small tuba recommendations

The bulk of the musical talk
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Re: small tuba recommendations

Post by pjv »

ok.
I've heard about Yamaha Airlift stands being very light. I don't know if they're still in production but I seem to remember it getting some good reviews.
Anyway, neck problems and playing tuba are no strangers to each other. In all honesty, with most tubas its quite difficult to play them while sitting up straight. One often has to have their head&neck forward a bit in order to play. Many players don't have a problem with this but I do, so I have often had mouthpiece adjustments made to tubas to compensate for this.
A lighter tuba will certainly make lifting it easier. Smaller may or may not be the way to go. Try, then buy (of coarse).
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

maybe you can squat the tuba, instead of using your arms and back too much???
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

tiger=12lbs
piggy=22lbs
tiger is a larger wrap than a piggy. Not that I'm recommending either. If you are really going to make a change then you really have to try out what works for you. If that means making a road trip then I'd think that this would be worth the investment.
jstrother123
bugler
bugler

Post by jstrother123 »

I can't thank the group enough for all of the input. I want to also put in a good word for Mack Brass. I had reached out to them about their horns and they were very helpful in looking at my setup with the hercules stand and offered a solution to help it handle my horn's weight (a hose clamp just above the clamping screw).

Jim
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Mark Finley wrote:Having had a piggy for 20 years, I'm really doubting the 22 pound figure. I'd put it more at 16
The weights thread had them down for 18. They probably do get heavier if you overfeed them.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

I took it from the Cerveny site.
Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if their tubas have become lighter over the years. They certainly haven't changed their site much.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

jstrother123 wrote:...were very helpful in looking at my setup with the hercules stand and offered a solution to help it handle my horn's weight (a hose clamp just above the clamping screw).

Jim
Thanks for passing it along!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

There is a 3/4-size Eastman which is essentially a YBB-103 body with a King-clone 4-piston front-action valve set. I bought one almost a year ago and still like it. I recently performed the "Carioca" solo for tuba and band with it, standing up with a strap. I would recommend it for a geezer like me or for a good middle-school kid.
I also like my Tiger for its light weight and fat sound, but it is not comfortable to play (for me) and is not built to last.
jstrother123
bugler
bugler

Post by jstrother123 »

Thanks everyone for the input and recommendations. I have located a yamaha 103 for a decent price and hopefully will be able to get back into playing again. On a side note, my Marzan slant rotor will be available in a couple of months after I adjust to the new horn.

Jim
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Conn 10J has always been my favorite small tuba. 3 upright valves, big 18" bell and in tune from the factory. They really sing and sound a lot bigger with a deep funnel mouthpiece like a helleberg. You can pick a good one up for a few hundred dollars usually. I just sold one for $300 in excellent playing condition.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Didn't see you already went with the 103. Fun little horns. Good luck!
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid