Fiberglass Reynolds Tuba

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Fiberglass Reynolds Tuba

Post by humBell »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292425257509

Now i am curious what constitutes a strolling gig.

I suppose there are better things to be curios about.
Thanks for playing!
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Fiberglass Reynolds Tuba

Post by Tubajug »

I would consider a strolling gig to be one where you stand/walk around a bit.
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I guess i was trying to imagine specific examples. A mariachi band seranading in a fancy restaurant, is all i am thinking of right now.... Surely there be more realiatic examples.

For extra credit.... what's a trolling gig?

And sorry for my misspelling of curious. Not always good at proof reading.

Anyway, back to the instrument...
Thanks for playing!
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Look at sousaphones. Anywhere you see them, the customary performance posture for some if not all venues is on feet, whether moving or not. New Orleans jazz, Balkan brass ... never done any banda, but it's bound to have some stand up work. A tuba like this one might serve in a pinch. I looks surprisingly un-Reynolds to me, though, despite the engraving on the collar. Body & bell shape is different; valve section at least has a similar angle, but some differences compared to photos of common Reynolds models, like width of main slide.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Could have something there - Martin fiberglass:

SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

YORK-aholic wrote:Granted the camera angles are different, but they sure look to be the same thing to my eyes. Even the leadpipe brace on the front of the bell...
Reynolds_Martin Fiberglass tuba.JPG
These horns are from when Reynolds and Martin were both under the RMC umbrella, so these fiberglass horns were branded as both Reynolds and Martin.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

SousaWarrior9 wrote:
YORK-aholic wrote:Granted the camera angles are different, but they sure look to be the same thing to my eyes. Even the leadpipe brace on the front of the bell...
These horns are from when Reynolds and Martin were both under the RMC umbrella, so these fiberglass horns were branded as both Reynolds and Martin.
Yup. The photos even show the Martin tuning bits.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Dan Schultz wrote:
SousaWarrior9 wrote:
Yup. The photos even show the Martin tuning bits.
Yeah the bits are a dead giveaway, signature Martin. By the way, I am in reasonable distance to this horn and I really want it. I already have a Martin Mammoth tuba and sousaphone so it just makes sense to add this gem, right?

Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

SousaWarrior9 wrote:By the way, I am in reasonable distance to this horn and I really want it. I already have a Martin Mammoth tuba and sousaphone so it just makes sense to add this gem, right?
May or may not - if your suite is to be all Mammoths, then this one wouldn't fit, it's just ordinary 4/4 size, am I right?
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Donn wrote:
SousaWarrior9 wrote:By the way, I am in reasonable distance to this horn and I really want it. I already have a Martin Mammoth tuba and sousaphone so it just makes sense to add this gem, right?
May or may not - if your suite is to be all Mammoths, then this one wouldn't fit, it's just ordinary 4/4 size, am I right?
Correct, the fiberglass horns are only 4/4. I was referring to having an all-Martin stable rather than an all-mammoth stable, I should've been more clear on that. I really have taken a liking to Martins in general and I think a 4/4 would pair with my Mammoths(s) nicely for smaller ensembles. Plus it's fiberglass, how cool is that?!

Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

SousaWarrior9 wrote: Yeah the bits are a dead giveaway, signature Martin. By the way, I am in reasonable distance to this horn and I really want it. I already have a Martin Mammoth tuba and sousaphone so it just makes sense to add this gem, right?
Your logic is undeniable. You have my full support. :D
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

There is one for sale at Dillons now.

Do they play reasonably well??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Hi All,

Harvey Hartman ("Harv's Happy Horns") had a fiberglass Martin. He said it was the best tuba he owned.

Strolling gigs include the Italian festivals of New York City and probably elsewhere. Also, the Chinese population of NYC hires the strolling "Italian" bands (really mixed national, racial, and religious background, like all else in the Big Apple) for funeral music.

Paul.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

YORK-aholic wrote:I recently bought an all brass one of these.
4/4 Martin, you mean?
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

I'm really disappointed I missed out on this horn. I've been enjoying my Mammoth tuba and sousa so much that I've been considering converting my tuba collection to be all Martin (I'm addicted to the Martin sound!) but the Martin 4/4 or 'medium' horns as they called them (fiberglass or otherwise) have been so hard to come by.

If anyone out there who has one of these old Martin 4/4 horns (again, fiberglass or brass) and may be interested in a really nice King 1241 with both bells, I may be able to help you out.

SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

hrender wrote:
Three Valves wrote:There is one for sale at Dillons now.
Still available.
So there is! :shock: I'll have to look into that.