Weltklang/B&S Kaiser BBb

The bulk of the musical talk
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Weltklang/B&S Kaiser BBb

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Looks like the classic B&S 101 basic model with a wider bell. Do you know what the bore size is?

Weltklang was one of many, many names found on these tubas. Generally they play well.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Looks relacquered? Probably a pretty decent tuba... and that bell reminds me of old B&F tubas. What's the price?
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Uwe has some cool horns and is great and honest to buy from. The only problem is it takes 3 weeks from Germany to the U.S. and our Customs will rip all the bubble wrap off a horn and possible not re-pack the instrument before it gets to it's final destination, so be careful if you end up buying it. :cry:
Mmarttila
lurker
lurker

Post by Mmarttila »

I have understood these would be very close to Alexander 164’s in characteristics, TheBerlinerTuba could for shure tell more.
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

Is it a model 104? there is good info here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72451

I have bought a tuba from Uwe. Was really well packed. I would ask him about the partials lining up - he should be able to elaborate on the intonation
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

You might ask him to, depending on your budget, put a 2nd valve trigger on it.

If you buy it make sure you get insurance, both with him and from someone local. He packed mine really well but who knows what customs will do. Mine arrived in perfect condition
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Doc wrote:
bloke wrote:yep...
...seems as though it's a "blown-out" version of the well-known 4/4 model
What is the difference in specs?
Unless someone else comes up with something other then what Bloke posted, the larger bore and slightly larger bell are probably the main differences.

Love to hear the Weltklang play!
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Holy mackerel, that does look just about big enough.

I'm starting to suspect the Uwe in Aachen who sold me a helicon is a different person, but anyway he chose to send it via air freight. I think he just gave it to the shipping company, and they packed it up and got it to the airport. It took me a fair part of the day running around at the airport and vicinity, and it was pretty darn expensive, but I'm sure there's no safer way.
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

According to my experience (I earlier have shipped tubas through DHL Germany to USA) shipment will cost between Euro 150 and 200 (depending on size and weight of the package). Extra insurance for a value of Euro 5000 will be some 75 Euro (basic insurance with DHL only covers Euro 500). It normally takes 10 to 12 working days from start to delivery.
DHL ships to a major US airport, from there USPS (their contract partner) takes over. Shipment can be followed (not very detailed) through tracking number. USPS will contact the receiver before delivery (if receiver's phone number and/or email address is added to shipment data.
Hubert
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

"Klein Koblenz" on it suggests it was possibly made for Luftwaffe.
Not surprising it's sold.
Other old kaiser tubas galore on the site: couple versions of 6/4 Cerveny/B&F, some familiar 4/4 weltklang and cerveny, and some "5/4" (ehhh...big 4/4?) things that are really cool-looking but not matching a wellknown model.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

that's just what you see when you google it, and hit "Translate to English".
has about as much credibility as anything you might happen to read on say this site.
Doc wrote:
TheGoyWonder wrote:"Klein Koblenz" on it suggests it was possibly made for Luftwaffe.
Not surprising it's sold.
Other old kaiser tubas galore on the site: couple versions of 6/4 Cerveny/B&F, some familiar 4/4 weltklang and cerveny, and some "5/4" (ehhh...big 4/4?) things that are really cool-looking but not matching a wellknown model.

What is the “Klein Koblenz” relationship to the Luftwaffe?
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

Did someone on here buy this? When I saw it I had to sit there all day going "I don't need a kaiser, I don't need a kaiser..."
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

Sorry to bump a dead post, but still curious whether a member bought this from Uwe and what their impressions are. Otherwise never mind me!
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

Thank you so much! Truth be told I believe that was posted while I was out of town and generally staying off my phone. D'oh! Very cool tuba, interesting to hear it's likely not a B&S after all.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Doc wrote:After I quit trying to play it like a "big" tuba, it became easy to play.
I'm finding that the case with my PT7 as well. If I try to play it "big," it's just more than is necessary. It's already big... I just have to make it "go." If I try to push and play the living crap out of it... yes, that's possible... but no, it's not necessary, and it would take a lot more control to make it work and sound reasonable. Kind of makes me think of Warren Deck, and the insane amount of force and air and sound he put through the tuba. David Fedderly once told me something like "Warren plays in Manhattan and they hear him in Jersey."

Anyway, it's good that playing relaxed gives the desired results. Let the tuba do the work. Unfortunately, my mind and body still physically equate playing tuba to playing a Mirahpone 188. Will take some work and time to get used to this!