Custom Martin Wilk BBb**Price Drop - TRADED

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Custom Martin Wilk BBb**Price Drop - TRADED

Post by mwlorrison893 »

Custom BBb Martin Wilk. Removable valve section and lead pipe. Vented MAV valves. Has two tuning slides. One is a regular one and the other is a reverse tuning slide. Comes with a gigbag as well. Asking $4,500. Located in Huntington, WV. Also, it just needs polished up where it is in raw brass. Great playing and open in all registers. I know most people say their horn is great and then try to become that salesman but this horn plays. The reason for selling the horn is because in have two BBb's.

******UPDATE on price. $4,500.00

I'm in the process of trying to get the pictures to load and or dropbox linking them. I'm not tech savvy.
I believe I got the dropbox set up.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/044epc52jkvw ... dzXwa?dl=0" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by mwlorrison893 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
adelarosa
bugler
bugler

Re: Custom Martin Wilk BBb Tuba

Post by adelarosa »

Wow, what a beautiful instrument! Martin's work is fantastic and if I were in the market for a B-flat horn I'd be making an offer.

I don't know the buyer but I would bet some coin this is a brilliant player - and looks pretty great, too. Good luck to the seller!
adelarosa
bugler
bugler

Post by adelarosa »

Images for seller:
Again, good luck!
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

Nice looking horn.

Two questions:

What is a reversable tuning slide?

The bell is a Conn. Is the rest of the horn a Conn as well with MAW slides?

Thanks,
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Post by mwlorrison893 »

Reversible tuning slide is the same as what you see sometimes on a trumpet. Instead of the tuning sliding going in tubing, it goes over tubing. Believed to help with the flow of air from what I've been told. Yes, the bell is an old Conn Eb Monster bell and the rest of the horn is from unknown. I believe the valve cluster appear to be something comparable to B&S but not 100% sure on that.
DavidK
bugler
bugler

Post by DavidK »

This is an awesome 5/4 tuba! With a great voice.

Martin Wilk built it for me and unfortunately hard times forced me to sell it a few years back. It was pristine, dent and scratch free at that time.

The bell and branches are all from a 1915 US Navy commissioned BBb horn. It is not a Monster Eb, it is too tall and the diameter at the first ferrule is much larger than a Monster Eb or similar modern King 2341. Martin actually had sent me photos of King 2341 tubes compared to the Conn. In every instance the Conn branches were bigger and the King tube end fit inside of the corresponding Conn tube end. And if memory serves me correctly, the bell is 20-1/2 inches wide.

It was originally a top-action upright tuba, but Martin rearranged the wrap and made it a front-action for me. The valve section is Meinl Weston 'large vales' The same as on all of their large tubas. With the MAW custom valves. The valve slides are all custom configured, straight as an arrow and work wonderfully.
One of the main tuning slides is traditional, with both legs fitting inside the matching tubes from the valve section. The other tuning slide has the thinner leg fitting over the corresponding tube from the valve body, so one leg is outside-fit, the other is inside-fit. As mentioned, this is similar to many trumpets on the market. It provides a different blowing experience and coloration of tone. Attempting to describe the difference does not do the horn justice.

This chassis, the bell and main branches, tubing taper are identical to the vaunted "Donatelli" Conn tuba that surfaces here every few years. Yes, I actually measured them side by side, when that horn was at Dillon's. The funny thing is that the bell on the "Donatelli" horn is from a top action tuba, because of the location of the seam. Or maybe Conn, at the time, only produced the tuba bells one way and that is how it went. The seam on this horn runs up the back, opposite the engraving, as you can see in the last photo.

Please do NOT polish this horn. The finish is a "Scotch Brite" scratch finish everywhere except the bell engraving. You would be investing way too much effort to try to actually polish the horn. You might try a liquid wash on/wash off type of product to brighten it up, but trying to make it smooth and shiney will remove too much metal. The inside of the bell is smooth with no Scotch-Brite finish.

All of the reinforcing rings at the ends of the slide tubes are bronze, so they will have a different color. The valve section and lead pipe connecting hardware is Conn/King and easily disconnected using an allen wrench.

You will not go wrong with this horn.
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

Well, thank you David. That answers questions I had regarding the size of the horn. Looks like a real sweet horn.
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Hi there,

Is the MAW/Conn still available? Gorgeous horn.

Thanks!

Ryan
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Post by mwlorrison893 »

Yes it is
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

Hey there:

This might sound like a strange question but would it be possible to get picture of this horn being held while seated in the playing position? Also, maybe next to another horn? I am trying to gauge actual size and determine if this would work for me or not. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mike
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

I second what Michael said. This is a gorgeous instrument. I would love to understand its ergonomics and scale a little better.

Coming to Huntington isn't out of the question for me either.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Post by mwlorrison893 »

Michael Grant wrote:Hey there:

This might sound like a strange question but would it be possible to get picture of this horn being held while seated in the playing position? Also, maybe next to another horn? I am trying to gauge actual size and determine if this would work for me or not. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mike
This isn't an issue I will get to that in the morning or afternoon. I'll get a picture of it beside my Gnagey and Conn 25J. (4/4, 5/4, and 6/4) I work nights so I typically don't get online here until once I'm at work. I'll send you a message once I do.
Thanks for the interest.
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Post by mwlorrison893 »

Ltrain wrote:I second what Michael said. This is a gorgeous instrument. I would love to understand its ergonomics and scale a little better.

Coming to Huntington isn't out of the question for me either.
You're welcome to Huntington, WV at time!
Have a mini jam out session on the porch or somewhere.
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

You're welcome to Huntington, WV at time!
Have a mini jam out session on the porch or somewhere.[/quote]

Bring a whole new meaning to the words “Thundering Herd”.

Or would that be Thundering Heard.
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Post by mwlorrison893 »

Michael Grant wrote:You're welcome to Huntington, WV at time!
Have a mini jam out session on the porch or somewhere.
Bring a whole new meaning to the words “Thundering Herd”.

Or would that be Thundering Heard.[/quote]

:) :) :)
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Re: Custom Martin Wilk BBb**Price Drop**

Post by mwlorrison893 »

PRICE DROP Asking $6,000 plus buyer pays shipping
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Re: Custom Martin Wilk BBb**Price Drop**

Post by mwlorrison893 »

Bump and Price Drop to $5,500.00
Needs to go due to my twin daughters being involved in competitive dance studios now and well, that stuff is expensive! Haha.
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Custom Martin Wilk BBb**Price Drop $5,500**

Post by Peach »

How's that photo coming along?
I'm not in the market but would love to see more of this tuba - looks great...
Peach
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Re: Custom Martin Wilk BBb**Price Drop $4,500**

Post by mwlorrison893 »

NEW PRICE $4,500.00
williamp
bugler
bugler

Re: Custom Martin Wilk BBb**Price Drop $4,500**

Post by williamp »

Hard to imagine getting a better BBb for that price, IMO. I already have three great BBbs, but it still peaked my interest...

Good luck with the sale.