4 valve sousaphone?

The bulk of the musical talk
besson900
bugler
bugler

4 valve sousaphone?

Post by besson900 »

Hello guys!

I'm looking for sousaphone for me And my jazz band but I have no idea what company or model I worth to seeking. I had before fiber 3 valve Jupiter but it wasn't good instrument.

I want to buy full brass instrument, can be used or need repair. Can you write here what company produced or producing good ones? King, Conn or maybe old Holton?

My budget is less than 7000$

All best
Paweł
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Re: 4 valve sousaphone?

Post by lowtones425 »

Here's a really good one for much less than your proposed budget. I can vouch for the seller, as he is a friend of mine.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=85397" target="_blank" target="_blank

If I had the scratch I'd buy this one myself.

:tuba: :tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30HE
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 2J 3/4 CC - Eastman Paperweight
Olds BBb Sousaphone - Tin Can
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I have a 40K. Great instrument - maybe the best, though of course it's a matter of taste too.

I guess if I had it to do over, I would have had my old Reynolds fixed up instead. A 4 valve BBb sousaphone is ridiculous. What most people want in a sousaphone is 1) light, and 2) punchy.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Here's my Dynasty 4 valve for $1800. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78826"%20%20target="_blank
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

I love my 40K!

Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

Where are you located?

I have a Conn 40K available for sale but I'm guessing you're not on the West Coast of the US.
besson900
bugler
bugler

Post by besson900 »

Hello again guys!

Thank You for all your advices and posts! :tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
I'm living in Poland(Europe) so i will have to buy instrument with shipping :(

I will thunk about your horns for sale an let You all know what i decide :)
I want to have horn with bigger bell(dont remember inch's), also i have an old Amati helicon but it's not what i want. I wrote that i want 4 valve cause its impossible to play lower than Fb on Bb tuba without 4th valve. I know that bigger=heavy but im one of those "big guy" with 194cm tall so it's not a problem that it will weight few kg more.

I have one more question out of this topic - What sousaphone are playing Nat Mcintosh with this HUGHE brass band on YouTube and Brooklyn as solo piece, and the same question about man from Lucky Chops and his satin silver instrument :)

Thank's for all you answers
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

I believe Nat plays an Olds. 3 valves.

The Lucky Chops horn looks to me like a Conn 20k
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

besson900 wrote: I wrote that i want 4 valve cause its impossible to play lower than Fb on Bb tuba without 4th valve.
Most BBb sousas have excellent false/ghost tones below low EE; so you don't really need a 4th valve on a BBb sousa. You actually have to be more concerned about the 123 combo low B-natural and EE-natural as those notes will be quite sharp if no slides are pulled or put in 'compromise' positions.
But if you must have a 4-valve BBb sousa; Uncle Beer's Dynasty sousa is about the best deal your gonna get for a decent 4-valver :!:
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

Old Conn and Buescher 4 valve sousaphones are very desirable - I have been playing a somewhat beat up 1929 Conn for decades. I am not doing symphonic stuff - just Dixie and NOLA Hot Brass, so (except for the added weight) it is a great horn. Faster fingering and lower tones are the advantages.
MrBasseyPants
bugler
bugler

Post by MrBasseyPants »

lowtones425 wrote:Here's a really good one for much less than your proposed budget. I can vouch for the seller, as he is a friend of mine.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=85397" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

If I had the scratch I'd buy this one myself.

:tuba: :tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
I owner this horn and sold it to Him....it is a great horn and comes with a nice SKB case....it has a small bell....but it definitely looks the part for a jazz group. This IS the horn you want. Everything else is a compromise....unless you want the even bigger King or Conn 4 valves (you don’t).

You could take the money saved and have Anderson replace the valves for about $600 or so....and the horn would mechanically be good as new....but the horn probably doesn’t even need that.

I really liked this horn and it’s low registe, but I sold it when I got my King Giant 3-valves because I like the King sound better....but the 40K was easily just as good.

jc
MrBasseyPants - jc
My three Kings: 2007 King 2341 | 1935 King Giant 1271 | 1925 King 1265 Jumbo (now with four valves)
...and a 1920s Columbia Tenor Sousaphone

WARNING: This tuba player has been known to get his groove on via bass guitar as well!
MrBasseyPants
bugler
bugler

Post by MrBasseyPants »

Even with great shipping to Poland....you should be well under your budget.

jc
MrBasseyPants - jc
My three Kings: 2007 King 2341 | 1935 King Giant 1271 | 1925 King 1265 Jumbo (now with four valves)
...and a 1920s Columbia Tenor Sousaphone

WARNING: This tuba player has been known to get his groove on via bass guitar as well!