Sticky Pads

The bulk of the musical talk
thebrandyman
bugler
bugler

Sticky Pads

Post by thebrandyman »

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could lead me into the right direction with this.

I am interested in using sticky pads similar to the way that Chris Olka has them glued (if that is correct) onto his tubas. A couple of questions come to mind.

1. Are they in fact, glued?
2. If all goes well, I do not plan on keeping either of my horns. Would it be possible to remove the pads if I were to sell any of my horns?
3. I notice that Mr. Olka uses mouse pads as opposed to sticky pads. Do those work best? Does he use crazy glue/double sided tape to get them on there?

Thank you in advance.

( :tuba: )
Last edited by thebrandyman on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CranstonTuba
bugler
bugler

Re: A Question About Sticky Pads

Post by CranstonTuba »

I have recently been using ones I purhased on amazon. Ganvol 2 pack. $4.95. They stay on great. I don’t have it glued. I stuck it on carefully and it stays there when I put it in and take it out of my gig bag. If an edge does get pulled up I rinse it off and let it air dry and it’s just as sticky as the day I got it.

I still keep a mouse pad in my gig bag in case I get to a gig and it’s been peeled off , but that hasn’t happened yet.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

I noticed a guest player at our last concert was using shelf liner. It's a kind of perforated rubber stuff that comes in various colors.
thebrandyman
bugler
bugler

Post by thebrandyman »

timothy42b wrote:I noticed a guest player at our last concert was using shelf liner. It's a kind of perforated rubber stuff that comes in various colors.

I have used shelf liner at one point, but I have found that the horn tends to slip every now and then.
Last edited by thebrandyman on Wed May 30, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CranstonTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by CranstonTuba »

What I really like about the sticky pad is that I don’t have to worry about adjusting anything except the tuba. The sticky pad stays on the horn and I can comfortable move my tuba to resting and playing position and focus on the music.
thebrandyman
bugler
bugler

Post by thebrandyman »

CranstonTuba wrote:I have recently been using ones I purhased on amazon. Ganvol 2 pack. $4.95. They stay on great. I don’t have it glued. I stuck it on carefully and it stays there when I put it in and take it out of my gig bag. If an edge does get pulled up I rinse it off and let it air dry and it’s just as sticky as the day I got it.

I still keep a mouse pad in my gig bag in case I get to a gig and it’s been peeled off , but that hasn’t happened yet.
CranstonTuba wrote:What I really like about the sticky pad is that I don’t have to worry about adjusting anything except the tuba. The sticky pad stays on the horn and I can comfortable move my tuba to resting and playing position and focus on the music.
Sorry, I had completely forgotten to reply to your comment. Thank you for the information! Now, in your case, do the pads tear easily? I have gone through countless pairs because I have found the pads tend to tear quickly. In the end, I am looking for something that'll stay on, and if it does tear at some point, it wouldn't be for months at a time.
CranstonTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by CranstonTuba »

So I’ve only had this brand for about a month but it’s thinner and more flexible than others. Because it’s not as thick or as stiff I haven’t seen any signs of stress, drying out, or cracking that would normally have seen at this point. The fact that it’s thin, flexible, and sticky enough to form and stay put around the curves of the bottom bell, seem to be why it hasn’t torn or cracked yet.

I was in a tuba/euph ensemble rehearsal this past week and had one of the other tuba players asking questions about how I got it to stay on so well.

I can take a pic on the horn tomorrow if your interested.
thebrandyman
bugler
bugler

Post by thebrandyman »

CranstonTuba wrote:So I’ve only had this brand for about a month but it’s thinner and more flexible than others. Because it’s not as thick or as stiff I haven’t seen any signs of stress, drying out, or cracking that would normally have seen at this point. The fact that it’s thin, flexible, and sticky enough to form and stay put around the curves of the bottom bell, seem to be why it hasn’t torn or cracked yet.

I was in a tuba/euph ensemble rehearsal this past week and had one of the other tuba players asking questions about how I got it to stay on so well.

Thank you for the help! I will certainly look into buying a pair or two. If it isn't too much trouble, a photo would be great!
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Is there anywhere to get these other than Amazon? I no longer buy on Amazon because of their ridiculous shipping policy.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Their ridiculous shipping policy is you have to either pay whopping charges on overpriced items, add things to your list of stuff you're buying to get "free" shipping that takes 2-3 weeks, or pay big bucks to join their Prime, which is actually you're just paying shipping up front. Almost everything I was previously buying on Amazon, I am now getting elsewhere at better price and two day shipping by OnTrac.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

ren wrote:I have a question about sticky pads. Im sorry Im so out of the loop...

What are these being used for in relation to the tuba?
Put a piece on your leg, and your horn doesn't slide off onto the floor and make that annoying noise.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

thebrandyman wrote:Hi all,

I was hoping someone could lead me into the right direction with this.

I am interested in using sticky pads similar to the way that Chris Olka has them glued (if that is correct) onto his tubas. A couple of questions come to mind.

1. Are they in fact, glued?
2. If all goes well, I do not plan on keeping either of my horns. Would it be possible to remove the pads if I were to sell any of my horns?
3. I notice that Mr. Olka uses mouse pads as opposed to sticky pads. Do those work best? Does he use crazy glue/double sided tape to get them on there?

Thank you in advance.

( :tuba: )
Chris Olka does not glue the pads to his instruments. He discusses what he uses in one of his Drill of the Week videos.
Andy
CranstonTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by CranstonTuba »

thebrandyman wrote:
CranstonTuba wrote:So I’ve only had this brand for about a month but it’s thinner and more flexible than others. Because it’s not as thick or as stiff I haven’t seen any signs of stress, drying out, or cracking that would normally have seen at this point. The fact that it’s thin, flexible, and sticky enough to form and stay put around the curves of the bottom bell, seem to be why it hasn’t torn or cracked yet.

Thank you for the help! I will certainly look into buying a pair or two. If it isn't too much trouble, a photo would be great!
https://imgur.com/a/KCfD95l" target="_blank

Sorry it took me so long to post pics. I still keep a mouse pad in my case just in case but I really like the freedom of movement I have with the sticky pad.
Wes Krygsman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Wes Krygsman »

The cell phone "sticky pad" works well for holding up tubas, although they don't seem to last super long.

The idea is to put the sticky pad on the bottom bow of the tuba somewhere the instrument contacts your legs to prevent slipping.

All of them are grippy/sticky on both sides so they go onto your instrument and can come off easily, no glue-ing or taping required. Over time, the stickiness wears out, but after a quick wash with soap and water, it's just as sticky as when new.

I have tried thinner and thicker ones. The thinner ones can rip apart, but they can stay attached to the tuba while in the case, whether soft or hard. The thicker ones tend to fall off in the case, but last longer (I have my original 2 thick ones).

Hope this helps.
Wes Krygsman

Adjunct professor-Kean University
Freelance musician-NJ/NYC area & private lessons

Nirschl York 6/4 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Yamaha Ybb 103 BBb
Conn 36k Fiberglass sousaphone BBb