Tennessee Soybean Festival...!?!?

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Tennessee Soybean Festival...!?!?

Post by bisontuba »

Where I use to live is having their last day of their Corn Festival today. Where I live now had their Burger Fest Festival...even talking about painting the water Tower like a Hamburger for a mere $500,000 :roll:
Actually, small town festivals are quite enjoyable and relaxing....
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

Somewhat recent to the rural scene, I'm sort of amazed by the number of local harvest festivals. The awful summer band I'm in only to keep active - I've been told by many in and out of the group that the band is an excuse for free beer, at all practices and performances - has a "Wheat Festival" and a "schlactfest" on the calendar, schlactfest a German ceremonial tradition observing harvesting of livestock. I think two other now-named "fall festival" performances on the schedule were originally post-harvest parties.
bloke wrote: I'm thinking that train service to Clarksville, TN (probably, Louisville & Nashville Railroad...??) ended about a year before the song was released.
Yes, L&N. According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia (not!), the Clarksville, TN reference was not the original thought, it just worked better with the lyrics, and the Fort Campbell proximity just happened to fit the soft-protest nature of the song.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Soybeans nust be more topical and less controversial than Cotton??

Looks like a great gig to me!!

I may even be able to play some of those parts. :oops:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

bloke wrote:That was a Vietnam War era protest song . . . with obvious references to a draftee shipping out from Fort Campbell
I'd say it was more of an obscure reference. Generally Vietnam War protests were pretty clear in their message, whether on the street or in song.

If no one gets the message, it's not much of a protest.

It will be very interesting to see if, how, and when soybean farmers protest the new tariffs. The Soybean Festival could be an interesting place to be.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:
Three Valves wrote:

bloke "You think I'm kidding, don't you...??" :|
I’ll be pulling stunts like that 3X a week when I’m retired....

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.