Conn 22K Repair Question

The bulk of the musical talk
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Conn 22K Repair Question

Post by TUbajohn20J »

I just bought an original style 22K from 1965. The one with the fiberglass 4th branch, and lower #3 slide brass brace fastened into the aluminum lug screwed into the fiberglass body. Well that brass brace is broken off into the aluminum causing the valve section to be real floppy . I can't come up with a good way to fix it. I know this is a common problem on the old style 22K's. I'm just curious about what everyone has done to repair this. Edit* Pic in thread by bloke. Deleted my picture because they were so big nobody could see them.
Last edited by TUbajohn20J on Mon May 14, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Conn 22K Repair Question

Post by Donn »

That's messed up. Not the 22K, the picture. My browser reports an image size of 2925x5248, which it can't properly display even on its own page for some reason.

You should reduce your photo way down, save it back to your photo hosting site and edit your post to point to the smaller image.

I can't advise you on how to do that if you're using Microsoft Windows. On Mac OS X, the included "Preview" application does it, under "Tools". Resize it so the long side goes from 5248 to 1050. That's as much as anyone's going to see on a browser page anyway, it will be 1/20 the data for everyone to transfer, and it will work better.

If you use the camera only for images that you share like this, it may give you the option to reduce its image size, for all future pictures.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Conn 22K Repair Question

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Perfect! Thanks Bloke. I know I could do the first method you suggested. That repair seems simple enough and makes more sense than what I had in mind. I don't know how to braze either so I probably won't attempt to learn how to on this horn. I was going to go to home Depot and buy some kind of clamp and figure out how to clamp the 3rd valve tube down to that fiberglass branch. I like your way better. I'm going to attempt this and will post back here when done. Wish this was a later model 22k with the brass 4th branch but I know once I fix this it is going to be handled with care.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid