RT-44 review

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

RT-44 review

Post by TheTuba »

review of RT-44 (not sure if PT is same)

Initial
-High range got easier and sounded better than the Bach 18
-Low range was same, but had more color
-Middle range was bad, but I got used to it.

2 weeks
-After getting used to the mouthpiece, I figured out where to "direct" my sound into different sides (Inside parts) of the mouthpiece.
-Middle range instantly became the best range.
-BUT, D-F became thin (in staff)(mostly my fault though, just listing experiences.)

3 months
-becomes my fav
-Rich tonal character, very colorful
-became 1st chair with this

I would recommend this mouthpiece to intermediate to advance players. After a while, it became kind of hard to "steer" it around.(pretty sure its me). This mouthpiece is a basic template for whatever sound you imagine. For example, my teacher has a very dark sound, very "american", while I have a very rich and colorful sound, very much like the tuba players in german polka bands. If you have the chops, air, and a particular sound you want to recreate, this does the job very well.
specs:
33 mm rim
rim is rounded, yet has a definite line to hold lips in place. one of the most comfortable I have played on. I would compare it to a Bach's mouthpiece rim, but better in a way of response and clarity,
8.4mm bore
-bore never got in way of playing. helps with the tone color.
Also, the mouthpiece is light and balanced. Moving from the bach's to this, I doubted how it was going to put out volume, but the volume/stability it can put out is amazing so don't let it discourage you.
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: RT-44 review

Post by TheTuba »

This was a long time coming, so any Q's just ask!
I just got RT-48 today and i'll post a review in the next 2 weeks
wagtuba23
bugler
bugler

Post by wagtuba23 »

My RT 44 (old PT44) is my favorite mouthpiece so far for the last 15 years. I have tried several mouthpieces (other brands as well) and I always keep coming back to my beloved 44.
Walter Gomes
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

When I tried the 44 it was very comfortable but did not sound as good as others. It did make me a fan of the rounded rim regardless of maker.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

ren wrote:
TheTuba wrote:review of RT-44 (not sure if PT is same)

Initial
-High range got easier and sounded better than the Bach 18
-Low range was same, but had more color
-Middle range was bad, but I got used to it.

2 weeks
-After getting used to the mouthpiece, I figured out where to "direct" my sound into different sides (Inside parts) of the mouthpiece.
-Middle range instantly became the best range.
-BUT, D-F became thin (in staff)(mostly my fault though, just listing experiences.)

3 months
-becomes my fav
-Rich tonal character, very colorful
-became 1st chair with this

I would recommend this mouthpiece to intermediate to advance players. After a while, it became kind of hard to "steer" it around.(pretty sure its me). This mouthpiece is a basic template for whatever sound you imagine. For example, my teacher has a very dark sound, very "american", while I have a very rich and colorful sound, very much like the tuba players in german polka bands. If you have the chops, air, and a particular sound you want to recreate, this does the job very well.
specs:
33 mm rim
rim is rounded, yet has a definite line to hold lips in place. one of the most comfortable I have played on. I would compare it to a Bach's mouthpiece rim, but better in a way of response and clarity,
8.4mm bore
-bore never got in way of playing. helps with the tone color.
Also, the mouthpiece is light and balanced. Moving from the bach's to this, I doubted how it was going to put out volume, but the volume/stability it can put out is amazing so don't let it discourage you.
Can you make a youtube video to demonstrate?
Video will come out this weekend, and maybe friday.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

I bought a PT44 from Custom Music and it's way better than the RT44.
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

Ken Crawford wrote:I bought a PT44 from Custom Music and it's way better than the RT44.
Thank you for your intentionally rude comment that did not help this post at all, other than stating your biased opinions! I'm happy you found something that works for you!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84750&start=20" target="_blank" target="_blank

:tuba:
Last edited by TheTuba on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Ken Crawford wrote:I bought a PT44 from Custom Music and it's way better than the RT44.
FAKE!! :lol:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

bloke wrote:I found this, just in case anyone is interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/44
I'm thinking that by 2044 the Jinbao factory will be cranking out JB44 mouthpieces, which will provide 44% better lead pipe nodal stability than the RT44 mouthpiece.