Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

Post by Wyvern »

Yesterday Jonathan Hodgetts and Steve Marcus from Wessex Tubas visited Chris Olka of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra to get his feedback on Prokofiev #2, the final prototype for the new Wessex TB693 6/4 BBb tuba - which like the Chicago 6/4 CC will be entirely hand-hammered and as a result lightweight (about 25lb) and responsive. The feedback was that it is even better than Prokofiev #1 and ready to go into production with just some tweaking of slide lengths.

As a result we are pleased this great tuba, maybe the best BBb tuba in the world (!!!) will be out November with Wessex taking pre-orders online from late August. Retail price will be the same as the Chicago CC tuba - $9,750 all handmade and triple silver-plated. Chris Olka has already put his name down for one!

I sincerely thank Chris Olka for all his hospitality, time, such valuable feedback - and the chance to hear the new tuba played by such a great musician.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
groovlow
bugler
bugler

Re: Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

Post by groovlow »

I hope to hear the horn and orchestra next season!!!
Wow
Now back to my 26K :)
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

ren wrote:but omg this would make the marine band very VERY happy.
Only one regular BBb (Fafner) player in the Marine Band out of their nine. When the band will furnish you with a handmade Baer or Yamayork, I doubt anyone is about to jump up and say "I want that Wessex!"
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

A frequent sub/extra with Cleveland and Boston plays a large b flat. They seem to be ok with it.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Ken Crawford wrote: When the band will furnish you with a handmade Baer or Yamayork, I doubt anyone is about to jump up and say "I want that Wessex!"
This is a unique instrument. There's really nothing to compare it with.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

UncleBeer wrote:
Ken Crawford wrote: When the band will furnish you with a handmade Baer or Yamayork, I doubt anyone is about to jump up and say "I want that Wessex!"
This is a unique instrument. There's really nothing to compare it with.
I wasn't calling for a comparison, or calling into question the usability of BBb tubas. Simply stating the facts on the ground. And given the chance to have Uncle Sam buy you literally any tuba made, nobody is going to choose a Wessex. Because they aren't as well made as more expensive tubas.<--period (No need to rehash the Wessex quality propaganda, I've stopped believing)
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Ken Crawford wrote: nobody is going to choose a Wessex. Because they aren't as well made as more expensive tubas.<--period (No need to rehash the Wessex quality propaganda, I've stopped believing)
Have you played or even seen a Prokofiev? No? :lol:
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

UncleBeer wrote:
Ken Crawford wrote: nobody is going to choose a Wessex. Because they aren't as well made as more expensive tubas.<--period (No need to rehash the Wessex quality propaganda, I've stopped believing)
Have you played or even seen a Prokofiev? No? :lol:
I've seen and played the equal quality York and Chicago and French C. So yes, I've seen what the "high-end" (don't quit with the seasons) workers at Jinbao can produce.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Ken Crawford wrote:
I've seen and played the equal quality York and Chicago and French C.
If you haven't seen a Prokofiev, you've got no basis for "equal quality" comparisons.

Uncle "gotta stop feeding the trolls" Beer
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

UncleBeer wrote:
Ken Crawford wrote:
I've seen and played the equal quality York and Chicago and French C.
If you haven't seen a Prokofiev, you've got no basis for "equal quality" comparisons.

Uncle "gotta stop feeding the trolls" Beer
So the prokofiev's construction quality is higher than the new 6/4 CC tubas? I'm not trolling, just navigating the Wessex apologist nonsensical double speak.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

You're on your own, Idaho.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Is this basically a reinvented 6/4 York BBb?
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

A fine recently purchased Wessex:

And yes I do live in Idaho. There is literally a potato field in my backyard. I'm 45 minutes from the Teton mountains and an hour from Yellowstone. Floyd Cooley lives about 30 minutes away. I love Idaho.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

ren wrote:playing c York tubas in a military band is the wrong sound.
Well the next time you go to a Marine Band concert make sure you tell those shlubs they sounded wrong.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Bashing a Sponsor or complaining about them in the Sponsors forum is a good way for TubeNetters being allowed to comment here getting turned off again. If you have something to complain about do it in TubeNet. Sponsors pay for the place and without them the lights go out. They should have the right to the expectation that the Sponsors section should be a place they can post about new developments with their company and products without having pot shots taken at them.

