traveling to Australia with a CC tuba. Ship or rent?

The bulk of the musical talk
chaspol
lurker
lurker

traveling to Australia with a CC tuba. Ship or rent?

Post by chaspol »

My son is traveling to Sydney, Australia for an high school honors performance in a couple of weeks and judging from our past experience, the airlines can be quite unpredictable in how they charge for checking a tuba. Our last trip from LA to Boulder, CO, United wanted to charge $425 initially and went down to $325. On the next leg after much haggling, we worked them down to $125.

Is there an advantage to shipping ahead of time, especially on an international trip? And what are the names of alternative carriers?

I'm open to rentals, but all I could find were longer term rentals and only for BBb tubas.

Thanks!

Charley
Last edited by chaspol on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Re: traveling overseas with a tuba

Post by TheGoyWonder »

They have tuba players in australia.
you can probably hire one for like $50.
that is way cheaper.
chaspol
lurker
lurker

Re: traveling overseas with a tuba

Post by chaspol »

Thanks Bloke! I started to look into that before I posted (and failed to mention that he has a Miraphone CC Bruckner), but I could only find BBb tubas and they were for longer term rentals. Any Aussie locals are also welcome to pipe in!
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Re: traveling to Australia with a CC tuba. Ship or rent?

Post by Patrase »

If you want to get in contact with us Aussie's search for the Australian tuba players Facebook page, ask to join and put up a post. I have been told the Sydney Conservatorium has a PT6 tuba. You might be able to rent that. But I couldn't say for sure as I have no connection with them. It might also help to say who your sons teacher is as your teacher might have a connection with some Sydney locals.
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
chaspol
lurker
lurker

Post by chaspol »

Thanks, Patrase! Will do. BTW, his teacher is P Blake Cooper - I will note that on the Facebook request.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Try contacting Steve Rosse, principal tuba with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. He is a great guy and may be able and willing to help you out.

+61 2 9351 1348
Email
steven.rosse@sydney.edu.au" target="_blank

Be quick. Rentals are not common thing here and shipping it by air will be expensive and risky.
Free to tuba: good home
chaspol
lurker
lurker

Post by chaspol »

Thanks Ken! Looks like he is on vacation till July 11 tho.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

I'll try to Contact Steve via the SSO. He would be playing concerts this week. He would be on school holidays break from the conservatory for a couple weeks. I'll PM you as soon as I hear something.

You might get very lucky and find a private person (not music store) who would help out. Rentals would likely be a very slim chance otherwise.

If you have to fly the instrument you would need a very good case and probably book it as priority cargo to go on the same flight.

Will pursue possibilities here.
Free to tuba: good home
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Good luck renting a tuba, seriously. I would not ship under any circumstances.

The last tuba I had shipped was taken from the case by a TSA inspector who removed all the slides and the packing I carefully inserted into the bell, then dropped the horn on the side of the flight case leaving a 2" deep crease. All that was compounded by various dents and scratches caused by loose tuning slides rattling around with the additional bell material deforming the bell. Yes, the slides were also dented.

I got nothing from the airline. Nothing. I repaired the horn "well enough" for a high school band and sold it, loosing about a thousand dollars.
I am surprised the band he is traveling with hasn't encountered this issue before and come up with a solution. Pretty sloppy on their part.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
chaspol
lurker
lurker

Post by chaspol »

Thanks for all of the replies! I am now looking into renting either a CC (if available) or a BBb and he will prepare in the appropriate key.