small tuba recommendations

The bulk of the musical talk
jstrother123
bugler
bugler

small tuba recommendations

Post by jstrother123 »

For years I have played one of Dan Schultz's Marzans and loved it. I am now having too many neck issues to be able to continue with this horn, so I am looking for suggestions for a lighter/smaller horn. I am aware of the Yamaha YBB-103 and on the lookout for one, but I have also come across the Wessex Mighty Midget which looks interesting. Anyone ever use one or can recommend another smaller horn? Thanks.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: small tuba recommendations

Post by Ken Crawford »

If BBb is your thing, a Conn 5J is the winner for small and nice playing.

The mighty midget is a toy that doesn't play particularly well. Not something you want to have as your primary instrument.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

The Marzan is something like 25 lbs? You might be able to get a full size Cerveny at 3/4 the weight. Or 1/2 for a Chinese plastic tuba. European tubas vary considerably, I gather - Alexander is reported to be on the light side, though not as light as Cerveny. Drill holes in the valve paddles, like bicyclists used to do with their brake handles and stuff to save weight. Then there's Eb and F. And tuba stands.
Northernlb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Northernlb »

Mirafone 184
Ceveny Piggy
:tuba:
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

+1 for a tuba stand if it's playing.
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Ken Crawford wrote: The mighty midget is a toy that doesn't play particularly well. Not something you want to have as your primary instrument.
Hundreds of satisfied purchasers might disagree with you! :roll:

Incredible as it might sound, the Mighty Midget is Wessex best selling tuba. Peoples likes do vary tremendously.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Wyvern wrote:
Ken Crawford wrote: The mighty midget is a toy that doesn't play particularly well. Not something you want to have as your primary instrument.
Hundreds of satisfied purchasers might disagree with you! :roll:

Incredible as it might sound, the Mighty Midget is Wessex best selling tuba. Peoples likes do vary tremendously.
Just because you've sold hundreds doesn't mean hundreds of people are using them as their primary instrument. Let's be realistic.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

The Mack should also be a consideration...

http://www.mackbrass.com/MACK-TU520L__BBb_Tuba.php" target="_blank
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Olds 099-4. Many have been through the middle school band room and can be thrashed but there are plenty which haven't. If you can live with a 3v, the Olds 099 is usually way cheap. Lots of beat up ones but lots of decent ones, too.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

jstrother123 wrote:For years I have played one of Dan Schultz's Marzans and loved it. I am now having too many neck issues to be able to continue with this horn, so I am looking for suggestions for a lighter/smaller horn. I am aware of the Yamaha YBB-103 and on the lookout for one, but I have also come across the Wessex Mighty Midget which looks interesting. Anyone ever use one or can recommend another smaller horn? Thanks.
John Packer's JP179B looks just like a Yamaha 103 with a 4th valve added. I've seen a street price of about $2700 for one, all shiny and new and in a case. Mouthpiece, too!

https://www.johnpacker.co.uk/prod/jp179b-tuba" target="_blank
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

bloke wrote:
jstrother123 wrote:...I am looking for suggestions for a lighter/smaller horn...Anyone ever use one or can recommend another smaller horn? Thanks.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=87540
Dittos, Bloke!
fourbass
bugler
bugler

Post by fourbass »

I second the vote for the Conn 5J. I am a CC player and love my Piggy. But If had a choice I would probably opt for a Conn 2 or 3J which is the CC version of the 5J. The guy who sits next to me in Brass Band plays a 5J and he sounds marvelous.
https://sites.google.com/site/beckertuba/home-1
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Cerveny "Piggy" CC
B&S Symphonie Model F
Bundy tenor trombone
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

The weight of tubas thread from a couple years ago has weights ranging from 17 to 21 lbs for Conn 2J and 4J, nothing for 5J. (21 lbs is an outlier, the rest are 17 or 18 lbs.) Piggy 18 lbs, but that's CC; I didn't see any user report on similar BBb, but published weight for CBB 783-4RX is 19 lbs. Cerveny calls the CBB 793-4RX both "Kaisertuba" and "Piggy", and it's really quite big - 22.44 lbs.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

The Cerveny CBB 793-4RX is a BIG horn with a compact, short wrap. It's made from red brass; the 693 is the yellow brass version. It has a huge bottom bow and throat even with its compact wrap, and a very large, dark sound. It's also surprisingly light for its size (thin brass).

I played a used one for a few minutes a few years back, and if I'd the loose cash it would've gone home with me. It played remarkably well in tune and was easy to play in all registers. I've long thought of it as the wonderful big horn that got away.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

I am assuming that your neck issues have to do with pain in your neck due to lifting or holding a heavy tuba (and not because of the tubas position on your body).
I've had neck issues but this had less to do with the weight and more to do with how my body and the horn matched up.
Cerveny makes very lightweight tuba's, as does Alexander. You'll be able to play with the same breadth of your Marzan without having to downsize. I'm not sure if a compact model will help you neck or not. That's obviously something you need to try out first. If small is what you need, Cerveny has many compact models. Don't just buy a Piggy cause everyone screams Piggy.
Yes, the Tiger tuba is super light but it's medium size. As well you might find yourself doing a lot of creative investments to get the valves to quiet down cause they are very noisy.
And don't hesitate to use a stand if this helps in any way.
I have an old style Walberg and Auge stand which I once used extensively at gigs when I had messed my shoulder.
In other words check out your options.
jstrother123
bugler
bugler

Post by jstrother123 »

Thanks for all of the input. The neck issues are with the lifting and holding my Marzan. I have been trying to use a hercules stand but it has issues with the weight causing it to sink no matter how tight I turn the knobs. I have an old wenger stand that has no issues with the horn, but it is not exactly portable. Still looking and examining all options. Thanks again.

Jim
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

ok.
I've heard about Yamaha Airlift stands being very light. I don't know if they're still in production but I seem to remember it getting some good reviews.
Anyway, neck problems and playing tuba are no strangers to each other. In all honesty, with most tubas its quite difficult to play them while sitting up straight. One often has to have their head&neck forward a bit in order to play. Many players don't have a problem with this but I do, so I have often had mouthpiece adjustments made to tubas to compensate for this.
A lighter tuba will certainly make lifting it easier. Smaller may or may not be the way to go. Try, then buy (of coarse).
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

maybe you can squat the tuba, instead of using your arms and back too much???
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

tiger=12lbs
piggy=22lbs
tiger is a larger wrap than a piggy. Not that I'm recommending either. If you are really going to make a change then you really have to try out what works for you. If that means making a road trip then I'd think that this would be worth the investment.