Advice on F tuba mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Advice on F tuba mouthpiece

Post by TheTuba »

my teacher uses a RT-44 on his F tuba and CC tuba.
I think that similar mouthpieces on different tubas will not impact your playing as much,lets say, a Bach and a Conn 7B.
so, when picking a F-tuba mouthpiece, choose ones that you LIKE, than narrow it down to ones that are LIKE your current one.
BUT, sound always come first, so if I sound amazing on one mouthpiece, I will gladly trade that for switching between different styles and killing my face, lol.
Also, the RT-64/PT-64 has been a staple among German F soloists.
Finally, if you've ever heard a German polka band (highly encouraged to watch), you know how amazing the players sound.
Incase you switch your mind to a different sound profile, the RT-40 is
"revolution for Large-Bore rotary F's...........Make the German Orchestral F-TUBA sound part of your life!"
just putting the last one out there.
Hope you find one!
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

I think that you can make inferences on how other players approach the contrabass/bass tuba mouthpiece question by looking at some of the various manufacturer's "signature" series. For example, Gidding's "Baer" and "Fossi" series seem like they're presented as a matched pair. You can also see the (implied) differences between "F" and "C" (air quotes, 'cause it's up to the player to make the choice) mouthpieces if you read the Potenza Mr P or Robert Tucci's mouthpiece descriptions. Then, choose the gear that lets you get your intended sound.

For example, I play a relatively large bass and small contrabass so I try to emphasize the difference between these tubas by using a rather small bass mouthpiece (Mirafone TU-13--very similar to the old PT-9/new RT-64) and a large contrabass mouthpiece (Josef Klier 2A--similar to a TU-33 or maybe an RT-88).

Once you find out what you like based on what you feel and hear under the bell, I'd suggest taking someone with an opinion you trust (a teacher, someone in your section, or in your quintet...) out to a performance-like venue (recital hall, band room, or church) and have them provide you feedback. Sometimes our perceptions don't match our intentions.
E. Green
bugler
bugler

Good sounding mouthpiece

Post by E. Green »

Ren,

The remarks posted should help you determine what works best for you. Tucci's new mouthpieces (RT) are obviously very good. I have an RT-64 - really gets the job done. You might try the Canadian Brass MB-64, similar in some ways and different in others. Mike Jipson at the Canadian Brass Store has both. The instrument for which a new mouthpiece is required would be interesting....

Eugene
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

I have mouthpieces of various opening diameters and sizes I use for both horns. For my main pieces, I keep the rims the same (I have two of bloke's so it is really easy to match rims), but I will switch to other mouthpieces if the situation requires a particular color or timbre.

Most importantly, find mouthpieces that are comfortable, learn the horns, and then switch to a different comfortable mouthpiece if you don't like the timbre/color. Once you learn two different horns (even if in the same key), you will play them the way they require and not try to play them like they are the same horn. This will keep you from "wrecking your face."

A specific recommendation, which is more in line with your request, contact bloke and see what he recommends. His solo is a good fit with the berg (which it looks like you have from your signature), but there are also threads on the forum here where people discuss what they like best with this horn. I'd read those and pick whichever mouthpiece seems to be most like what you have to start with.

Hope this helps.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

ren wrote:Thanks for the info pauvog1, I should have or was trying to ask for opinions on a type of mouthpiece for the situation. And the responses have definitely identified some brands and numbers.

I have a few mouthpieces ordered and hopefully when I get some concept of myself playing an F tuba one of them will make sense to my ear.

While bloke is certainly a genius in this respect I’m not personally doing the stainless thing yet.
I’ve never played a pt or rt or Doug Elliot in my life, just fishing for opinions on what kinds of MPs work well with an F (besides orchestra sound)

I have ordered some of these so I’ll see if a light goes on in my dim tuba brain when I try them.
hope you find one, no matter the brand or type!
I would put a good signature here, but i dont have one, so this will make do.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

ren wrote: Should I use the same MP, use a smaller helleberg style MP, or use a cup style MP?

While I would like it to be either the same or as similar as possible MP, the sound is really more important to me just wondering what people generally do.
Just based on what I think is out there, does it not seem that most modern bass tuba mouthpieces lean towards more of a bowl shape? I'm no F tuba player, and don't know every mouthpiece either, so that's really just a question. But I should add, it's my impression that mouthpiece makers sometimes describe a mouthpiece as helleberg style or funnel shaped if it's anything but the most overt bowl shape, and that amounts to the exception that proves the rule.

Another way to look at it might be: a more conical interior profile reduces cup volume, all other things being equal, and so naturally some mouthpieces may serve for either contrabass or bass tuba, some players finding satisfactory physical depth for contrabass, others finding that the lesser volume suits the bass. The Conn 7B for example, which some people hold to be a bass tuba mouthpiece, though it's apparently the standard Helleberg size historically speaking. So the market for specific bass tuba mouthpieces may lean more towards bowl shapes, not because the conical alternative is less popular, but because it's more versatile and hence not officially a bass tuba mouthpiece.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

ren wrote:It either sounds great or it doesnt.
Ain't it the truth. Though it may eventually sound greater, or I suppose not so great, at a later time, as playing and ears change.
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

A mouthpiece line I have recently been delving into is Wedge. I found that on rotary tubas contrary to a lot of opinions a helleberg cup on a rotary tuba sounds incredible versus a Geib cup. I played a concert just today with my 6/4 BMB with a Wedge SG and it sounded immensely easier and comfortable than my Deck 3F. You may consider giving them a try, they are very comfortable and sound great!
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

ren wrote:I play a helleberg variant on my C tuba, is there any prevailing wisdom as to how to switch between CC and F horns daily and not wreck your face?
Should I use the same MP, use a smaller helleberg style MP, or use a cup style MP?

While I would like it to be either the same or as similar as possible MP, the sound is really more important to me just wondering what people generally do.
To be clear, Im not interested in massive orchestral F B&S style sound, just a warm, present, solo-ish tuba tone.

Thanks! :tuba:
Wessex Chief!