York 6/4 CC --- SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Himes
bugler
bugler

York 6/4 CC --- SOLD

Post by Himes »

SOLD .

For sale is a 6/4 J.W. York and Sons tuba, converted to a front action CC by Bob Rusk. This instrument was formerly owned by Mark Wolfe of the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and was cut at his request. The body was discovered -- as an unused-and-in-poor-condition top-action BBb -- in a Hollywood movie trunk, and given new life through this conversion process. Mr. Wolfe used the instrument for many years in his professional career.

Over the past ten years, I have used this instrument in all settings through two university degrees, and into my professional career. It is a surprisingly nimble 6/4 horn, and I have used it as a solo instrument, in bands, orchestras, and chamber ensembles. Of course, it is most at home when sitting in an orchestra or band.

Intonation is surprisingly good, and certainly workable. There are no ‘crazy’ problems that sometimes occur with cut horns. Tendencies are within normal range and quite predictable. Slots are wide and “lipping” pitches into place is an easy option without loss of tone quality. All slides move easily.

Response is extremely quick; this 6/4 tuba plays like some 4/4 tubas. Of course, the tone is a classic “York” sound. Valves are 100% (no wear/leaking/etc.).

The finish shows significant wear (see photos), as might be expected given the history of the tuba. She may not look like much, but she’s got it where it counts.

The instrument is located in central Pennsylvania. I am willing to drive a fair distance for interested purchasers to try the tuba, and am willing to meet a purchaser to avoid shipping the horn (though I will ship it at buyer’s instructions, risk, and expense).

This sale includes a black leather Cronkhite gig bag (purchased when Mr. Cronkhite was still making the bags himself), and an old - but functional - Walt Johnson flight case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Himes on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:13 am, edited 10 times in total.
Himes
bugler
bugler

Re: York 6/4 CC

Post by Himes »

Mark:

Thanks for the luck and the story! I've heard a few similar ones about Mr. Wolfe and this horn over the years. You've already cleared the biggest hurdle (your wife said yes!), so let me know if you change your mind!
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Mark Finley wrote:Omg

My wife just gave me the blessing to buy this horn, just based on what we heard 22 years ago.
May I say that with $11k, your options for a 6/4 tuba are huge and every tuba player you know would suggest you look at all the options before buying a big tuba.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Cthuba »

Whole heartedly agree with Adam. Very nice tuba!
Gnagey 4/4

That which is dead can eternal lie and with many strange aeons even tubas will fly
-A Misquote from HP Lovecraft.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Mark Finley wrote:I'm not really in the market, I just thought it was cool that my wife gave me permission
Well, that is cool. A woman who understands is a rare thing.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Himes
bugler
bugler

Post by Himes »

Bump.
ssbolas
bugler
bugler

Post by ssbolas »

Beautiful horn!
Frankentuba by Tabor
Former Navy Musician
Middle School Band Director
Spotsylvania, VA
Himes
bugler
bugler

Post by Himes »

Bump. Offers considered; price is negotiable.
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

Just another approach to justify the purchase, Mark: you should play it every day for your wife (a nice serenade like Schuberts Staendchen e.g.) and besides that about 4 times a year in concert.....
Best,
Hubert
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

Mark you can borrow mine and show her
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
ssbolas
bugler
bugler

Post by ssbolas »

I am surprised that this horn has not been picked up yet!
Frankentuba by Tabor
Former Navy Musician
Middle School Band Director
Spotsylvania, VA
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

A lot of options in the 6/4, $11,000 range. All have their benefits, and every tuba will eventually find it's person.
Himes
bugler
bugler

Post by Himes »

Bump. Price reduced.
RoosterTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by RoosterTuba »

Pictures? The google drive link has a blank folder for some reason.
Stefan Roose

GA Butler University
Wisemann 5/4 CC Tuba
Mack Brass "PT-15"
Himes
bugler
bugler

Post by Himes »

It seems to be working for me. Send me an email and I'll get them to you that way if it continues to malfunction.
Himes
bugler
bugler

Post by Himes »

Bump.
dasanchezr
bugler
bugler

Post by dasanchezr »

I wish I had that money! you can't get a deal like this usually!
Himes
bugler
bugler

Post by Himes »

SOLD.