PLAYING FORTISSIMO WITH GOOD TONE?

The bulk of the musical talk
Tuba Shorty
lurker
lurker

PLAYING FORTISSIMO WITH GOOD TONE?

Post by Tuba Shorty »

So as the title says, I have a few questions about how to play loud while still maintaining good tone. I'm the only tuba player in my summer band camp and the band only plays loud, even on the spots marked piano... :roll: . So since the band tends to play loud they need a strong tuba section to support them, problem is that there's not a section- it's just me, and I do not play at the volume they need with good tone yet. In my school's concert band there were 3 tubas and we all pitched in so none of us really had to strain like I'm currently having to. Since I am used to playing around a mf or f for my school's band, I can do it with great tone. How should I go about playing fortissimo to support the band? Is there anything I should do embouchure-wise that will help with the tone issue? How can I play with a loud volume without sounding blatty or explosive? Should I focus on blending in with the band or should I lean more towards sticking out a bit?

Thanks in advance! :) :tuba:
fourbass
bugler
bugler

Re: PLAYING FORTISSIMO WITH GOOD TONE?

Post by fourbass »

According to Arnold Jacobs:

Easy air flow
Natural Body Function - Breathing/Blowing
Flow lots of air

Use thesed concepts, try to play only 2-5% louder each. Trying to do more may result in diminishing returns.

A great example of very loud tuba is the San Francisco Symphony recording of Matis der Maler by Hindemith.

Good Luck
https://sites.google.com/site/beckertuba/home-1
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Cerveny "Piggy" CC
B&S Symphonie Model F
Bundy tenor trombone
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Here are brief excerpts of the San Francisco Symphony. The tubist probably would have been Floyd Cooley.

https://youtu.be/YKYbPSDc2Xs?t=358" target="_blank" target="_blank

https://youtu.be/YKYbPSDc2Xs?t=471" target="_blank

Ace
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

What I like to hear, is a way of playing that comes through loud and clear, but doesn't try to drown out the trombones etc. It sounds better, and it also makes sense - when you try to drown them out, they have to play louder, and then you have to play louder, and then ... we all get tired and play even worse. As best as I can make out, that's accomplished mostly with a distinct tone color, nice round hearty bass end with a colorful but not too loud edge. Like other likeable bass/contrabass instruments. And of course remember that tone color in turn is all about the attack, the attack is very important. The thing I like about this theory is that it means it's less work to play better, very appealing to a terribly lazy person like myself.

Hm, I see that while composing this little observation, bloke jumped in and also said something about a focused sound that won't drown out the trombones. I find this a little troubling, since I know bloke hates lazy people, but I guess that only goes to show, practically anyone can find something to like in this concept.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

Rule number one: more air support.

Rule number two: do long tones.

Rule number three: repeat the first two rules to yourself over and over.

I have an issue where now that my only contrabass tuba is a swiss copy of a copy of a one off 6/4 personal nuclear device made in Indiana, every time I play a 4/4 horn for one reason or another and try to play loud it comes out at 140db and sounds like im waving around a pitched thunder sheet. The moral of the story is strike a balance between amount of air and support and stability of the air stream itself. Only doing more air just makes the signature "BRAAAAAP" sound.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Ace wrote:Here are brief excerpts of the San Francisco Symphony. The tubist probably would have been Floyd Cooley.

https://youtu.be/YKYbPSDc2Xs?t=358" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

https://youtu.be/YKYbPSDc2Xs?t=471" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Ace
Thanks Ace, I think that made my morning. My 10 month old son also stopped and took notice. :)
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

To put all this from another point of view,
don't try to make a "big" sound.
I try to make a "focused" sound.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote: Someone, please, underwrite a scholarship for Donn to attend blokeplace for a couple of summer semesters, so that he can get his mind right. :tuba:
Give him a night in the box!! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvwqK2gn3S0" target="_blank
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

fourbass wrote:According to Arnold Jacobs:

Easy air flow
Natural Body Function - Breathing/Blowing
Flow lots of air

Use thesed concepts, try to play only 2-5% louder each. Trying to do more may result in diminishing returns.

