Buying a tuba while being tall

The bulk of the musical talk
Fry
lurker
lurker

Buying a tuba while being tall

Post by Fry »

I struggle to play most tubas sitting up straight (I'm 6'2) and I feel as if it affects my sound. I play school-owned tubas: King 2341 BBb, Yamaha YBB-641, and Miraphone 1291 BBb. I've been looking into buying a CC tuba but I'm worried it might be too short. Any advice?
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Buying a tuba while being tall

Post by Heavy_Metal »

I'd say go to an instrument dealer and try some different tubas. Where are you located?
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Fry
lurker
lurker

Post by Fry »

I'm located in South Texas.
besson900
bugler
bugler

Post by besson900 »

If You want to buy new instrument try to talk with your dealer about putting you mouthpiepe(I wrote correct? ^^) higher.I had the same problem with 192cm tall and Melton put mouthpiepe higher like 1cm and it is working great now :)
olaness1
bugler
bugler

Post by olaness1 »

Moving the leadpipe higher, or getting a stand for the instrument would be two ways of dealing with it. Try a Besson 994 and see if you are tall enough...
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

If modifications or a stand don't appeal, I've seen a lot of success among my colleagues with a tuba/euph "pillow." Best build I ever saw was made with a folded bundle of fleece from JoAnn Fabrics, encased in rubber shelf/drawer-liner that is sewn or glued together strongly. I've also seen folks use black hockey pucks stacked/glued together, if you're inclined to set the horn on your chair rather than your lap.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

If modifications or a stand don't appeal, I've seen a lot of success among my colleagues with a tuba/euph "pillow." Best build I ever saw was made with a folded bundle of fleece from JoAnn Fabrics, encased in rubber shelf/drawer-liner that is sewn or glued together strongly. I've also seen folks use black hockey pucks stacked/glued together, if you're inclined to set the horn on your chair rather than your lap.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

There are a few really tall guys here, Mark Finley is like 6' 8", and I think Schlepporello is almost 7 feet. Maybe they can help.

FWIW, I seem to recall that Mark used a Cerveny Piggy for a very long time. Not a big tuba at all.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

A Miraphone 188 is the perfect height for me and I'm also 6'2".

Folded towels make decent cushions to make tubas/euphoniums higher.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I have the opposite problem. My torso is very short for my height, and a typical tuba placed on a seat bottom hits me about the bridge of my nose. I have to hold almost any tuba off the front of the chair with my legs. Stands give me backaches. I'm currently looking for a new Eb with a lower than usual leadpipe, and I am aware of the Fletcher leadpipe, which seems to only be available on JinBao and rebranded lower-line compensating Eb's.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

GC wrote:I have the opposite problem. My torso is very short for my height, and a typical tuba placed on a seat bottom hits me about the bridge of my nose. I have to hold almost any tuba off the front of the chair with my legs. Stands give me backaches. I'm currently looking for a new Eb with a lower than usual leadpipe, and I am aware of the Fletcher leadpipe, which seems to only be available on JinBao and rebranded lower-line compensating Eb's.
In high school, many many many years ago, I played a compensating Besson with a ball on the bottom bow that made it too tall to play. I folded a thin sofa pillow in half and tied it that way. I sat in the back half of the chair and sat the tuba on the chair between my knees. Perfect fit, but I was also much thinner in those days.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I am also 6'2" and it is a problem. I bought a Baltimore Brass stand and it has worked well for me.
JESimmons
bugler
bugler

Post by JESimmons »

I made a pad from a dense foam yoga block. Places like Academy Sports sell them in various thicknesses. I wrapped it in that medical tape that sticks mostly only to itself. It sticks just enough to my pants to keep the block from sliding.
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

I’m 6’3” and have never had too much trouble with any tuba. One can find an ergonomic balance by spending a little time getting used to an instrument, and adjusting how they hold it depending on the placement of the lead-pipe, valves, etc.

You can always grow a nice, fat, tuba-player beer-belly. So many of us tubists know how much that helps.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Buying a tuba should only be done when you are short!
Free to tuba: good home
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

King 2341 definitely has a short receiver (good choice for manlets), and is also too heavy to just put up on your lap for hours.
bessons on the other hand favor the tall as mentioned, and i'd say also B&S.
JCradler
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCradler »

Soap box time:
Get a tuba stand. Not one that displays the tuba, one that is for use while playing, sometimes billed as a "Tuba Rest". Baltimore Brass sells one, but it doesn't need to come from them. It allows any player to put the instrument, almost any instrument, exactly at the right height with any chair and sit up straight. I also allows the hips and legs to relax. The mouthpiece is always where it should be. You don't need to do anything to the tuba at a repair shop.
Yes, it's something else to carry, but it's worth the trade off in my opinion. I began using a BBC stand about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. In addition, there is the theory/belief that the stand carries extra vibration energy to the floor rather than into one's thighs. This, arguably, projects more sound to the audience. I don't care too much either way about that theory. I DO care about my comfort and posture when playing. In addition, my accuracy definitely improved when I began using a stand. I believe using a stand is the equivalent of an end pin on a cello or bass, we're just a bit late to the party since we play such a relatively young instrument.
To sum up- get a stand.
John Cradler
John Cradler
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

JCradler wrote: To sum up- get a stand.
Second. Sit with good posture then bring the horn to you, not the other way around.
[/post]
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

JCradler wrote:Soap box time:
Get a tuba stand. Not one that displays the tuba, one that is for use while playing, sometimes billed as a "Tuba Rest". Baltimore Brass sells one, but it doesn't need to come from them. It allows any player to put the instrument, almost any instrument, exactly at the right height with any chair and sit up straight. I also allows the hips and legs to relax. The mouthpiece is always where it should be. You don't need to do anything to the tuba at a repair shop.
Yes, it's something else to carry, but it's worth the trade off in my opinion. I began using a BBC stand about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. In addition, there is the theory/belief that the stand carries extra vibration energy to the floor rather than into one's thighs. This, arguably, projects more sound to the audience. I don't care too much either way about that theory. I DO care about my comfort and posture when playing. In addition, my accuracy definitely improved when I began using a stand. I believe using a stand is the equivalent of an end pin on a cello or bass, we're just a bit late to the party since we play such a relatively young instrument.
To sum up- get a stand.
John Cradler
Well said, and it reflects my experience exactly.Image Image Image
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com