just have to clean out my tuba before I try the valve oil. I'll update once I've used it for a bit.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Biggs »

Nice to see TubeNet already filling some of the market void for people displaced by the demise of the craigslist personals section.
Tuba Shorty
lurker
lurker

Post by Tuba Shorty »

First Impressions:
-The Professional Valve Oil coated my valves very easily unlike the Blue Juice I was previously using (I deep cleaned my tuba before using the resilience oils).
-The Professional Valve Oil was covering my entire valve but the valve felt a little clanky (it could just be because I went from bone dry to adding oil or that the tuba is 20+ years old so it has more wear on the valves).
-The MTS Grease is THICK. I realized that the Kick Gel was meant to be used with it to thin it out. The 2 Combined very well and my valve slides have never moved so fluently! (I used petroleum jelly before and it barely lasted about a week).
-The MTS Grease gets very stuck onto your hands because it's sticky and thick.
-The MTS Grease had a slight odor that was pungent like nail polish.
-The Kick Gel was thicker than the valve oil but thin enough to even out the thickness (almost felt like the thickness of baby oil).

These were just my first impressions and my opinions might change after more use of them but, overall these products were great! The valve oil very easily coated my valves but, there seemed to be space in between the valve and the valve casing. The valve oil is probably meant for tighter valve casings unlike my old 20 year old yahama that's been misused by freshman at my school. I personally would not want a slide grease that is so thick that I need kick gel to thin it out but, they do run smoothly together. Only time will tell how fast the products wear out.
PChadbourne
bugler
bugler

Post by PChadbourne »

Just sent an email!
S. E. Shires Co. Craftsman
Eastman EBE-853
H. N. White Eb Sousa
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Once again, a quick first impression: The kick slide gel worked very well on my 1st slide, very smooth and quick. That slide is very well-fitted, so that jibes with some other comments above. I found the MTS grease very thick and slow--I'll try thinning it with the Kick Slide stuff. The valve oil didn't seem to make much difference on the rotors of my 186, they still work very well.
I just tried it yesterday, so I will have to see if this all changes over time and usage. Positive, though, so far. 8)
Bearin' up!
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

As a follow-up, today I tried both lubes on my 150-yo bass saxhorn, in which the slides are sadly lacking good alignment. Applied liberally, this was unable to make them work smoothly. [memo to self: it is high time you got them aligned properly!]
The effect on the 186 was pretty good, the old one not so much. I really like the kick slide gel on my 1st slide on the 186.
Bearin' up!
ResilienceOils
lurker
lurker

Post by ResilienceOils »

Hello All,
Thanks for all the feedback! I Have gotten so many requests that I have just sent out another set of oils. If you didn't get any the first go around you should be seeing some in your mail box this week! Thanks Again!
Tuba Shorty
lurker
lurker

Post by Tuba Shorty »

As a follow up of my first impression,
I gotta say, Man I AM IMPRESSED! The products all work so great for me! I'll go into a bit more detail below.
VALVE OIL
*coats the entire valve
*sticks to the valve (rather than running down and into the bottom of the valve casing)
*Lasts a lot longer than the average valve oil (I forgot to oil my valves for 3 days and I was completely fine)
*The valve oil combines well with my saliva and does not cause build up (This may not pertain to everyone)
TUNING GREASE
*lasts a long time
*thins out from moisture that moves through the instrument (So that balances out the thickness)
*Does dry out fast if your slides are not pushed in
KICK GEL
*made immovable slides movable again
*was an easy touch up to add to already greased slides

My only concern would be that the tuning grease dries out real quick when the slides aren't pushed in all the way. Other than that, AMAZING!
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

I've tried out all three of the products on various parts of three horns I have (Martin Mammoth top-action, Martin Mammoth sousa, and a King 1241). Here are my impressions:

Valve oil:
Felt good on both my Martin and King tubas, but for whatever reason, feels FANTASTIC on the sousaphone.
Not sure why it made so much more of a difference on the Mammoth sousaphone in comparison to my Mammoth tuba, as they're both Martin and the valves have about the same wear, but the sousaphone's valves are lighter and quicker than they've ever been with this oil.

Slide grease:
Yes it is rather thick, but the action is still pretty good. For My main tuning slide on the Mammoth, I added a touch of the kick gel on top of the grease to speed up the action and I'm happy with the result.

