A Kaiser is born!

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: A Kaiser is born!

Post by bort »

Mark Finley wrote:I don't see why a rotary CC is a mismatch. Or a piston F for the matter
Just based on country of origin and the typical preferences of those countries.

Very loosely (and satirically!) speaking...
CC tubas are made for 'Muricans, and this land is piston land. It used to only be BBb piston land, so do your best to assimilate that shorter-length tuba with what's already here. Being CC and rotary is two "differents," and people will make fun of you.

F tubas come aus dem Vaterland, and they belong with rotary valves. It's tradition. The end.

People don't go switching keys and valves around too often, especially when going for mass-market give-people-what-they-are-looking-for manufacturers. At least not in the first few rounds of development.

After time goes on, the purpose of a manufacturer isn't to play the game of making all possible combinations of things on all horns, but to decide what works best, and more importantly what SELLS best. There will always be things that some people like more than others, and they might just not be deemed worthy to exist in mass production.

Frankly, I think the star with the mushroom top looks cool, and I'd love to see it more in Mario 3... but you'll never see it elsewhere in the game.

Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

bloke wrote:Just fwiw...
Here's the German version.
The bell flare shape is more radical, whereas the new Chinese instrument's bell flare shape seems to represent a significant compromise towards normality...which really doesn't matter, if it ends up being a great tuba.

A smaller bell flare version is in the works. It'll be called the Kaiser Presence.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Mark Finley wrote:The cerveny 601 and the Neptune are very close, of course I have a 601 that I love, so it would take a lot to get me to change.

I'm surprised that Jonathan (former tubenet name "neptune") has not brought a neptune to the marketplace. He's obviously a fan.

And this isn't meant as a slap to his business practices, but with all of the Niche instruments he's had built and brings the to the marketplace, a Kaiser Rotary CC tuba is where he draws a line in the sand???

Maybe he thinks the marketplace is saturated, (miraphone, Tuono, ect) but I think there's room for an affordable Rotary CC out there, especially one larger than the standard 186 size
I did say (or at least mean) not a CC version of this Kaiser tuba (because we don’t think it suitable for such key conversion) - not that Wessex will never do a rotary valve 6/4 CC of any design.

Finding how much better the Wessex Chicago plays than even my special handmade Neptune, I would be far more inclined to use a York style body for a rotary valve CC if that proved possible - but it is not imminent - there are quite a few other planned developments to complete before even considering.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Is $9,500 considered a budget horn these days?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Doc wrote:
Ken Crawford wrote: A smaller bell flare version is in the works. It'll be called the Kaiser Presence.
Call the big one the Kaiser Wilhelm. That way I can feel like it's my own personal signature model.
I’ll take a smaller 5/4 and call it the Kaiser Willy!!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

For those who wanted the dimensions of the Kaiser, the bore is 21mm (0.827”), bell 450mm (18”) and height 1148mm (45”).

And to clarify we are not planning on making with different size bells.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Here is the Kaiser now silver-plated being play tested by me.

BTW Although a huge tuba, it only weights about 23lb due to being all hand-hammered from sheet brass.

Now with me in the care of British Airways flying back from China...
AndyCat
3 valves
3 valves

Post by AndyCat »

Wyvern wrote:Here is the Kaiser now silver-plated being play tested by me.

BTW Although a huge tuba, it only weights about 23lb due to being all hand-hammered from sheet brass.

Now with me in the care of British Airways flying back from China...
Will Carl get this at any point Jonathan, I'd like a try!
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

How’s the rotary valve click-clack? Any improvement?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

MikeMason wrote:How’s the rotary valve click-clack? Any improvement?
There is no click-clack. That was pre-quality assurance at factory and has long since been solved. No Wessex are ever accepted today with noisy valves (or any other defect as far as we can check)

Anyway this is lovingly made in the Wessex high-grade factory by craftsman to western standards - not your regular Chinese workers. I say lovingly, as each tuba is made by one craftsman who obviously take pride in their work (I have been observing them this last two weeks)
Last edited by Wyvern on Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

AndyCat wrote: Will Carl get this at any point Jonathan, I'd like a try!
I don’t think so - this is not aimed at the British market. But I can bring up for you to try together with the new compensated BBb in the next month
Tigerreydelaselva
bugler
bugler

Post by Tigerreydelaselva »

It's a great horn... I would like to try it...so it's difficult to me because I do not live in the US or Europe. I live in Argentina...just a question...would be the possibility of make a bell with a conical shape "smokestack" bell...?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Tigerreydelaselva wrote:would be the possibility of make a bell with a conical shape "smokestack" bell...?
The bell diameter (18”) is the same as the original B&F Kaiser, so why would you want smaller?
Doc wrote:I’ve been secretly hoping for another round of sound samples...

(Sorry, Jonathan... Those two Youtube videos simply aren’t enough. I’m afraid my affliction is strong.)
There will no doubt be later including (hopefully) video review by Chris Olka