York project?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

York project?

Post by humBell »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253880916640

I think it a BBb 4 valve, contrary to the listing title, but i could be wrong. (Obviously one of us is.) I leave it to the more York-savy Tubenetters to comment more meaningfully than that.

Seller says valves are leaky...
Thanks for playing!
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Re: York project?

Post by The Big Ben »

It looks much like a York 33. Kanstul makes a Model 33 BBb modeled on this horn.

http://www.kanstul.com/instruments/tuba ... cert-tuba/" target="_blank
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

You too can belong to this prestigious club.

Price of admission: $3,000 (valve job and shipping is extra)

("But it's a YORK")
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

They are considering best offers, so go ahead and offer whatcha think it's really worth (minus valve job and shipping, so long as that's > 0)

3k just takes the choice out of their hands, according to ebay as i understand it.
Thanks for playing!
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

humBell wrote:3k just takes the choice out of their hands, according to ebay as i understand it.
I (honestly) don't understand this statement - to what choice are you referring, and whose hands? Could you elaborate?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Once there are bidders (someone bids $3K), then the seller may no longer entertain offers and must sell to the highest bidder? Is that correct? I'm not an ebay lawyer. (It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense anyway, at that point it's in the seller's financial interest to see the auction through, barring very unusual circumstances where a buyer doesn't care about the cost and must close the deal today.)
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

roweenie wrote:
humBell wrote:3k just takes the choice out of their hands, according to ebay as i understand it.
I (honestly) don't understand this statement - to what choice are you referring, and whose hands? Could you elaborate?
The seller on ebay has a choice of accepting a "best offer" or not.

Where as they have made that choice already to sell at 3k, so they no longer have the option of not selling if someone ponies up 3k.

Sufficiently elaborated?
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Sorry...

Yeah. What Donn said. And his explaination is better and more general.

Neither am i an expert on ebay.
Thanks for playing!
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

humBell wrote:
roweenie wrote:
The seller on ebay has a choice of accepting a "best offer" or not.

Where as they have made that choice already to sell at 3k, so they no longer have the option of not selling if someone ponies up 3k.

Sufficiently elaborated?
No, not "sufficiently elaborated", actually (at least not entirely, anyway).

I understand the concept, but maybe I should explain that I don't understand the motivation.

So, the unusually high asking price is there to protect the buyer, not the seller, should someone actually offer the full price he's asking for? Why wouldn't he want to let it go for his full asking price?

(It seems to me that most of the rules are set up to protect the buyer, FWIW)
humBell wrote:Neither am i an expert on ebay
Well, that makes 3 of us..... :oops:

Forgive me for asking (my question is not meant to be sarcastic in the least) it's just I've never sold anything on eBay, nor do I understand the concept of rejecting someone who is willing to pay my full asking price :tuba:
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Might be making too much of it. The "offer" option is there, I guess, so that if no one is bidding, a potential buyer can make an offer lower than the minimum bid. The seller isn't bound to accept that offer. If you think you can get it for $1500, you're welcome to try, but don't count on it. But when someone bids over the minimum, the auction is under way. However low the final bid is, the seller is in principle obliged to sell the tuba to that bidder for that amount, and other offers are null and void.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

And sorry for lack of response. When i first posted it, it 3k was a buy it now price, so my initial comment was probably clearer in that context. I guess it is still valid in a sense, but not so cut and dry a situation. And yeah, i think i was just describing the situation as i understood it, not tryin' to make sense of it one way or another. If i ever try to make sense of the world... Well, it would probably be one Herculean task. Like cleanin' out the Aegean stables or something.

Anyway, to add to this wonderful confusion, there's another York BBb up. Looks like less of a project.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142950017411

Thanks for playing!