Euph Question: Denis Wick Equivalent Mpcs?

The bulk of the musical talk
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Euph Question: Denis Wick Equivalent Mpcs?

Post by Levaix »

Yeah, I know, I know, this is TubeNet, not EuphNet. But who wants to register for another forum?

I've been happily playing a classic Wick 3AL on my euphonium for some years now, but after recently finding some near-perfect matches for my other horns, it has me wondering what else is out there. Obviously the different brands have their own house sound and philosophy, and Denis Wick is fairly unique both in its playing characteristics and ubiquity in the brass band world. So what else is out there with a similar sound philosophy? I would really like something with the same dark sound but just a touch more life and projection for solo passages.

For what it's worth, I have tried and subsequently abandoned the classic DW 4AL, Steven Mead series, SM Ultra series, DW Heritage series, LOUD, Perantucci, and the old standby Schilke 51D. Not exactly looking for a specific recommendation, more just wondering if anyone else has considered and found any answers to this question rattling around my head on a lazy Saturday.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Euph Question: Denis Wick Equivalent Mpcs?

Post by TheTuba »

hehehehe

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Plated-Eu ... mouthpiece" target="_blank

9 dollars of top quality
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
JasonEuphonium
bugler
bugler

Post by JasonEuphonium »

Alliance David Childs series? Haven't tried them myself but I've been meaning to. They are based on the design of the classic DW AL pieces.
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

JasonEuphonium wrote:Alliance David Childs series? Haven't tried them myself but I've been meaning to. They are based on the design of the classic DW AL pieces.
Haven't tried it! Thanks for the tip. I was under the impression the old Alliance models were similar to the SM series.
HenkEb
lurker
lurker

Post by HenkEb »

Did you try K&G 3D?
With this link you can hear an example on a Sterling Euphonium.. (low quality telephone recording )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOn0wlnnbRU" target="_blank
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

In that general size range the G&W Carbonaria is a decent option as is the slightly smaller Kadja
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

:lol:
The brand is Glory and it's got a **** so doing the math its a " " please extrapolate
:shock:
TheTuba wrote:hehehehe

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Plated-Eu ... mouthpiece" target="_blank" target="_blank

9 dollars of top quality
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
Dubby
bugler
bugler

Post by Dubby »

Don’t know how it compares in specs, but I was very happy with a Schilke 52e2 after using a 3AL for a while.
rodgeman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by rodgeman »

Dubby wrote:Don’t know how it compares in specs, but I was very happy with a Schilke 52e2 after using a 3AL for a while.
I also agree with Schilke - I used a 52E2 and a Schilke Concert D5.3* on my Besson New Standard.