SOLD: Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC w/ 5 valves & Cronkhite bag

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
adelarosa
bugler
bugler

SOLD: Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC w/ 5 valves & Cronkhite bag

Post by adelarosa »

SOLD. Thanks for all who expressed interest.
​For sale is an excellent example of the Rudy Meinl 3/4 CC 5 valve tuba. As I recall this instrument has been owned and played by both Matt Gaunt and Andy Smith, and probably other well-respected tuba players. It's been fun to have such a well-played and well-playing instrument in my possession for a time.
Disclaimer: I absolutely love this horn. It fits my "do it all"-type instrument from Baroque solo rep to full-orchestra rep... and does both well-enough precisely as I had hoped. The rotors (uniball upgrade by Dana Hofer) are absolutely fantastic. Up to the this point I've been a piston player and I came to the Rudy offerings after testing a local Rudy-lover's horn and fell in love with the response of his valves. That same tubist worked on my prior 4/4 Rudy and made them just as good as his and I was as happy as a clam!
These rotors on the 3/4 are better. So-good-I-don't-miss-the-quickness-of-pistons better. Smooth, quiet, and fast.

I could go on and on about the sound, how well it blends with the orchestras and bands I've played it with, the very very good intonation, etc. but needless to say if you like Rudys, if you've ever played Rudys or heard Rudys, this one has an exceptional timbre and projects like few horns I've encountered. Love the sound, love the dexterity and flexibility, just all around love this instrument.

However... life intervenes and bills take priority to my hobby.
The tuba comes with a good condition black cordura Cronkhite-era Reunion Blues bag (not the China-made type; see picture). SOLD Located just south of Cincinnati, Ohio. Open to you coming and trialing here in NKY; includes a beer and some good company. REDACTED

Thanks for your interest.

Austin

PS - as I'm certain to get questions:
1) the strips on the bow are there to provide a little more traction on slippery dress pants during practices/performances. Not as good as some tackier cloth, but better than a lacquer on wool/linen.
2) the "kicker" on the first slide is an easy way to manipulate the slide from the back, should you find the need. Handy in a pinch and keeps the free-moving slide from dropping out inadvertently. All slides move freely.
Last edited by adelarosa on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Re: FS: Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC w/ 5 valves & Cronkhite bag

Post by tubaport »

Great horn! Buyer will be very pleased. These are hard to come by and this one plays wonderfully. Puts out a much bigger sound than you’d ever expect. Definitely recommend.
Kyle Hurst

”Wagner use to read the libretti of his operas to his friends; I’m glad I was not there.”
Ralph Vaughan Williams
adelarosa
bugler
bugler

Post by adelarosa »

Thanks for the kind referral, Kyle!
adelarosa
bugler
bugler

Post by adelarosa »

A few tire kickers, a few offers, but nothing solidified yet. Maundy Thursday bump.
adelarosa
bugler
bugler

Post by adelarosa »

Final bump before this horn goes on consignment at BBC (at a higher price tag). Taking reasonable offers for an excellent horn, it gets shipped off Friday!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

(At least?) One of Matt's Burning River Brass CD's was recorded using this tuba... the tuba sound is amazing, and there are no doubts this tuba can do just about anything. Matt is a hell of a good tuba player, but the combination of great player and great tuba are simply fun to listen to.

I'm on a different planet from Matt (and probably Austin, too!), but I'd be willing to bet this tuba is as good as advertised. I'm probably crazy for not buying this tuba, but I made that decision and resolved myself to it a few weeks ago.

Bump! :tuba: