Conn 80J

The bulk of the musical talk
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Conn 80J

Post by Gus_Pratt »

I recently purchased a Conn 80J made about 1925. Valves are in incredible condition. The body has very few dents, but has a few patches that were done very well. When I first saw it, I thought the bell was a sousaphone bell but as I did research, I have come to the conclusion the bell is original to the horn. The bell is 90 degrees, which generally indicates a sousaphone bell; but when I look at the picture from a 20s catalog the bell appears to be a full 90 degrees in the drawing, and I have seen photos online of the 80J with this style bell. Also when I measure the bell it measures 23", which is what the original brochure says the bell should measure. The Conn Loyalist page quotes a 1934 ad that states that they tilted the bell upward in 1934 for better visibility. Can anyone verify the pre-1934 80J bells were a full 90 degrees.

Also I'd like to ask on whether the 80J was designed to use a bit, or whether they were designed to be put on a stand.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Re: Conn 80J

Post by Gus_Pratt »

lost wrote:The conn 80j had an opening bell collar around 5 something if i remember from the 1 I briefly owned. This is far smaller than any sousaphone bell they ever made.
This horn clearly has the larger bell collar opening, about 6 1/4 or so. But the bell is just under 23" which smaller then most sousaphone bells. Maybe mine isn't an 80J, but S/N puts it at 1925, and it is bell front, front action, three valve. When I look at Conn Loyalist, I do not see any other model with those features in that time frame.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

I'm not real good at photos. Hopefully this works.

https://imgur.com/a/IDIaNPM" target="_blank
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

Just for the record, I found this on eBay for $235, and then $160 shipping by Greyhound; So not a bad investment for under $400.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

Mine is definitely a 5/4. It has a .735 bore, and the branches are almost as big as a 20J.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

It measures 15 5/8".

According to Conn Loyalist, the 1926 advertisement for the 80J said "This model is of the same bore and pitch as the regular Conn "Monster" BBb Bass, and is in all respects similar to that instrument, with the added feature of the adjustable bell"