What's a good new inexpensive euphonium?

The bulk of the musical talk
wooliteeuph
pro musician
pro musician

What's a good new inexpensive euphonium?

Post by wooliteeuph »

I've been out of touch with the newer euphs that have come out over the past decade or so. Now that my military career as a euphonium player may be coming to an end, I would be in the market for a horn of my own to finish up school with. Does anyone have any recommendations or reviews out there for the new euphs in circulation? Spending over 8-9 thousand for a horn is out of the question for me at the moment so anyone suggestions would be appreciated
Willie Brandon III
Euphonium/Trombone
NAVY BAND SOUTHWEST, San Diego

"I have an idea. An idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about" - Family Guy
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: What's a good new inexpensive euphonium?

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
MACK Brass 1150 Silver Compensating Euphonium...$995 plus shipping....
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

... or Wessex Dolce cantabile ... mine is an older version I bought used, it plays well, and pretty much in tune except for 4+2 which is a tad low on mine. Check Werdens tuning charts if you want to see his results which match my findings. There are better euphs in this world, but the Dolce is pretty much unbeaten (maybe except Mack Brass, I don't know these) in quality-price ratio.

Alternatively a good used instrument, of course. I have seen Besson Sovereign 3+1 used for around 3000,- to 3500,- $, but Denmark is always more expensive than US.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

I like my Wessex Dolce.
wooliteeuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by wooliteeuph »

I appreciate the feedback. Of those mentioned, what would be some of the negatives as compared to the more popular, expensive horns? Bigger intonation issues, back pressure, valve motion, etc.
Willie Brandon III
Euphonium/Trombone
NAVY BAND SOUTHWEST, San Diego

"I have an idea. An idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about" - Family Guy
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Pm sent.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
dwerden
pro musician
pro musician

Post by dwerden »

I just posted about a Besson New Standard that might be a very good choice for you. You can buy it outright for $1,400, which is a very nice price (this is not my instrument):

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthread ... mpensating
Dave Werden (ASCAP)
www.dwerden.com
Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
YouTube, Twitter, Facebook
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

I just picked up a JP 274 that I am really happy with. Great horn and great price!
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

I recently picked up the John Packer Sterling BARITONE from bloke and it's a very nice horn (and I still need to write a decent post about it...). I imagine the euphonium equivalent is at the very least decent.

The Yamaha YEP-321 is always an old favorite, and you can find them used for ~$1000 on a regular basis. Ymmv on the 4th valve configuration but sound and playability are great.

New horn prices are crazy lately. A euphonium you could buy for $5000 10 years ago costs $8-9000 now.
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

bloke wrote:Yamaha style: Mack Brass from Tom
Besson style: John Packer (JP274) from me, or someone else
The JP is better than it should be for the price. I have the one with the tuning trigger for the little doubling I do. It's a solid instrument.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
mikebmiller
bugler
bugler

Post by mikebmiller »

Old thread, but I was at Tuba Exchange yesterday and spent some time on the 374. I was very impressed. Enough to almost make me leave my Willson 2704 there for them to sell on consignment, but then I would not have a euphonium for a while. They did not have a 274 to compare. I think my local music store may be able to get one of those on a trial basis.
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

Another vote for the Wessex Festivo. Quiet valves, front action, 4 inline. Compensated. It is more ergonomic than other euphs because it keeps your arms low. To me it sounds great, and has a nice low range. I like the sound better than the Dolce, but of course the Festivo costs more, it's just under $2k.
Scubatuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Scubatuba »

Besson BE165. No intonation quirks. Large shank. Plastic coated springs and a water catcher. Designed after the Sovereign range by Besson. All horns are inspected by a former military euphonium player. You play a Besson at work don't you?