Tiger/CoolWind tuba cut to CC?

Repair and modification discussion
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Tiger/CoolWind tuba cut to CC?

Post by eupho »

Has anyone out their had their plastic Tiger/CoolWind BBb tuba cut to CC or even EEb? I am not a repair guy but it seems like it would be pretty easy to do the actual cutting. Of course, the measurements would need to be accurate.
Just curious.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Tiger/CoolWind tuba cut to CC?

Post by roweenie »

Cutting branches to remove material requires some expanding to restore taper, which I don't see as being possible when working with plastic.

My question would be, why?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

It's your money. Have a good time. Wee.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

As to why? If it's to get a lightweight, small CC that plays well, then just get a Yamaha 621CC.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

the elephant wrote: Once you trim the branches you will find that they no longer fit together, since you made the small ends larger in diameter and the big ends smaller because they are tapered.
Heck, didn't a certain professional make a cottage industry for himself of cutting up legacy BBb tubas and telescoping the large bows up inside each other?

Surely this is a fine, time-tested solution. :lol:
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

If I compare how easy it is for me cut through PVC with a hacksaw, or to cut a branch with the same hack saw, it don't see it much easier. Plus with the brass, it's easy to remove the the tubing from the ferrule with a torch, with plastic I don't know what glue would be used (our if I'd have to sand it out with a dremel.)I'm not sure what kind of glue would be needed to hold a plastic tuba back together (Abs cement?, pvc cement?, Polyurathane glue?, epoxy?)

Is a CC or Eb plastic tuba a worthwhile project. Maybe, but I'm going to let the makers make it before I do.

The whole cut to CC thing stems from a time (pre 1980s) when large quality CC tubas were not available, labor was cheap and used large BBb tubas were cheap. None of those three conditions hold true anymore. In the past 5 years, the Chinese tubas have increased in quality and models are way more varied. One thing that caught my eye recently was that Sam Gnagey struggled to sell one of his horns for the same price he was selling them 10 years ago. His horns use to fly like cupcakes, but now, similar horns are available new from a company for less money with less wait time. As much as people like to complain that everything has gone up in price in the past decade, I would say that it's not true. (yes, everything that is an essential has gone up in preice (groceries, rent, gas, utilisities, taxes, etc) But most luxury and non essentials have not gone up. TVs, smart phones, computers, they've all gone down in the past decade(You can buy a computer for $5 today, that is more powerful than one you would have paid $3000 for 30 years ago) . Used products are also way more available with FB classifieds and Craigslist sales.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

Casca Grossa wrote:Just get this...http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/A ... 44962.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Yes!
And then tell us all about it.
Plastic Piston CC!
Now if they’d just make one in BBb... :D
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

If my memory serves me correctly, this Yama copy got a real bad review.
On the other hand the Tiger's are doing rather well under the critics as far as sound and intonation is concerned. I've tried one myself and can vouch for this. But the valves made a disgusting amount of noise. And I've no idea as to how durable the valves are, but the easy generation models also got a bad review in this department.
Ya pays yur nickel ya takes ye chances
or something like that.
There is a future in this, if only because they are very lightweight.
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

the elephant wrote:And after all that you will have this partially unpainted Home Depot DIY bathroom project-looking horn.
Spray painting it silver should not only make it airtight again but also give it a world class sound. Might as well book a spot for it on the OFFICIAL LIST.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

bloke wrote:I could imagine some negative reaction to this politically-incorrect question, but...

...Isn't is pretty much true that the C version is the least-popular - as well as the least-easy-to-play-in-tune - of the three Yamaha model 621 tubas?
The BBb 621 isn't particularly great for playing in tune either. :/