Kick gel:
because all of my slides point down on my Martin, I used the gel sparingly on it, and because I never need to pull slides on the King, I neglected to use it on that horn as well. HOWEVER, my Mammoth sousaphone has a top 1st slide 8) so I lubed that up entirely with the kick gel and now it moves lightning fast so I can do a little on the fly adjustments now if I choose. The kick gel was fantastic for this particular slide.

All things considered, I'm quite happy with the products provided and will most likely buy them again when my current supply runs out, as the oil and gel have worked wonders for my sousaphone in particular.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

My trial package came in the mail today! I'm excited to try them out.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
ResilienceOils
lurker
lurker

Post by ResilienceOils »

What the word yo?
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
I have tried the oil, the MTS grease, and the kick gel....BEST products I have used! The oil is incredible....really a great product. The kick gel is wonderful on stubborn slides. The MTS grease is very smooth.
This company is REALLY fantastic...a huge two thumbs up!
Mark
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

This product was recommended to me by Chris Hite of Buddy Roger's Music on a chance conversation while discussing the valves on the John Packer euphonium in their display. I emailed Matt and my sample arrived today. I had cleaned my horn over the weekend, and yes, the valves were still sticking. I put about 3 drops of the valve oil on each valve and so far, so good.....not a single sluggish moment. I will update this post as the weeks go on and i put the horns through a rehearsal or two.

One note: I oiled the valves, and this is the first time I've done it where the oil didn't run down the valve, over the threads, and down the valve casing.

****Update****

I'm a couple of rehearsals and a performance into the oil now and I am completely sold. I see no reason to try any other oil. The horns have performed perfectly since trying this product. No catching, no sluggish moments. I can actually go into a performance and only worry about me and not my equipment. I have several bottles of half used oil that will be used for other things besides my horns.

Thanks Matt!
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

The oil is outstanding. Looking forward to slide and rotor oil development.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

Got my samples in the mail last week, and so far initial impressions are good. One thing I do want to note is that I did NOT do a full cleaning on either of the horns tested thus far. Warburton makes a product called Clean-Stroke Valve Wash, and not to distract from the product on hand, but I've found it perfect for situations where I want to test out different oils, etc. Also worth mentioning, I have tried out MANY different oils at this point, for reasons I'll get into in a moment. My old favorite was an ancient bottle of Roche Thomas, but for most of my horns I have been using La Tromba T2 for years. On my flugabone the valves are considerably worn so I have to use Hetman's Classic Piston.

Initial thoughts: As others have mentioned, the valve oil is very substantial and has more of a true oily texture than many watery brands on the market. It doesn't have much of a smell and it flows easily onto the valves. The slide grease is more of a clear gel, and I already like it substantially more than the "lip balm" style grease that you get from most brands. The slide kick oil is similar to the valve oil but a much thicker consistency. This one I didn't have much use for but I appreciate it could be very useful for certain horns.

The first horn I tested out was my 1918 Chicago Holton Eb. The valve set from this horn is not original, but rather borrowed from a much later (but still vintage) Holton sousaphone. Therefore the valves do have some wear, but not so much that Hetman's Classic was ever really useful. T2 has been hit or miss. After using the valve wash for about a half hour, I wiped the valves down and liberally applied the F1 valve oil. Initial result... Not so hot. A little sluggish. HOWEVER, I played for another 30-60 minutes, reapplying oil a few times, and it was getting much better! It could be there was still some leftover T2 on the valves that needed to be washed out, but by the end of the session I was quite happy with the valve action.

After that I pulled out my B&S PT-37S euphonium. This horn has ALWAYS had issues with the first valve. This is a big part of why I've tried so many different oils over the years. The valves themselves are very heavy for a euphonium, and I generally have to stretch out the springs to get the valves to return in a timely manner. Truth be told, this horn could definitely use a good cleaning, but for the time being I used Clean-Stroke and gave the valves a thorough rubdown. Once again, initial valve action was not ideal, but after a short break-in the result was very promising. At this point I'd kind of had enough playing for the day, but I will definitely follow up on this. I used the slide grease on this horn and as mentioned before, I definitely like how it works.

I have yet to try out the oil on my Olds flugabone (worn valves require Hetman's Classic) or my JP Sterling baritone (new valves with some break-in issues), so you can expect another post in the future with those horns and a final verdict. Thanks to Matt from Resilience Oils for the samples!