Mendelssohn Reformation

The bulk of the musical talk
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Re: Mendelssohn Reformation

Post by UDELBR »

https://www.amazon.com/Mendelssohn-Symp ... B00UB1QSCC

I've performed this several times on French tuba, and Bloke (and others!) are in luck, as they're now available! :D
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

That's absolutely the best thing about a salaried orchestra gig: being able to justify instrument purchases. In 15 years on the job with it, I'd played enough Berlioz, Mendelssohn, Ravel, Debussy, Stravinsky, Gounod, Delibes, Saint-Saëns, Messiaen, etc. on it to easily say the French tuba had 'earned its keep'.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

I know you own a 3+1 Eb, so you're already good with that setup. The 5th is just as it is on any tuba (flat whole step). The only thing that takes getting used to is the 6th.
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

As my serpent teacher says about this piece, if you can distinctly hear the serpent, they're playing it wrong haha.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
Snake Charmer
bugler
bugler

Post by Snake Charmer »

Mendelssohn loved the English Bass Horn, even if he described it in a letter to his sister as a "type of watering can". But at the time were more serpent players around and the contrabassoons quite underdeveloped, so he combined them to a nice bass voice, playing in octaves.
Last year we played the Reformation, I used my Ophicleide for the Serpent part. (And for the Bass Horn part in the op.24 Ouverture). The recording is quite nice...
MTFULRUTUBA
bugler
bugler

Post by MTFULRUTUBA »

I was lucky enough to play this several years ago in a local orchestra. I remember packing up to go home and being handed the part by the personnel manager. It worked well on my F tuba, at least, I didn't hear any complaints. I've got the part laying around somewhere...
Michael Taylor
Instructor of Tuba/Euphonium
Lenoir-Rhyne University, NC
North Greenville University, SC
Anderson University, SC
South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts & Humanities
iattp
bugler
bugler

Post by iattp »

the elephant wrote:The serpent is just another gimmick. It'll never catch on with the kids.

Cool kids play the bombardon.
Dude, bombardon is so overdone. It's so passé.

My cousin in Williamsburg plays the carnyx and gets all the chicks.

Step up your hipster game, yo.
Červeny Bb helicon - Brandon
Ultratone P-R - Blatmobile
Eb tuba - Commander Riker
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Carnyx....now we're talking.....
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

bloke wrote:Much of the W-offered gadgetry does not interest me...and some here know that I've sworn off 6/4-ery...but the "French" tuba...I would like to sit down and mess with one to see "what it's all about". :D
Joe, Are you at DC conference? If so, you will be welcome to try the French C, as well as the B&F style Kaiser BBb which is another I think may interest you...
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:various config's of 9' long (sure: 8' long) tuba-like instruments HAVE piqued my curiosity.
Maybe Courtois or Willson will be there with a bass saxhorn.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

bloke wrote: Rather than (typically) dragging my rear end and arriving at the facility just in time to get everything set up in time for the midday opening, I'll see about being an early bird this time. (Thanks very much for your invitation to try out those two instruments! ...and I prefer not having to compete - sonically - with all the other elephants, which will be herding themselves in soon thereafter...and I also prefer to not try to test instruments after the entire herd of 250 - 300 lb. elephants have raised the room temperature up to 80° - which makes it somewhat difficult to evaluate intonation characteristics.) :D
That sounds a good strategy!
iattp
bugler
bugler

Post by iattp »

I made a recording two years ago of me playing it on my ophicleide. I know it's not the serpent, but it's closer than a bombardon. It's still not a carnyx, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoqfVOHZazk" target="_blank
Červeny Bb helicon - Brandon
Ultratone P-R - Blatmobile
Eb tuba - Commander Riker
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I had no idea Mendelssohn needed to reform himself. Perhaps he wrote a part for 6/4 tuba and got in trouble with the church.
Yane
bugler
bugler

Post by Yane »

I am given to understand Mendelssohn was an enthusiastic Lutheran, and the 5th seems to support that view. Sadly the symphony was not performed for the event it was intended, the 300th anniversary of the Reformation. What horn to use would seem to depend on the conductor’s views on HIP and the availability of a contrabassoon.
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

barry grrr-ero wrote:I had no idea Mendelssohn needed to reform himself. Perhaps he wrote a part for 6/4 tuba and got in trouble with the church.
If the church was headed by Pope Urban the second I would reform myself too :wink:
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

TheTuba wrote:
barry grrr-ero wrote:I had no idea Mendelssohn needed to reform himself. Perhaps he wrote a part for 6/4 tuba and got in trouble with the church.
If the church was headed by Pope Urban the second I would reform myself too :wink:
Not clear as to the significance of mentioning Pope Urban II in this context, as he was pontiff over 400 years before the Reformation, and over 700 years prior to the composition of the Reformation Symphony....
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".