A great example of very loud tuba is the San Francisco Symphony recording of Matis der Maler by Hindemith.

Good Luck
A critical aspect that Mr. Jacobs stressed was that you must have a very musical concept when playing extremely loud. Here is a quote from Mr. Jacobs on the subject.

"It’s the same concept of the ball riding on top of a water fountain. When playing loud, you simply use a bigger fountain. In fact, when I get very loud I don’t get very physical, but I get very musical. If you get physical without getting musical, you might push against resistance. As a result, you increase the resistance and then you have to increase the push and pretty soon, they’ll cancel each other out."

---Arnold Jacobs #jakeped

What he told me in my lessons had two parts. First, when playing loudly, blow the air fast, but do not blow the air hard (against the lips). Think of a string player moving the bow very fast across the strings, but not pressing them hard against the strings in a grinding fashion. The lips have a tremendous ability to resist the air, and can actually cut the air flow off completely. So you want to use a very large volume of air which is under very low pressure. A thick column of air moving very fast which is under very little pressure (i.e., very little resistance from the lips).

But the critical part is your concept of sound. You must hear a beautiful sound in your head as you play that happens to be very loud so that you are sending the correct signal to the lips. We never play by simply blowing the air. If we want to sing with the lips, we must also be singing in the head while playing.

Mr. Jacobe always taught that we must develop our finest quality of tone in what he called the "norms." That is, in the middle register at a middle dynamic (mf-f). Then, we transfer that quality to the extremes in terms of dynamics (loud or soft) and range (high and low).

Here is another quote on developing a beautiful sound.

"When you look for a beautiful tone based on lyricism, you are automatically cutting down on the overwork. Overwork won’t be lyrical because it will sound forced and strained. The lovely love song is where you’ll find the ability of producing sound for the least effort."

And two more.

"Your entire dynamic range has to be under control. You establish the norm somewhere in the middle dynamic and then you move it back to the pianissimo. You have to establish the quality first. At any dynamic, your tone has to be a wonderful product." ---#ArnoldJacobs #jakeped

"The warm up is where you find the finest qualities of tone. That’s the most efficient tone production. That’s when you find the efficiency you are looking for. It shouldn’t be done by looking for ease of playing, but instead you should be looking for the quality of tone. The fact that you are looking for the beautiful tone is what counts."

Finally, Fritz Kaenzig has a great story about this issue in this video interview. He was playing Wagner Ring Excerpts in Grant Park, and felt he was having trouble keeping up with the contrabass trombone player. In a lesson, he told Mr. Jacobs that he was having a hard time competing with the contrabass trombone, and Mr. Jacobs said "Never compete, always compliment." They then worked on some of the things discussed above, and after the concert, Fritz's students were really excited to tell him that the tuba was coming through like crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9quZqRp40" target="_blank
Andy
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Ace wrote:Here are brief excerpts of the San Francisco Symphony. The tubist probably would have been Floyd Cooley.

https://youtu.be/YKYbPSDc2Xs?t=358" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

https://youtu.be/YKYbPSDc2Xs?t=471" target="_blank" target="_blank

Ace
Yes, this is Floyd
Andy
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

+1 to what happyroman posted about Jacobs.

When I played at my loudest, I was mentally staying as relaxed as I could, letting the wind do the work for me. Like the analogy of a string player's bow -- you can imagine how hard it would be to make a good string sound when you've tensed up your shoulders, back muscles, and even your legs.

Going down a tangent --

Do you work out? Run, lift, crossfit, yoga, tae bo, etc? Being in shape helps, but being able to mentally focus while breathing hard is the real benefit for playing a wind instrument. My gig often had me playing loud (fortissimo-plus), usually while marching, and the challenge was to be ready physically and mentally. When we cranked it up, there was fire and brimstone coming out the bell, while on my side of the mouthpiece, I was just focusing on taking big, steady breaths, kind of a mix between jogging and vinyasa yoga sequences.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

windshieldbug wrote:To put all this from another point of view,
don't try to make a "big" sound.
I try to make a "focused" sound.
+1

I would only add to this: 1) spot-on intonation, which will help you produce 2) more resonance.

Let the natural harmonics of sound help you.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".