Miraphone 186 BBb w/Martin Bell

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Miraphone 186 BBb w/Martin Bell

Post by Heavy_Metal »

interesting match-up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Miraphone-1864 ... SwvzVa9Pc5" target="_blank
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Miraphone 186 BBb w/Martin Bell

Post by iiipopes »

Oh my! I now have a section mate for my Bessophone: a Martiphone! :tuba:
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Talk about playing flat...and not fitting in most standard sized gig bags lol.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

groth wrote:Talk about playing flat...and not fitting in most standard sized gig bags lol.
Why would you think it would play flat? It looks like a great instrument to me.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

iiipopes wrote:
groth wrote:Talk about playing flat...and not fitting in most standard sized gig bags lol.
When you add length to a horn beyond how it came with from the factory your pitch gets lower. This bell is taller than where the factory Miraphone bell was.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Length or width, I gather.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

groth wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
When you add length to a horn beyond how it came with from the factory your pitch gets lower. This bell is taller than where the factory Miraphone bell was.
Of course it does! As we were all taught when we all first picked up a horn and taught how to use tuning slides (mumble) decades ago. And by contrast, if the bell stack is shorter, you need to lengthen the main tuning slide as I did on my Bessophone. The bell stack on this Martiphone does not look taller than a stock 16 1/2 inch bell. It appears to be an optical illusion from the larger throat and flare. Now, that said, the terminal node will also be affected by the larger flare and that may alter the overall pitch as well. But without playing it, none of us can know for sure.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

iiipopes wrote:
When you add length to a horn beyond how it came with from the factory your pitch gets lower. This bell is taller than where the factory Miraphone bell was.[/quote]
Of course it does! As we were all taught when we all first picked up a horn and taught how to use tuning slides (mumble) decades ago. And by contrast, if the bell stack is shorter, you need to lengthen the main tuning slide as I did on my Bessophone. The bell stack on this Martiphone does not look taller than a stock 16 1/2 inch bell. It appears to be an optical illusion from the larger throat and flare. Now, that said, the terminal node will also be affected by the larger flare and that may alter the overall pitch as well. But without playing it, none of us can know for sure.[/quote]
I guess not, however it's an 80% or better chance it'll be a tuning nightmare and for that starting price I'd pass. (Unless someone had another Mira bell laying around or could build one to spec to replace it). The rest of the horn is not all that clean either, albeit an interesting project I think it was strange to put this particular bell on it.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

groth wrote:I guess not, however it's an 80% or better chance it'll be a tuning nightmare and for that starting price I'd pass. (Unless someone had another Mira bell laying around or could build one to spec to replace it). The rest of the horn is not all that clean either, albeit an interesting project. I think it was strange to put this particular bell on it.
We don't know the seller's situation. And I will not render speculation or judgment. And, with all due respect, I am miffed by your comments in general being rather negative to the Seller. It appears to be a fine tuba to me. And it is no more strange than my Bessophone, or any other "Frankentuba" that has graced the threads of this forum. BTW - it did sell. Congrats to both the seller and buyer, whomever they may be.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

iiipopes wrote:
groth wrote:I guess not, however it's an 80% or better chance it'll be a tuning nightmare and for that starting price I'd pass. (Unless someone had another Mira bell laying around or could build one to spec to replace it). The rest of the horn is not all that clean either, albeit an interesting project. I think it was strange to put this particular bell on it.
We don't know the seller's situation. And I will not render speculation or judgment. And, with all due respect, I am miffed by your comments in general being rather negative to the Seller. It appears to be a fine tuba to me. And it is no more strange than my Bessophone, or any other "Frankentuba" that has graced the threads of this forum. BTW - it did sell. Congrats to both the seller and buyer, whomever they may be.
I don't recall ever saying anything negative, just the horn will (more than likely) play very flat. Been there, done that. Never said it wasn't cool, just not sure why that particular combination of bell and body. In most situations it wouldn't fit in a standard gig bag either. I guess there's a buyer for anything if you wait long enough.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

If the the bell is an inch taller, that affects the intonations way less than an inch of tuning slide. Doubt that needs to be shortened, even if so not a big deal.
20" bell, 40" or 41" tall...it's basically proportional. it's well done, it's a miraphone so you know the rotors turn like butter...glad it sold.