Valve Fabricators?

The bulk of the musical talk
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Valve Fabricators?

Post by Gongadin »

I've read posts in the past that have mentioned people who fabricate valves from scratch, but I do not know who's currently active in this pursuit. I have a Jumbo sousaphone that needs a set of three valves made from scratch. The other option is to have a set copied from a set to which I have access.
I would appreciate any leads as to who still does this - if you need me to pm you for the info that's fine too.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: Valve Fabricators?

Post by windshieldbug »

Schlepporello wrote:
bloke wrote:
Gongadin wrote:I've read posts in the past that have mentioned people who fabricate valves from scratch, but I do not know who's currently active in this pursuit. I have a Jumbo sousaphone that needs a set of three valves made from scratch. The other option is to have a set copied from a set to which I have access.
I would appreciate any leads as to who still does this - if you need me to pm you for the info that's fine too.
Honestly, it would probably be less expensive to buy a badly-distressed old .750" bore Bohm & Meinl 4-piston BBb front-action concert tuba, take its valveset, make needed alterations, and reBay what's left of the tuba. No...It wouldn't be "original", but neither would be your fabricated pistons.
Where's my "Like" button?

8)
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Gongadin »

Thanks, Bloke, but I'm trying to avoid replacing the valve section. If that becomes necessary, do you have the suggested B&M .750 section? :?
Okay, back to the original question. There's Martin Wilk, and...?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Dan Oberloh might know something...?
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

There's a guy named Nate Griffith who reportedly makes valves.

I've never used him but remember his name coming up in several threads, including this one:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83319" target="_blank
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Gongadin »

PMeuph wrote:There's a guy named Nate Griffith who reportedly makes valves.

I've never used him but remember his name coming up in several threads, including this one:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83319" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thanks - I've tried sending an email to him in the past, but the address bounces back. Am trying to track down current info now via Google.
Last edited by Gongadin on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Gongadin »

lost wrote:My jumbo raincatcher has a 20k valveset on it and plays way better than the original 46k. You'll be glad you did it!
Thanks, but for the time being we're trying to avoid replacing the valve section. Yours would have been a 42K, most likely, and not a 46K. :wink:
Daniel C. Oberloh
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Daniel C. Oberloh »

I can and have made pistons.

Dan'l
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Gongadin wrote:
PMeuph wrote:There's a guy named Nate Griffith who reportedly makes valves.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83319" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thanks - I've tried sending an email to him in the past, but the address bounces back. Am trying to track down current info now via Google.
I have his current contact information but I'd rather not post it publicly. Send me an email or private message and I'll share what I know.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
TheBerlinerTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheBerlinerTuba »

I second Dan Oberloh.
http://www.oberloh.com