Shopping for tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Shopping for tubas

Post by mbeastep »

I'll be in Danville, Kentucky for the brass band festival June1-3 and lingering in Tennessee and North Carolina until June 12. On behalf of myself and some students, I would like to try some 4/4 CC tubas as well as better quality E-flat and F tubas. If you have anything like that for sale or trade, please contact me before May 31. By way of trade (not traveling with me) I have a PT-6P CC, a Miraphone Firebird F and a Meinl 45 F. Thanks!

Michael Eastep
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Shopping for tubas

Post by mbeastep »

Wow, not a single person in three states who wants to sell a horn. Probably should have posted in the buying and selling section. Oh well, stay in touch.

ME
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

From Danville to Tennessee and North Carolina is a pretty wide path... any specific cities you will visit?

Beyond that, Appalachia is maybe not the biggest hotbed for tuba activity. It's a beautiful place, especially this time of year... but not all that much going on.
Northernlb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Northernlb »

Your not coming up to New England so I can't help you. Maybe next time.

Thanks,
:tuba:
tubadoctor
bugler
bugler

Post by tubadoctor »

I've also got some stuff here, so if you come through New England and go a bit further south at any point let me know!
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

And if you take a more easterly route, you could stop at Baltimore Brass and Dillon Music.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Things that may help you topic get more attention and may help you:

1. A better title? "Shopping for tubas in TN and NC June 3 to 12." ( I completely skipped over this subject the first time.)
2. A post on the Facebook tuba group, it's different crowd than here, mostly younger so they may be more inclined to trades.
3. Have you contacted Bloke? He's in TN.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

Hi Michael,
Well, we here in East Tennessee are not 'zactly completely tuba ignorant. If I were you I would give a call to U-T in Knoxville in case there is some student looking to unload a tuba. Also, there IS a hotbed of tuba activity at Tennessee Tech Univ. in Cookeville, home of Prof. R. Winston Morris and the Tennessee Tech Tuba Ensemble, composed of the students from his studio, I believe. In the concert photo I pulled up there are 21 tubas! I haven't been there lately to see what's on the floor, but Rich's Music in Knoxville, just 1/4 mile south of the river over the Henley Street Bridge, sometimes has tubas for sale. You could call them. Mostly I have seen BBbs there, but one never knows.

Rich Willey is a jazz trumpeter in Asheville, NC who has recently taken up the tuba. Dave Wilken is a trombone guy and great Reinhardt guru at WNC at Cullowhee, NC. Wouldn't hurt to call those guys if you are networking. There ARE tuba players who don't hang here.

If you just want to have a beer, PM me, I'm a rank amateur tuba player in Knoxville. I have two BBbs and an old 3 valve Keefer Eb, but I'm not interested in selling them...I would also do a national search for tubas on craigslist or just go to zoomthelist to do it. You will find several craigslist regions on your way. Might be something around Nashville...I don't know the music schools in Nashville or the music stores, but there definitely are some...I don't mention Bloke only because it seems you're coming east rather than going toward Memphis...

Good luck in your search!
royjohn
royjohn