gold-tone titanium coated rims

The bulk of the musical talk
emcallaway
bugler
bugler

Re: gold-tone titanium coated rims

Post by emcallaway »

Aesthetics aside, what benefits does the titanium coating give you? I've been using steel mouthpieces exclusively for years and have no complaints about "raw" steel.
tubacorbin
bugler
bugler

Post by tubacorbin »

I prefer the titanium-coated rims because they don't feel as slippery as the regular stainless steel. That being said, I have always opted for the regular stainless steel rims because they are $35 cheaper.
Cobra1502
bugler
bugler

Post by Cobra1502 »

In the spirit of the “usual helpful” answers you can expect here - sell it with spray paint for customers to customize however they want. Lol.

But in all seriousness...from someone who owns 2 rims, 4 bowls and 4 shanks

I originally ordered my #2 rim with titanium coating as I thought it looked neat. When it wasn’t in stock and gold was - I went with gold. I didn’t want to wait. It not only feels good it matches any gold accents that some folks have on their horns.

For some folks it is also important that their MP look expensive/different/good when playing an expensive mouthpiece rather than just blending in with everybody else’s.

IMHO I would ditch the titanium if you are trying to limit your stock.
Last edited by Cobra1502 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen City Brass Band
Miraphone Bb 191-5V
Besson 982
Yamaha Bb 621S
tubazach07

Post by tubazach07 »

I play a lot in my job and in the last week of switching to a stainless steel mouthpiece with a black titanium rim I find the titanium to have more grip and my chops feel better at the end of the day then with a silver plated mouthpiece. I did have some stainless steel rim examples to try but I just liked the feel of the titanium. In terms of color I think the black(gunmetal blue) looks nice. My advice would be to take note of your popular selling rims that are sold in gold hkote and maybe carry a couple of those and not carry any black unless someone watns to special order.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I know that gold plating wears off quickly and silver wears off eventually. How does titanium Nitride compare?
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Isn’t there another way of “painting” the rims?
If that’d sell it might replace the other coatings.
As far as slippery vs not slippery this is a non issue for me. I try not to use any pressure when I play. The idea of gripping my mpc with my lips is a foreign concept. I’m also more of a dry mpc player.
peterbas
bugler
bugler

Post by peterbas »

deleted
Last edited by peterbas on Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.