And I applaud Wessex for more than any other company in the last decade bringing out several new horns and trying to fill many customers needs that have been overlooked or dismissed by all the other companies.

I own no Wessex tubas, but do own one of their gig bags and a tuba stand. I own no Chinese tubas, but I would seriously consider this horn. I do own several high quality horns and honestly don't need a 6/4 and only probably have a need for one a few times a year. So I'd be buying it for grins. While I could easily afford a Baer somehow that would be hard to justify that extra level of refinement and build quality for my limited needs (and talent) as a serious amateur. With the Prokofiev it is almost a no brainer. Look at what people have spent on old beat to death Holtons - plus the cost (and long time) to then rebuild them to a high level by someone like Dan Oberloh. That total easily surpasses the cost of this horn. A hand made new improved 6/4 BBb over the old 6/4 York style horns for less than 10 grand - hell yes!
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

ren wrote:
They are just waiting for an amazing bflat.
There are several already on the market IMO. Speaking as a "professional" military musician, it's easy to get turned around on fingers for the different keys, esp. for BBb if that's the key tuba we abandoned (years/decades) ago and yet can still do the job on CC (right notes, right time, right intonation). I'm a much more capable sight reader on CC, which in turn means I prepare more quickly for performance on CC. I've used BBb for performances too, when I had access to a 195P, an amazing BBb I think. Of course that can be remedied with practice, but life happens in military music too.
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

ren wrote:
jtuba wrote:
ren wrote:
There are several already on the market IMO. Speaking as a "professional" military musician, it's easy to get turned around on fingers for the different keys, esp. for BBb if that's the key tuba we abandoned (years/decades) ago and yet can still do the job on CC (right notes, right time, right intonation). I'm a much more capable sight reader on CC, which in turn means I prepare more quickly for performance on CC. I've used BBb for performances too, when I had access to a 195P, an amazing BBb I think. Of course that can be remedied with practice, but life happens in military music too.
I agree with you, I played a CC tuba in the military for the same reason, Im just saying a great bflat tuba would sound amazing in the marine band if the whole section used them. C tubas dont have the classic band sound regardless of the convenience and familiarity.
The tuba players in the Presidents Own switch between all tuba keys regularly, daily even. They play BBb (3 valve!) sousaphones for ceremonies. They all sound frickin amazing on whatever they play, (probably even on a Wessex) because they are professionals. This idea of a "classic band sound" is total bull-only... Play all the correct notes in time, in tune, at the correct volume. That's the "classic band sound" I like...
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheTuba »

ren wrote:Yes c tubas sound like bflat tubas sorry I forgot it’s just a matter of playing ceremonies on sousaphones.

Just like a trumpets sound like d trumpets and b flat trumpets sound like c trumpets and ...

Eflat tubas sound like f tubas and English horns sound like oboes and euphoniums sound like cellos and clarinets sound like saxophones etc :D

And miraphones sound like York’s and holtons sound like Marzans and conns sound like Yamaha’s and drum Corp g tubas sound like kaiser bflats and sousaphones sound like martins and Meinl Weston’s sound like hirsbrunners and Rudy Meinl sound like perantuccis I think you get it
Best of all, I sound like myself!
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

ren wrote:
jtuba wrote:
ren wrote:
I agree with you, I played a CC tuba in the military for the same reason, Im just saying a great bflat tuba would sound amazing in the marine band if the whole section used them. C tubas dont have the classic band sound regardless of the convenience and familiarity.

Where did you play in the military and when?

What is considered a classic tuba/band sound and what tuba/model represents this? just curious. I

I would like for you to take me up on a bet that i can take a BBb and a CC, play the same piece of music and guarentee you would only have a 50% chance of guessing the right key of each horn. Using a BBb or CC or both at the same time in a concert band setting makes no difference at all unless of course you one of rhose that can hear the grass grow kinda tuba blowers. Its not the Key of horn but the design and the player that determines the sound.

QUESTION? You call yourself a pro, what the heck did you for for a living as a pro, when and where? I ask because you make some outrageous statements/comments that blow me away at times. Maybe its time you give a formal introduction to the board of who you are or were so we get a better idea of where you are coming from. At times your remarks seem like you were transplanted from another dimension.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

And the monkey wrapped his tale around the flagpole....