Should I bring my new CC tuba to summer camp?

The bulk of the musical talk
TubAnthony
lurker
lurker

Re: Should I bring my new CC tuba to summer camp?

Post by TubAnthony »

bloke wrote:Put up a jpg scan of the piece of music that you consider to be the most difficult one that you will play.

You can use http://www.imgur.com .

Does it more resemble Erickson's "Balladair", or Hindsley's transcription of Liszt's "Les Preludes" ?
The two solos I have to prepare are:
Hartley - Suite for Unaccompanied Tuba
Lebedev - Concert Allegro
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Maybe not totally relevant here but, here goes anyway.

When I was at NEC in Boston studying with Harvey I was using my King monster rotary BBb for everything. I badly needed to do some work on it so pulled it apart. I had not even touched a CC in a few years and had rarely "played" one more than a few minutes at a time for longer. Anyway, late in the day Harvey came down to my workshop/practice space in the basement. He had been booked for a recording session in Boston the next day but had to be in New York instead and had said he would send me along to the gig. He could see that I would not have my tuba ready to go so offered me one of his, a Conn 2J prototype.
Turned out to be a commercial with it being solo tuba with kit and vocal accomp. The only way to approach it was to play the damned thing. Made some good money for that gig and got more.

From then on I just chose between the little CC or the King depending on which I felt would be better for the job. Didn't worry about "learning CC" just got the brain engaged and did it. The "key" is: the fatty grey matter inside your skull is what drives things. Make up your mind to do it then JUST DO IT!
Free to tuba: good home
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

TubAnthony, your plan sounds really well considered. My guess is that they're lucky to have you. Good luck.
darthminimall
lurker
lurker

Post by darthminimall »

A lot of people have posted their feelings one way or another. I feel optimally geared to answer this question as a maximally ammeter tuba player. When I got my first CC horn, I played it everywhere I could, and I didn't regret it for a moment. That being said, it depends on your goal, as well as your playing style. If you're going to be playing very technical music, perhaps the horn you're most familiar with will have an advantage. If you're confident in you're ability to play whatever you'll be presented with, bring the new horn. I've always been more focused on tone quality, primarily, so my CC horn was, for me, an opportunity to figure out how to achieve the best sound possible on a different instrument, and I'm glad I dove in head first. That being said, it might be different for you. Think about what your goals are, then make a decision that is aligned with those goals.
Meinl Weston 2145 [FOR SALE]
Salvation Army 4 Valve Compensating Eb Tuba (probably made by Boosey and Hawkes c. 1950)
Cobra1502
bugler
bugler

Post by Cobra1502 »

I am attending this session as well and have elected to NOT take my new Miraphone 191 even though it is a BBb like my older Yamaha 621. The reason is the fear of it getting damaged on the airplanes despite having a hard case. I even looked into buying an extra ticket so my tuba could sit beside me but his is not available on all airlines. I am not sure how you plan on getting to Atlanta but this is just one more consideration for you.
Queen City Brass Band
Miraphone Bb 191-5V
Besson 982
Yamaha Bb 621S
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

. . . and a very wise decision. If you're going to risk getting your 191 damaged, you want that risk to be one that pays you in one form or another.

In addition, as mentioned here so many times previously, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a BBb player. Since I do mostly band playing, I often times think of switching back. The ideal thing would be to own a good tuba in all four keys (plus euph' or tenor tuba, thus making five).
TubAnthony
lurker
lurker

Post by TubAnthony »

TubAnthony wrote:I will be getting a BMB J-845SP around early June, which I am stoked about (it is currently getting its rotating leadpipe sautered on to be fixed before it is shipped); however, I also have two back-to-back summer camps I will be attending (IET Festival in Georgia and FSU's Chamber Winds Camp) not far after the tuba will arrive. My question is: should I dive head-on into these camps with the new tuba, with only around a week or two to try to learn the fingerings, or should I play it safe and continue playing my school's BBb?
Update: the tuba has been shipped and will probably arrive Monday!! BEYOND stoked :D :tuba:
TubAnthony
lurker
lurker

Post by TubAnthony »

Doc wrote:
TubAnthony wrote:
TubAnthony wrote:I will be getting a BMB J-845SP around early June, which I am stoked about (it is currently getting its rotating leadpipe sautered on to be fixed before it is shipped); however, I also have two back-to-back summer camps I will be attending (IET Festival in Georgia and FSU's Chamber Winds Camp) not far after the tuba will arrive. My question is: should I dive head-on into these camps with the new tuba, with only around a week or two to try to learn the fingerings, or should I play it safe and continue playing my school's BBb?
Update: the tuba has been shipped and will probably arrive Monday!! BEYOND stoked :D :tuba:
After all this advice, suggestions, discussion, angst, and excitement, you ARE going to post a detailed account of how it goes before, during, and after camp (accompanied by a review, video, and sound clips), AREN’T you?
Of course... Wouldn't have it any other way :)