Kanstul bell on yfb621

Repair and modification discussion
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Kanstul bell on yfb621

Post by MikeMason »

Anyone ever try it or at least measure it? James Jenkins came to Pensacola to play Fantastique with us. He has a kanstul bell on his yfb822. Big difference in response and resonance. Got me wondering if the little kanstul f tuba bell might do the same for little brother. James sounded wonderful and has had many fun adventures since last we spoke. So great to see and hear him again.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Kanstul bell on yfb621

Post by cjk »

This seems like a really neat idea.
obreitys
bugler
bugler

Post by obreitys »

There is a picture somewhere on here of a guy who put a larger bell and 5th valve on his 621. Maybe get in contact with him? It’s been awhile since I saw the post, you’ll have to search through the archives. I love the idea, I often wish my 621 had a couple extra inches up top. Of course, that would take away from the projection, etc. etc. Since I don’t have the funds for a major modification I guess I just have to resign myself to believing the folks at Yamaha knew what they were doing...
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

The yfb621 tends to sound better out front than under the bell. I still want to like the sound I make for me as well. I’ve noticed the more time I spend playing it, the better I like my sound. Imagine that .
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo