Looking for quick action euphonium piston valve springs

The bulk of the musical talk
Johnathan808
bugler
bugler

Looking for quick action euphonium piston valve springs

Post by Johnathan808 »

I'm looking for some good quality euphonium valve springs to replace me 1291 CC Miraphone springs with. I want a quicker reaction when I'm playing this my horn.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Pittsburg State University
BMus Tuba Performance University of Hawai’i at Mānoa

Miraphone 1291 | Meinl Weston 2250
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Looking for quick action euphonium piston valve springs

Post by thevillagetuba »

If you want "reaction," then that sounds like you want the valve to return back up quicker. If that is the case, then a lighter euphonium spring probably won't cause that as those are designed for smaller, lighter valves. Perhaps you mean you want the valve to be quicker and easier to press?
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Miraphone springs are usually pretty good. However... I used to own a 1291 5V BBb and I think I recall using Yamaha Eb tuba springs with good results.

As a side note... the Miraphone pistons are fairly large in diameter and consequently the weight of the lube you use will have a dramatic impact on piston speed. Make sure your valves are clean and stay away from any lubricant heavier than lamp oil or something like Al Cass.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

Steven Mead endorses some valve springs that bear his name. I haven't tried them yet but was considering ordering a set. They can be ordered in the following formats: Original (compensating euphonium and Eb tuba/bass)
Light (compensating euphonium and Eb tuba/bass with a lighter feel)
Baritone (baritone and non-compensating euphonium)
Tuba (BBb and C tuba/bass)
I know that Steven is always fine tuning and tinkering with his horns to get every advantage he can (he also endorses another product that I think is more voodoo, and hype than it provides a real change in sound, but that's another topic).
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H